Why not?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    It seems like since the gun Mfg. Make a conversion for the AR to a .22 cal, Why not make a magazine that would fit in the .308 receiver that would convert it to a .223 / 5.56? Then you could use your .223 upper on the same lower as your .308 / 7.62. That would be a really versatile system I think.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It seems like since the gun Mfg. Make a conversion for the AR to a .22 cal, Why not make a magazine that would fit in the .308 receiver that would convert it to a .223 / 5.56? Then you could use your .223 upper on the same lower as your .308 / 7.62. That would be a really versatile system I think.

Why not? That seems awfully useless.

If you have a .223/5.56 upper, you probably have a .223/5.56 lower, so why wouldn't you just use those?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    They're also not cross-compatible. That means you'd need a proprietary 5.56 upper (among other parts) to go with the proprietary mags. With the current price of ARs, you'd probably spend half as much just buying a separate 5.56 gun with cheap mags aplenty.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I think it could be done, but the small market segment would make the cost unbearable for what you get.
    I have one of the CMMG .22 conversation kits, it works fine. Seems like it was about $180.
    I'm now wanting to build a .22 dedicated upper, using the CMMG bolt assembly.
    For an upper, barrel, handguards and the miscellaneous parts I'm around $450.
    To get the project shooting I'm pushing almost $650.
    I could just buy a .22 caliber AR or 2 Ruger 10-22's for that amount.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Are we talking about pinning a 5.56 upper to a .308 lower? They are not built to fit together is why not. Regardless of magwell size, the deminsions of the receivers are different.
    I think that's what the OP is asking. Nothing major compatible between the "AR 10" "LR-08" or any other 7.62x51 AR style rifle and the AR 15. Although they share the same design, the difference in case size called for differences in receiver dimensions and the size of other parts.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Last edited:

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    Are we talking about pinning a 5.56 upper to a .308 lower? They are not built to fit together is why not. Regardless of magwell size, the deminsions of the receivers are different.
    I think that's what the OP is asking. Nothing major compatible between the "AR 10" "LR-08" or any other 7.62x51 AR style rifle and the AR 15. Although they share the same design, the difference in case size called for differences in receiver dimensions and the size of other parts.

I know it would be difficult with current stuff. Im saying why cant the Manufacturers come up with a one lower receiver system that would do it all, so you don't have to own different weapons. I can convert my .223 lower from a carbine to a long range varmit rifle in a few seconds. you can make it a .22 rimfire just as easy. It would be cool to be able to make it a 308. So if the lower receiver obviously wont work, why cant some one make a set up that would? You guys have no imagination. The way you think, we would all be driving buggies and plowing with mules. It can't be done isn't an option. It hasn't been done yet is all.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Not only that, with what's available now, it doesn't make sense to have a bigger heavier rifle to shoot a 5.56 round. My sig 716 is over 9 lbs before optic, magazine/ammo, etc. would I want a 10lb 556 rifle? nope!. You usually dress for the occasion, just like when shooting, you usually bring what ever is capable for what every sport or game you plan to do. The 5.56 to 22lr and also longer barrel platform swap you speak of is easy since it uses the same diameter projectile, and for the most part about barrel length the same round. The 22lr being a smaller munition, which is easier to adapt.

If 1 gun can do it all, than it would have been done so instead of the 1000's of different guns out there today.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mmabone
    Top Bottom