Why I hate the 40

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jw927

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    The author says the .40 represents the pussification of America, yet people still complain about its recoil...

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    The author says the .40 represents the pussification of America, yet people still complain about its recoil...

I see the "pussification" in terms of all the used .40 pistols on the market after people trade or sell them off after they find out they can't shoot the damned things.

You'll also be surprised how many of these people that got rid of their .40s can't shoot 9mm either.

Last edited:

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    10000_233119.jpg

Lone Wolf extended .40cal Glock Barrel ?

Last edited:

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Is this done to decrease liability to damaging 1911 chambered 10mm's? Or is it because they found out many of the people that buy 10mm's based on what they read online can't handle the actual performance of the 10mm? I have no idea. But 10mm auto is closer to being a semi automatic 357magnum than the 357 sig.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've seen load data for 10mm that pushes a 150 gr xtp at 1450 and 357 mag for 158 gr xtp at 1590. You would be hard pressed to find factory loads today that make that velocity with the exception of a very few companies. This is closer to the original loadings for these calibers than the 1250 fps of todays 357 mag. I'm guessing its for liability reasons but it seems like the guns wouldnt be the weak link. Metalurgy has come a long way since these cartridges were introduced. Maybe the manufacturers are just catering to the lowest common denominator thats willing to drop coin on their product. That would make it a marketing ploy i reckon. More ppl are willng to own the reputation that the uber magnums have earned but only if they can have the neutered version with no teeth.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've seen load data for 10mm that pushes a 150 gr xtp at 1450 and 357 mag for 158 gr xtp at 1590. You would be hard pressed to find factory loads today that make that velocity with the exception of a very few companies. This is closer to the original loadings for these calibers than the 1250 fps of todays 357 mag. I'm guessing its for liability reasons but it seems like the guns wouldnt be the weak link. Metalurgy has come a long way since these cartridges were introduced. Maybe the manufacturers are just catering to the lowest common denominator thats willing to drop coin on their product. That would make it a marketing ploy i reckon. More ppl are willng to own the reputation that the uber magnums have earned but only if they can have the neutered version with no teeth.

I agree in theory about the metallurgy. But do remember hearing stories about those Colt Delta's having problems and short life spans with the full 10mm. Of course that was before the internet so if I didn't read it on the internet it must not be true. :) I think the new 10mm's are made with better metals than the ones from the 1980's. But that wouldn't stop someone from trying use hotter than heck 10mm's in the old ones. So maybe the big manufacturers are hedging their bets? I obviously don't know. It could also be be because your average gun guy talks a lot and shoots little. So the idea of the 10mm feels much better than the actual firing of one. So I guess I agree with you for the most part.

Dave

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    357 Magnum loadings were downloaded because of all the snubby pistols and lighter frame pistols that were chambered in 357. When the 357 first came out it was chambered in larger framed revolvers like the S&W 27. Those little snubbies and smaller framed 357's like the S&W 19 won't take a steady diet of the original 357 magnum loadings of a 158gr bullet at 1500fps and the recoil is substantial as well. The 40 was developed after the 10mm was found to overpenetrate at the higher loadings so the FBI wanted 10mm Lite loadings to achieve the results that they wanted in ballistic gelatin tests. Someone capitalized on that and came out with the 40 S&W to duplicate those loadings in a shortened case and also to be able to put that in a smaller frame pistol instead of the bulky large framed 10mm pistols then available like the Colt Delta Elite and the Glock 20. The 40 S&W basically duplicates the old 41 Magnum lighter loading of a 210gr bullet at 1000fps vs. the full magnum loading of a 210gr bullet at 1350-1400fps. If you look at the ballistics, the 40 S&W loading duplicates the old 38-40 loading with the 180gr bullet. The 10mm loading in its hottest iterations still does not duplicate the full power of the 41 Magnum but it does hold more rounds.
    Unless you buy Underwood ammo or Buffalo bore ammo or load your own, most of the 10mm loads on the shelf are of the 10mm Lite variety and are little better than the 40 S&W loadings available. The 40 S&W also basically duplicates the 45ACP 185gr loading at 950fps,just makes a smaller hole going in but it does usually come with a flat tipped bullet instead of the roundnose of the 45ACP in the FMJ versions.
    All that being said, I can shoot a 45ACP better and by adding a heavier spring to my Springfield XD, I can shoot 45 Super in it which basically duplicates the full power 10mm ammo with a bigger hole going in.

