WTF - Catalytic Converter Stolen Last Night - Exhaust Shop Recommendations?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I have a straight pipe to flowmaster super 44 on my 97 cherokee. Sounds good, not terribly loud but noticeable. Before I had a straight pipe to a stock type muffler(thats how I got the vehicle) and it wasn't much different sounding than a factory exhaust configuration. I also have an o2 sensor after where my cat is supposed to be. Luckily I dont live in an area that I have to meet emissions. I know its not a yota, but good luck! Straight pipe IMO, see how it turns out.

danthemanx07

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Mandeville
    FIXED!

It isn't pretty but it was cheap and easy. Here is what I used:

-2" OD exhaust pipe
    -2" ID pipe connector
    -2" OD to 2 1/4" OD pipe adapter
    -3 - 2" clamps
    -1 - 2 1/4" clamp

No more than $60 total.

It'll get me through until I can get the pipe welded in or until I decide to put a cat back in. I'll figure that one out down the road. Here it is:

Last edited:

blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    wow.. I've never even heard of anyone stealing catalytic converters. That strikes me as just a little insane. When I was in high school (in FL) I built up the engine in my car and straight piped it for a little while without any problems. Quickly realized I hated the sound of it and went back to the cat. Of course we didn't have yearly inspections in FL either.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    Awesome, It will get you through the time.

FIXED!

It isn't pretty but it was cheap and easy. Here is what I used:

-2" OD exhaust pipe
    -2" ID pipe connector
    -2" OD to 2 1/4" OD pipe adapter
    -3 - 2" clamps
    -1 - 2 1/4" clamp

No more than $60 total.

It'll get me through until I can get the pipe welded in or until I decide to put a cat back in. I'll figure that one out down the road. Here it is:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    OT. I am unfamiliar with a 'brake tag'. I Googled it, is it just an additional tax for the privilege of driving in the NO area? Up in north LA, they check your lights, horn, wipers, check registration and insurance. That is it, $15 or so per year.

danthemanx07

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Mandeville
    I think the term is a colloquial thing down here as they don't even check your brakes. I am not sure where the name came from. They called it an inspection sticker in MS, which makes a helluva lot more sense because it actually says "motor vehicle inspection certificate" on it.

It is the same as what you have described just with a goofy name.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    What year is your 4-runner ? This will help me be more specific on EXACTLY what to do and the cheapest way out.

In todays market, your converter probably brought the perp $45......... Use to be about $200
    You will set a code for Converter "efficiency" [ because you don't have one.....]

Yes you will need to fix/patch with a cheap converter to get an inspection sticker, but as long as you have the TEST pipes reconnected, the fresh air being sucked "IN" will not effect the primary 02 sensors causing your Fuel trims to go haywire.

Its gonna be better for you to install at least a Cheapo converter for now .
    [ Cheapo converters generally run about $60 bucks]

The Cheapy converters usually will NOT pass the on board efficiency test depending on the year model.

I promise you the Perp is gonna come back and "recheck" your truck.
    That NEW converter he steals the second time will bring him $80 because its BRAND NEW [ if it was a New factory one]...........

The older the converter , the less its worth.

Vince
    22five-40five-519nine

Last edited:

danthemanx07

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Mandeville
    What year is your 4-runner ? This will help me be more specific on EXACTLY what to do and the cheapest way out.
    I have some tricks for you, but I can not post them here.
    I will tell you via phone call , BUT if you share what I am gonna tell you, Ill have to cut off your Pinkey Toes ! and Im NOT kidding.

In todays market, your converter probably brought the perp $45......... Use to be about $200
    You will set a code for Converter "efficiency" [ because you don't have one.....]

Yes you will need to fix/patch with a cheap converter to get an inspection sticker, but as long as you have the TEST pipes reconnected, the fresh air being sucked "IN" will not effect the primary 02 sensors causing your Fuel trims to go haywire.

Its gonna be better for you to install at least a Cheapo converter for now, and use my tricks.
    [ Cheapo converters generally run about $60 bucks]

The Cheapy converters usually will NOT pass the on board efficiency test depending on the year model.

I promise you the Perp is gonna come back and "recheck" your truck.
    That NEW converter he steals the second time will bring him $80 because its BRAND NEW [ if it was a New factory one]...........

The older the converter , the less its worth.

For NOW the Test pipe [ with no leaks] and a few tricks will get you down the road and not totally ruin your fuel economy.

Vince
    22five-40five-519nine

Thanks for the info. I'll give you a shout tomorrow. I'd be interested in getting your input. I figure as much about the perp. I probably will just wait to replace with a real cat until I get a belly pan on.

IS that a pic of your Tailpipe ? Send a pic of the actual connection pieces.

No, it is actually a video of the truck running and of the pieces I installed. Nothing more than a piece of pipe with a connector, and adapter, and some clamps. Very basic.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Yeah, I don't know why they haven't mentioned it yet, but if your vehicle doesn't get smogged/sniffed for emissions; just throw on a pipe and an O2 simulator. $80 max, and you'll get a bit better mileage/power.

For the record, this is for "Offroad use only".

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I think the term is a colloquial thing down here as they don't even check your brakes. I am not sure where the name came from. They called it an inspection sticker in MS, which makes a helluva lot more sense because it actually says "motor vehicle inspection certificate" on it.

It is the same as what you have described just with a goofy name.

I didn't realize there were still actual brake tags issued anywhere but I have heard old schoolers use the term synonymously with "inspection sticker".

also, if the guy got in your car and drove it around the parking lot, he checked your brakes when he stopped.

Lokin4AReason

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    behind a desk ....
    your good with that fix around here ... they dont have testing for Co2 for tags around here ...

but else where and it would be a bit hard to get a tag on the car ....

i know around the BR area they do Co2 testing .....

Last edited:

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    From my experience with them, 90% of the 02 simms on the market do not work. [ for long term periods]
    The ones that do, still trigger the code unless custom programming is used.

Last edited:

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    Although it makes sense, can't believe thieves would go to this trouble. Was it sawed off or torched off - assuming sawed?

They're worth $200 at a junkyard; lots of incentive for thieves. I had them do it to an old car that was parked out front... only problem is that I had cored out the cat years ago, so all they got was an empty tube. I hope those ****ers cut themselves and got tetanus.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    They're worth $200 at a junkyard; lots of incentive for thieves. I had them do it to an old car that was parked out front... only problem is that I had cored out the cat years ago, so all they got was an empty tube. I hope those ****ers cut themselves and got tetanus.

Neither junkyards or scrapyards pay that much anymore. Some wont even take them.

Top Bottom