Would you renounce your U.S. citizenship for $67 million?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Because that's basically what this guy did.

eduardo_saverin.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin.../17/gIQAtj1SWU_story.html?tid=pm_business_pop

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    For $67 million I could just move to Mexico, then cross back into the country and get all my $hit for free and STILL live here! Yipee!!!!

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    He may possibly save that much (on future potential earnings), but what they are failing to focus on is the tax paid already just for renouncing. He is paying a 30% tax already. Dems are just out to rob him blind because he doesn't want to cowtow to them anymore.

It's just more of the "look over hear at this while we do something you would really be pissed about if it was reported" BS we get from our gov't these days.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There are many others you may not know about.

The Campbell's soup magnate has renounced his citizenship to avoid taxes years ago. There are many other prominent millionaires that own very reputable companies here in the U.S. that have done it too.

The only down side is the protections afforded you right here on U.S. soil. But, most of these renouncers live in the Bahamas; so I guess the Bahamas are the least likely palce to have an insurgency. And if you have the money, you can probably fortify your compound and have the means to leave rapidy if you had to.

$67,000,000 is not enough for me to leave. But I would pay this leech government the one time tax on ALL of it, and be done with them. Wouldn't even put it in a bank to give them a penny more.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Not if I was worth almost $2.5B. I don't like all these dumbass taxes, but I'd rather keep paying them and live in Murrica than stop paying them and live in most any other place.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    My answer to the question asked in the OP is a flat-out

NO.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If I was handed $67 million dollars, I'd buy an island and GTFO of here without hesitation. If I was a billionaire, I wouldn't leave to save $67 million in taxes. Two very different things.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    If I was handed $67 million dollars, I'd buy an island and GTFO of here without hesitation. If I was a billionaire, I wouldn't leave to save $67 million in taxes. Two very different things.

For 67 million? Yes. Over 67 million in the scope of billions? No.

These two right here. 2.85 billion less 67 million isn't that big of a heartache.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    “The calculations and assumptions are not only erroneous, they also further perpetuate the false impression that tax was the reason behind Eduardo’s decision,” Goodman said, declining to cite specific errors. “His motive had nothing to do with tax and everything to do with his desire to live and work in Singapore.”

for those that didn't read the article..

but to the OP, it's too difficult to answer this question... if someone paid me $67 million US dollars to renounce my citizenship with no strings attached? yes i would.. if i were a billionarie and had to pay $67 million US dollars or renounce my citizenship? no i wouldn't..

kdick3

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Would you rather the Government force him to stay here so they can grab a portion of his income?

Look at what's going to happen with France. Proposed major tax hike for the wealthy to redistribute to the "working class", why wouldn't they leave? This will be made into a huge issue, the media will crucify him, and before you know it there will be legislation preventing American Citizens from leaving freely however and whenever they choose.

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Would you rather the Government force him to stay here so they can grab a portion of his income?

Look at what's going to happen with France. Proposed major tax hike for the wealthy to redistribute to the "working class", why wouldn't they leave? This will be made into a huge issue, the media will crucify him, and before you know it there will be legislation preventing American Citizens from leaving freely however and whenever they choose.

Already doing that. It's called the expat tax. http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2012/05/18/expats-face-steep-exit-tax-courtesy-of-facebook/

Top Bottom