Winchester 1400 advice needed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Hi all. I have the opportunity to pick up a used Winchester 1400 for a very good price. Just looking for some info on what to look for in regards to reliability issues. I'm guaranteed to buy it because the price is too damn good for me to pass up. Simply wondering what to expect down the line.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Picked up the shotgun yesterday. Only issue is a cracked and chipped forend. Still supposed to shoot fine though (going to test fire tomorrow). Does anyone know of anywhere that sells reasonably priced wooden forends? Cheapest I could find online were $85 used, and considering I only paid $50 for the gun not sure if I want to spend that much just for 1 part that doesn't affect it's shooting.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Just got back from finally getting to shoot the 1400. Gun functions fine, but the forend slides forward after a few shots. Doesn't affect the operation of the gun at all. Does anyone know how to fix this issue at all? Gets annoying having to keep sliding it back down every few shots.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Would love to find out some more info on the 1400 myself......I have the 20ga. in 2 3/4, it's a jam o matic, no matter what shells I run through it !!!

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Gas nut is the cap in front of the forarm that you undo when you disassemble the gun. IIRC this is the same as a Sears Ted Williams model 300, which I got from my Dad for my 15th birthday. Still have it and functions perfectly. My brothers still have theirs too!! Shot many a duck, dove and rabbit with it and is still the shotgun I use when I get the opportunity to do some small game hunting.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Gas nut is the cap in front of the forarm that you undo when you disassemble the gun. IIRC this is the same as a Sears Ted Williams model 300, which I got from my Dad for my 15th birthday. Still have it and functions perfectly. My brothers still have theirs too!! Shot many a duck, dove and rabbit with it and is still the shotgun I use when I get the opportunity to do some small game hunting.

Thanks for the info. Checked that already and it's tight. Finger tight at least. As I said it doesn't affect the function at all, just a minor annoyance. I have read that there is an O-ring available, that wasn't included in original configuration. Would this be worth getting?

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Hand tight is all it should be--otherwise it would be a royal PITA to field strip or clean. You should never put a tool on that cap. Not sure about the o-ring. Does the wood look excessively worn on the receiver end or the nut end? Thats the only thing I can think is going on here.

meauxcg

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 27, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    dude I wish I would have gotten to you sooner. Guns and Ammo rated that gun as one of the worst 5 guns of all times, right below the "rocket gun". I had one and the extractor broke and would never function again even after replacing it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom