WTB 1911 Handgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    Mirror - Remember these words. Good sh*t ain't cheap. Cheap sh*t ain't good. People will tell you a $500 1911 performs the same as a $3,000 1911. They are full of crap! Thing cost what they do for a reason.

Well, I agree with you only partially. I don't think the Rock frame is as strong as Springfield's, Colt's, etc. HOWEVER, I had a SA Loaded that needed extractor work, and my friend has a Kimber that I've seen jam several times while shooting. These guns may have the bells and whistles, better sights, and more accurate, but I haven't had a problem with the Rock yet (albeit it is new), but I can't say the same for some of the "higher end" 1911s I've been around. It may not win any competitive shooting matches, but it is accurate, and most importantly RELIABLE.

snapnek

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Woodworth, Louisiana
    Save your money until you have enough for a "higher end" 1911, you will not be disappointed!! When I was first looking for a 1911 I almost bought a couple different guns, then one day at the range another shooter told me to save my money and buy a Les Baer...he was correct. I bought my first 1911 from a fellow BS member and it was a Les Baer Stinger. He also had a Premier II for sale, I didn't know that he was just like a pusher and was getting me strung out on Baer juice!! A couple months later I called him and bought the Premier II!! I shoot it at my club matches and it awsome, I pretty much stink, but the gun is SWEETTTT!! I've been jonesing for another Baer, I'm always on the look out for a top end 1911, they are just that good.
    Save your money grasshopper, you'll be glad you did!!!
    Hey Buddy, you got anything for me, I need it real bad.......:eek3:

Knave

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Mirror - Remember these words. Good sh*t ain't cheap. Cheap sh*t ain't good. People will tell you a $500 1911 performs the same as a $3,000 1911. They are full of crap! Thing cost what they do for a reason.

What are you talking about exactly? Do you believe a $3000 gun performs 600% better than a $500?

You can buy a used Glock that will likely both outshoot you and outlast you. It will shoot thousands upon thousands of rounds without a problem and require very little maintenance or spending. And you can do it for a few hundred bucks.

Is a $3000 1911 made of magic? Will a .45 round shot out of a $3000 1911 kill people deader than a .45 round out of a $500 1911?

For a 1911 you can spend alot of extra money on custom work. You can spend alot of extra money on aesthetics. You can spend alot of extra money on after market parts to achieve various personal preferences, competition standards, and so forth.

You could also spend $500 on a reliable gun and be no worse off for it...IMO.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I just came rom the range where I put my first and only (complete) STI pistol through its paces. It is a Ranger II 9mm (Commander length). This is (now) the most well put together, most accurate pistol I own, and I have more than a couple 1911's; Colt, Springfield, Safari, STI/Caspian & Para. Two of the others are also Commander length and are nowhere near this accurate. The only ones I have that are, are my 6" and 7" longslides.

I realize it's *only* 9mm but it shot like a dream; very smooth with almost no recoil to speak of. It is VERY accurate and in the hands of someone who's a better shot than I am I'm sure you could just cut the centers out of the targets.

All that said to say I'm even more convinced that STI would be the way to go for you. I'd shoot for the Trojan but would be satisfied with the Spartan as a *starter* 1911.

What are you talking about exactly? Do you believe a $3000 gun performs 600% better than a $500?

Is a $3000 1911 made of magic? Will a .45 round shot out of a $3000 1911 kill people deader than a .45 round out of a $500 1911?

If the $3,000 gun hits the mark with less operator input, which may be all you're capable of in a SD situation, then yes, it may be 1,000% better and it might actually make someone "deader" than the cheaper one; deader meaning instant death as opposed to living for another 10 seconds and getting off a return shot, because your $500 pistol wasn't as accurate. It could happen...

x8obeob1oslqz1z7ua.jpg

sigmw9qi47b7hlod085q.jpg

Last edited:

cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    In the end, you'll just have to pick a gun that fits your particular philosophy on guns. I personally view them as weapons, nothing more. I enjoy shooting them, I believe in practicing with your weapon and becoming proficient with it, and I also believe that your weapon should be reliable. The Rock fits perfectly for me. I also have a Sig 220 that I got on a trade, also dead reliable. If you're going to shoot matches or you have an obsession with prettier 1911s, by all means get one; what counts is what will satisfy you.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    :eek3: I leave for twenty minutes and this is what happens? Lol, I'm aware that with added quality will almost always come with added cost. I wish I could go purchase an Ed Brown or Wilson as a first 1911.

The RIA will be as accurate and reliable as you can stand unless you are really just a hoss in competition.

I'm not saying the high end ones aren't worth the money, but the returns really do diminish more quickly the more you spend.

If you got the money and nothing but the best will do, by all means. There are quite a few good/reliable/accurate cheapies that will get the job done. The RIA tactical is a great 1911. There are better guns, but the RIA would get the job done. The Spartan, the SA Loaded, Kimber Custom II (if you can stand the swarts safety), Trojan, SA TRP, All the Dan Wessons are other good ones that aren't "custom".

Mirror

Out on the Track
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Holy crap. I swear, everytime I leave this thread alone for a little while, I come back and the thread has doubled and I have a bunch of PMs! Also, now people are posting gorgeous guns everywhere and I feel like a guest at the Playboy Mansion. What do you guys think of the STI Spartan toddrod posted? Would I be able to shoot that in production or would I need to spend lots of money to remove the wide mouth magwell and other hyper upgrades?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Holy crap. I swear, everytime I leave this thread alone for a little while, I come back and the thread has doubled and I have a bunch of PMs! Also, now people are posting gorgeous guns everywhere and I feel like a guest at the Playboy Mansion. What do you guys think of the STI Spartan toddrod posted? Would I be able to shoot that in production or would I need to spend lots of money to remove the wide mouth magwell and other hyper upgrades?

You wouldn't run production. You would run single stack or limited 10.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    It, my Spartan, is set up for Single Stack, and it is great for the matches at Nick's Shooting Range (especially with the loads I have worked up for it).

If you want to go Production - Look at my CZ.

Last edited:

Mirror

Out on the Track
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Oh I'm mainly looking for shooting competition as a novice. Idk if they division out Limited or Single Stack or anything.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom