Wilson Shok-Buff...?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cornbread504

Drink coffee and destroy.
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Uptown NOLA
    I am coming into a RIA GI soon and I have been ordering grips, mags, holster and some other stuff.. mainly as a result of nothing else productive to do. I have read reviews online about the Wilson Combat Shok-Buff Recoil Buffers but wanted to see if any of you guys have any personal experience with these. Is this something that exists mainly for competition shooting?... carry? I do realize that every day 1911s are fired over and over without these things and nobody has any complaints for the most part, but if its that noticeable of a difference then it just might be worth seven bucks. If you're not familiar with these read more here

whats the word?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I am coming into a RIA GI soon and I have been ordering grips, mags, holster and some other stuff.. mainly as a result of nothing else productive to do. I have read reviews online about the Wilson Combat Shok-Buff Recoil Buffers but wanted to see if any of you guys have any personal experience with these. Is this something that exists mainly for competition shooting?... carry? I do realize that every day 1911s are fired over and over without these things and nobody has any complaints for the most part, but if its that noticeable of a difference then it just might be worth seven bucks. If you're not familiar with these read more here

whats the word?

From what I understand, it's just a piece of rubber that your gun chews up over time that will then get stuck in the inner workings and cause a malfunction. It's about as useful as an accuwedge. I threw mine away when I got my Wilson, not that it mattered in the end much.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    From what I understand, it's just a piece of rubber that your gun chews up over time that will then get stuck in the inner workings and cause a malfunction. It's about as useful as an accuwedge. I threw mine away when I got my Wilson, not that it mattered in the end much.
    This

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    I not only run one but also run a Dawson aluminum one in front of it. In my 40 and 45 there is a noticeable difference in percieved recoil because I do not feel that sharp hit the slide makes when stopping. In my 9mm, I run just the rubber shok buff and it is still like new after 2000 rounds through the gun because of course there is not as much recoil force compared to the other calibers. What it comes down to is personal preference. Get a pack and try them out. I does not cost that much and if you do not like them you can mail them to me.

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The buffer will shorten slide travel. I used to run 2 of them in my Caspian 38Super to ensure that the slide wouldn't lock back. The slide would not go back far enough to reach the slide stop.
    Some guns need that extra 1/16" - 1/8" to function properly.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    They will eventually fail and come apart inside the gun, had it happen personally. Gun was dead in the water.

If you still wanna mess around with them I think I have a couple laying around.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Some OLD alloy frame guns, such as the Star PD used them to keep the gun from cannibalizing itself.

Most modern alloy frames are much stronger and don't require them.

Cornbread504

Drink coffee and destroy.
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Uptown NOLA
    I do beleive I have all the details i need now... not worth it to try to cut down recoil that isnt that bad in the first place.. you guys sure do come in handy. thanks!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom