Wood finishing question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I stained something and grabbed a can of varnish off the shelf. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it was glossy until it was too late. Not really happy with the finish. Any option other than stripping?

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you can find the same varnish in a less glossy finish, you could try to sand with high grit and recoat with the less glossy finish.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    If it in real varnish, problem is it takes so long to really dry hard enough to sand without globbing up so wait a little. Then try and get the same brand varnish in semi so it will be friendly with the base coat. Cut just a little with thinner before you recoat. I know with lacquer (on guitars) I always spray gloss and if I want satin I wait till it dries and rub it out with super fine steel wool instead of polishing. I suppose if you wait long enough for the varnish to really harden up you could do the same thing

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I did the same thing with a gun stock im working on. I wasn't sure how glossy I wanted it so started with a gloss and wasn't happy with it. i sanded with 180 grit and applied a semi gloss. It's almost done and I like the appearance much better

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    image.jpg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    No problem at all. Steel wool though in 00 or med to fine. No sandpaper. Stay off the corners or edges. Take it down pretty good. Make sure you don't have any lines or dimples that are still shining. Wipe it with a cloth barely dampened in mineral spirits and dry with a clean one. Blow off any lint or dust and coat with the satin finish. I've done this more than once and was very pleased with the results.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I used Polyurethane, not true varnish.

I'll try some OO steel wool first and see how it looks next weekend. I'll post pictures eventually... Thanks guys!

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I used Polyurethane, not true varnish.

I'll try some OO steel wool first and see how it looks next weekend. I'll post pictures eventually... Thanks guys!

With Poly you can definitely recoat after sanding with a lower gloss finish. Sanding alone could make it better but it's very difficult in my opinion without the scratch patterns showing through the finish unless you use a really fine grit which tends to make it shine more.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    With Poly you can definitely recoat after sanding with a lower gloss finish. Sanding alone could make it better but it's very difficult in my opinion without the scratch patterns showing through the finish unless you use a really fine grit which tends to make it shine more.

^^^ Wood Jedi.

Top Bottom