Why there is a shortage of ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    just a rinse/repeat of the gun price gouging.

as long as people are stupid enough to pay those prices, it will continue. supply/demand 101.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm digging up some interesting stuff both short and long term (2 years plus). given industrial demand for component metals, I think the days of super cheap ammo are over forever. That has nothing to do with the current panickyness, but it is really interesting.
    You going to post your paper publicly or should I sign up for the mailing list? lol If the latter... I'd like to read it for sure.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    You going to post your paper publicly or should I sign up for the mailing list? lol If the latter... I'd like to read it for sure.

I'm going to post it on here. I hope the grammar nazi's don't come out in force though. It won't be a "please edit my term paper" thread lol.

It will, however, be well sourced.

The craziest thing I've found so far? There's NO hard data concerning the number of rounds produced each year domestically. None. The major ammo manufacturers will not release that information.

Last edited:

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    just a rinse/repeat of the gun price gouging.

as long as people are stupid enough to pay those prices, it will continue. supply/demand 101.

This. Earlier today I had a case of 5.56 in my cart at .57 a round. Then I remembered buying at .55 in 2009 and watching it drop to .28 by 2012. I threw it back. As long as I have enough to hold on to, I can wait for fun time ammo to come down.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yeah; Free Enterprise sucks!

But don't fret; the pretender is working on over taxing and over-regulating that to just a memory.

Turn Key

Stuck up North
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The craziest thing I've found so far? There's NO hard data concerning the number of rounds produced each year domestically. None. The major ammo manufacturers will not release that information.

They probably cannot meet the demand due to the increased number of new gun owners PLUS the added weight of the resellers capitalizing on the demand.

It's my opinion it's gonna be at least 18 months until we see a new normal in supply and this time there will be a new normal on ammo prices too. I'll bet at least a 10% bump in the prices.

The last ammo run ( 08-09' ) I can not remember all the resellers getting involved. How about you all?

TK

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I'm one of the new gun owners. But I haven't gone nuts trying to stockpile enough ammo for a small army. I've just been lucky enough to replace what I've been shooting. I'm sitting on 600+ rounds of 9mm, about 1,000 of .22, 400 different shot sizes of 12 gauge and 200 of 20 gauge. Don't even have a 20 gauge yet, but I promised the boy one for his birthday later this year. He wants to try his hand at skeet. It was too good of a price to pass up the 20 gauge shells so I bought the two 100 round boxes.
    Considering the last time I took my son to the range he shot up 1500 rounds of .22 and we both shot 300 rounds of 9mm, I think my current inventory isn't really hoarding.
    I went to the range yesterday and shot 50 rounds of 9mm just to try out two new magazines. Threw about 200 rounds of .22 downrange while I was there too. I can afford my new habit. What I can't afford is to miss two hours of work each weekday to stand in line with the goof balls pictured earlier in this thread. I refuse to may over $.40/round for 9mm and no more than $.11/round for .22lr. My patience has paid off by scoring some good deals online. I've stayed within my budget even with shipping costs factored in.
    Just my two cents worth.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    I'm going to post it on here. I hope the grammar nazi's don't come out in force though. It won't be a "please edit my term paper" thread lol.

It will, however, be well sourced.

I think posting your term paper here is great Sir...However; if your age entry here is correct at 26 aren't you a little old for High School? Just saying lol

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    30 to 60 minutes before doors open? If you get there at that time, you'll probably miss out on whatever it is you're going there to buy. I run into a guy from time to time at Wal-Mart on weekends that told me this story. His friend arrived one morning at Academy in Covington at 4 am and was first at the door. He got tired of seeing the same few people always at the front. When he arrived at 6:30 each morning. A few minutes later, the guy that is always seen first in line shows up. I suppose that same guy who is always first is there every morning around 4 am waiting for the doors to open at 8. These guys need to get a life.

Guy behind the counter at Academy in Slidell told me he's heard of other locations putting out some in the morning for the guys at the door and then putting more out at midday. He said Slidell wasn't doing that though. I would rather see them save all their shipments that they receive during the week and sell it all on the weekends. That ain't gonna happen though.

Fixed it for ya'... ;)

trout25red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Best Bank
    Taking Classes with your girlfriend, she needs help in Sex Ed (Lab). You know how it is :D
    3qqgdd.jpg

acman1997

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Both academy stores in baton rouge look the same way every morning. Most fools just trying to re sell the ammo to profit off people. I think they are dirtbags but its a free country. The fools paying the high prices are just that fools. I personally just go there every so often to replace what i shoot which is not an easy task with these idiots buying stuff up.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I would gladly pay $50-60 for a 550rd box of .22's just so I didn't have to stand in line. Luckily I still have 20 bricks in inventory and another 4 bricks in loose ammo in my junk drawers and about 3000 bullets to reload for my 223 along with primers and powder and another 2000rds of loaded ammo and no, none of it is for sale. I might trade it all for a newer model Honda Foreman 4x4 with low hours or similar like an Arctic Cat.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom