Windham vs Black rain ordinance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Devi1Dog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Hammond, LA
    I am in the market for a new 5.56 but am torn between these two. Any information or opinions would be helpful. I know that there is a large price difference between the two but I like the feel of both of these.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    My Windham HBR is terrific. Accurate and 100% so far (no misfeeds) in about 500 rounds of all 55gr Lake City and a box of Tula 55gr.

I replaced the trigger with an ACT model from ALG Defense.

I might put a Magpul Handguard in the future, but so far I'm glad I bohhjt it.

USEY

Louisiana Trash
    Rating - 84.6%
    11   2   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Hammond Louisiana
    I got a black rain/rguns for sale...and I can twll you now black rains quality is on a much higher level than Windham....IMO anyways.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I had a BRO and it was fantastic. 3 friends have the cheaper Windham and they seem to be very good for the money.
    Overall quality/resale value would go to the BRO, initial purchase value to the Windham, IMO.
    (If you can afford it, get the BRO -- if money is tight, get the Windham.)
    Ramble over.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I wouldn't say Windham is an entry level AR. It is definitely top notch construction. I've owned a Colt Sporter before and the WW is every bit as good as the Colt. Finish is extremely well done, better than Colt.

So people ding the Windham on a couple of things:
    Only 1x9 twist currently offered. I prefer the 1x9 twist. I only shoot the lighter bullets and rarely anything over 75 grains.
    WW does not stake the receiver extension nut. People complain about that, but so many people change out the rear buttstock that WW decided to leave it unstaked. (And I've already removed mine twice.)

WW uses a commercial spec receiver extension rather than a milspec type. I'd prefer milspec, but that piece is a non issue for me.

Resale value? I guess a Colt would be the big daddy for resale purposes, but who knows what rifle companies will be around in 10 years. I don't buy firearms for resale purposes. I bought mine for 990.00 and I'm pretty sure in 20 years when all firearms are banned (I hope not) it will be priceless.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    I guess it really comes down to the options on the rifles themselves in terms of configuration to me. Which one meets what you want the closest. Everyone has their personal preference.

I had a 308 BRO for sale in the shop and it seemed like a well assembled rifle. I like the fact that the use POF uppers and lowers. I didn't like the thickness of the handguard and i think the 223/556 rifles are thick as well. I liked the fact that they use a timney drop in trigger. That being said I would rather a JP over the BRO for that price point of their 556/223 selection. I'm really thinking of picking up a gladiator build.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    The issue with the post above is it is based on 520 rounds fired. You don't need to remove a castle nut to chan[ge a stock btw.

Read this thread. Post #6 is pretty informative.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=136037

Correct.. sorry. I removed castle nut to add the single point sling adaptor and once just to take the whole lower apart. I'd never done that before. But you will need to take the castle nut off if you decide to put a milspec rcvr extension on if the buttstock you want won't fit a commercial type.

Didn't say I did an exhaustive test.
    500 rounds is not enough to know how a rifle will do long term. Agree with you on that.

I see know reason to stake the nut anyway. Torqued with a couple drops of blue loqtite is all that's necessary.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Good thread from M4carbine.net ... but keep in mind, post no. 6 is written by a USAF cop, not someone who's shot AR platforms for a living. I haven't eitherofor that matter.

I've read enough about WW to know they are serious AR builders. I'm planning on shooting two rifle courses this year. I'll find out then what my money really bought I suppose. :)

There's some good youtube video reviews on WW, a couple of them going through mag after mag as fast as they can fire and the WW just goes and goes. Pretty cool to watch.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You can say they are serious if youd like. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, however you cannot debate that other companies choice of parts and manufacturing processes are of a higher level. Is xwarp your login on M4c?

I don't know what a black rain AR costs, but I would assume it isn't much less than a Colt.

Last edited:

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    I've seen a buffer tube back out during a class one time. The castle nut wasn't staked and the buffer retainer pin & spring got all kinds of mashed up in the trigger. The rifle would not shoot. From that day forward, I only trust a staked castle nut. While blue loctite may work for some, I only trust a properly staked castle nut. It's easy enough to do if it hasn't been done.

Top Bottom