Last edited:

WOLFIE

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Bossier City
    357 Magnum loadings were downloaded because of all the snubby pistols and lighter frame pistols that were chambered in 357. When the 357 first came out it was chambered in larger framed revolvers like the S&W 27. Those little snubbies and smaller framed 357's like the S&W 19 won't take a steady diet of the original 357 magnum loadings of a 158gr bullet at 1500fps and the recoil is substantial as well. The 40 was developed after the 10mm was found to overpenetrate at the higher loadings so the FBI wanted 10mm Lite loadings to achieve the results that they wanted in ballistic gelatin tests. Someone capitalized on that and came out with the 40 S&W to duplicate those loadings in a shortened case and also to be able to put that in a smaller frame pistol instead of the bulky large framed 10mm pistols then available like the Colt Delta Elite and the Glock 20. The 40 S&W basically duplicates the old 41 Magnum lighter loading of a 210gr bullet at 1000fps vs. the full magnum loading of a 210gr bullet at 1350-1400fps. If you look at the ballistics, the 40 S&W loading duplicates the old 38-40 loading with the 180gr bullet. The 10mm loading in its hottest iterations still does not duplicate the full power of the 41 Magnum but it does hold more rounds.
    Unless you buy Underwood ammo or Buffalo bore ammo or load your own, most of the 10mm loads on the shelf are of the 10mm Lite variety and are little better than the 40 S&W loadings available. The 40 S&W also basically duplicates the 45ACP 185gr loading at 950fps,just makes a smaller hole going in but it does usually come with a flat tipped bullet instead of the roundnose of the 45ACP in the FMJ versions.
    All that being said, I can shoot a 45ACP better and by adding a heavier spring to my Springfield XD, I can shoot 45 Super in it which basically duplicates the full power 10mm ammo with a bigger hole going in.

45 super- Now that is a neat round. My old HK 45 USC (GREY) rifle could handle the 45 super. Why did I sell it?.......

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    sandy hook panic made me rethink .40

I don't stockpile, though I will start in the near future for that reason. Not so much fear of ban, just that I know the gun community will be more than happy to create a demand that can not be matched

However, while looking for my then and still favorite pistol round, 9mm. I often saw boxes of normal priced .40. Taunting me.....

I have a .40 now because ammo you can shoot is better than ammo you can't. Gun shoots fine for me, and I like it. I will always prefer the capacity, but they are both handguns and suck for it.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I don't like .40 because everyone I've talked to that has one also uses the term "knockdown power" - so they and (to a lesser extent, the caliber) are immediately and thoroughly discredited.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    Its funny how you never hear that with 9mm

I roll my eyes and know that my .40 is just as garbage than any other handgun caliber and it carries less than 9mm.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Its funny how you never hear that with 9mm

I roll my eyes and know that my .40 is just as garbage than any other handgun caliber and it carries less than 9mm.

What we need is some magic bullet that doesn't obey the laws of physics and creates more energy without more recoil. Maybe we could make them really light, high velocity, and entirely out of copper? That should some how knock people down or turn them into frogs. Hell I don't know it's magic. :)

Dave

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    What we need is some magic bullet that doesn't obey the laws of physics and creates more energy without more recoil. Maybe we could make them really light, high velocity, and entirely out of copper? That should some how knock people down or turn them into frogs. Hell I don't know it's magic. :)

Dave

oh damn. I'm using that.

"its as likely to knock them down as it is to turn them into a frog."

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I don't like .40 because everyone I've talked to that has one also uses the term "knockdown power" - so they and (to a lesser extent, the caliber) are immediately and thoroughly discredited.

Wabbit you know ppl make the worst witnesses. Trust but verify.

Top Bottom