World Wars

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kcabear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Gueydan
    Anyone else planning on watching World Wars on History? My poor wife has been stuck watching WWII in HD all day, she said at least she didn't have to watch The Pacific or Band of Brothers again.
    She did have an hour break while I went burn up some rounds.
    4e7yse3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Just turned it on. Let's hope they don't screw it up trying to be PC. I've also been watching Turn on AMC. That's an eye opener.
    I like the pic of your Garand Dad.

Kcabear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Gueydan
    Yeah I have high hopes for it. Gonna have to check out Turn.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    Pretty good so far but very generalized - they also glazed over or skipped a lot of important things. It is more about their choice of major characters than the wars themselves.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I am really enjoying it. I like the focus that is on a few central figures in WW1. This show helps people to better understand the causes of WW2.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Got rained out today, watched it all day while I wasn't passed out with fever. Seems very good, and I like that it focuses on the central characters and their personal development, it gives a whole new aspect to everything, plus we've already got countless documentaries focused on the events themselves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    After watching the second episode I still like it but it is full of inaccuracies. Nothing serious I guess but it can be a little misleading. I'm just curious if they'll include the most important military man of the war - so far he hasn't been mentioned.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My wife tried to ruin it for me. She told me that at the end who loses and who wins.
    I told her with all the inaccuracies that may change.
    I think she may have been tired of it since I did record WW2 in Color before it came on

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I noticed the inaccuracies too!

Why would there be inaccuracies in a historical documentary? That's insane!

Wait, what am I saying? The pretender is going to be the greatest president of the modern era in 15 years.

Last edited:

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    After watching the second episode I still like it but it is full of inaccuracies. Nothing serious I guess but it can be a little misleading. I'm just curious if they'll include the most important military man of the war - so far he hasn't been mentioned.
    are you talking about Rommel, I'm rather disappointed they haven't mentioned them in World War one. dude has a pretty good infantry book and good desert tactics

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    are you talking about Rommel, I'm rather disappointed they haven't mentioned them in World War one. dude has a pretty good infantry book and good desert tactics

It is noteworthy that Rommel was in Germany for his birthday on D-Day. That was his beaches. The documentary never even mentioned that he was even a significant part of the mistakes made. Now they did say that if Hitler didn't wait 72 hours to believe the invasion was in Normandy the Germans could have most likely stalemated.

You know who would have convinced Hitler in 72 seconds it was Normandy if he was there? ;)

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I'm ashamed to say I don't know near enough of the history of both WWI and WWII and I have stacks of books on both. I just never got around to reading them. I do like the episodes so far, but they do seem very general on most of it.

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    It is noteworthy that Rommel was in Germany for his birthday on D-Day. That was his beaches. The documentary never even mentioned that he was even a significant part of the mistakes made. Now they did say that if Hitler didn't wait 72 hours to believe the invasion was in Normandy the Germans could have most likely stalemated.

You know who would have convinced Hitler in 72 seconds it was Normandy if he was there? ;)

I thought he was back home for some war games. I would have figured the noteworthypart was the blitzkrieg in France and the tank battles in the desert. Der desert fox. Also would have been nice to hear about the pizza guy..... The Red Baron.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I thought he was back home for some war games. I would have figured the noteworthypart was the blitzkrieg in France and the tank battles in the desert. Der desert fox. Also would have been nice to hear about the pizza guy..... The Red Baron.

It appears this series is really focusing on the "leaders" of the conflicts. Which is fine, but if you are a casual WWII buff; this leaves a lot to the imagination. You simply can't just focus on the big 5 without mentioning Eisenhower, Rommel, Ghoring, & Montgomery. It appears this show wants to clearly vilify Hitler as the only person that mattered on the German side.

This show is not for the novice WWII student. You simply will not get the keynotes.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I found lots of inaccuracies with the props. Did you notice the smoke used to show the Navy gun (16"?) firing? What a Joke. There is real color footage of the Big Guns firing. And they made a big deal about "The Night of the Long Knives" but they never really said who was being killed. No mention of Rohm, the S.A. or Brown shirts so the casual viewer had no idea why they were targeted.
    At least the History Channel had some History for a change.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Even with it not being 100% right it was 3 good nights of tv.
    I also liked that they showed so many WW2 in color shows. was nice to see real footage.
    Patton with his Sidearm, 45acp rifles{tompsons} being shot lots of MG's, Grands, Carbines
    And of coarse the German and Russia footage

Top Bottom