WTB small frame 9mm revolver

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    After our conversation today, I've revised what I'm looking for to a small framed 9mm revolver with internal hammer.

Please let me know if you have one you'd like to sell for a decent price. I prefer FTF in the Slidell area. Thanks for looking.

~rc~

Last edited:

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    you might want to let her shoot one before you buy one. those things pack a little more recoil than you think. the lcr might be a better option for you. or if you get the j frame consider getting the hogue tamers

DevilDog0402

Jarhead
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    NOLA
    you might want to let her shoot one before you buy one. those things pack a little more recoil than you think. the lcr might be a better option for you. or if you get the j frame consider getting the hogue tamers

Yes they do. They aren't much fun to shoot. I have a couple buddy's that each fired a cylinder full of standard pressure .38s out of mine and refused to touch it after that.

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Yes, I can imagine. I have a small Taurus .357 that we both shoot. My main concern was getting her a firearm that had a decent load to it, as she will be living away from home due to work. I like our .380s but wanted her to have something with a little more punch. And with her carpal tunnel (sp) syndrome, she does find it hard to rack a slide. So I figured that it would be better to have a revolver. Maybe I'm wrong, have been in the past....a time or two.

Tuan, slide me a message and let me know what you'd take for the revolver. Thanks.

~rc~

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    seriously not trying to cut tuans sale but try a lcr. and see if you can find a magnaported j frame. or maybe a hammerless ruger sp101 with some 38 specials in it. the j frame really packs a punch

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    I appreciate all input as long as it's constructive. The one thing that put me off was where the cylinder release is on the lcr. Also, my wife found the grips to be a little big. I explained that she'd like that padding once she started shooting though.

~rc~

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    the cylinder release is actually quite nice on the lcr compared to the new s&w bodyguard. if you lived a little closer id say she could shoot them to see what she preferred. i just hate to see women get uninterested in guns because of a high recoil gun as a first.

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Yeah, I know your point. She does think the .38 special packs a kick and prefers to shoot her .380. I'd like to find a revolver in 9mm, I guess, now that I've had some time to study it. She had the chance to hold each at the store last night, and overall preferred the feeling of the S&W grip. It was the standard thin one on the nightguard. I didn't like the cheap looking laser on it though. The placement of the button is just bad. I did like the grip on the LCR but it seemed too big for her. And the cylinder release just seemed kinda weird to me, guess I'm used to the standard placement.

~rc~

p.s. I do know that 9mm is a semi-auto round, but I have seen revolvers come in it before. It doesn't seem that there are many options currently.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Yes they do. They aren't much fun to shoot. I have a couple buddy's that each fired a cylinder full of standard pressure .38s out of mine and refused to touch it after that.

I had two Louisiana POST Firearms Instructors fire one cylinder each with 110gr. +P+ from a J frame S&W and they went back to their .40's and would not fire the J frame any more.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I understand if she wants a smaller revolver for concealed carry, but there is no good reason to get an alloy or light weight gun in that size. Get the heaviest and largest gun she can conceal with her preferred method. I'd suggest getting it out of her purse and on her body, but either way would probably allow the use of something not quite as small and light.

Next, I suggest that you forget about +P loads, and just use normal 38 special--wadcutters would be great, but any target load will do. You are putting .38" holes in the bad guy, and any extra penetration or expansion of a hot load is not worth the recoil, if it at all affects her confidence and ability to shoot well.

jro6803

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have some 9mm revolvers - including at least one I would be willing to part with. As said earlier in the thread, you would want to shot one before you buy.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have some 9mm revolvers - including at least one I would be willing to part with. As said earlier in the thread, you would want to shot one before you buy.

You need to add your location in your profile.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Just to add some info, I have a taurus 941 9mm Da only gun. Built on the same small frame as the 85. I do not think 9mm is any softer shooting that 38 spl out of a gun this size. Seeing that you can get 38 ammo just about anywhere you can get 9mm I would say to stick with a 38. They are cheaper, and alot easier to find that a 9 revolver. Only real benifit I can see with the 9 revo is quicker reloads due to the moon clips that could the brass.

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Good info, thanks for the input. I've come to the same conclusion, although I was leaning towards a 9mm due to ammo cost for the range and the fact that I already shoot another 9mm.

~rc~

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom