Xdm guru wanted

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FISHSTICKER

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    French Settlement
    Guys, Is there a local gunsmith who is all knowing of the XDM. I would like to talk to someone local about improving the trigger on my XDM and possibly going to a reduced power recoil spring and others as appropriate.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Eddie.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Springer Precision. Not local, but his trigger job is the ****. If you want to save some cash you can also order his DIY trigger kit. It gives you about 90% of the improvement his in-house job does.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I have looked at Springer and may end up going that route. I would just prefer to use someone local is possible. I like spending my money close to home.

The problem is there's not a lot you can do to that trigger without replacing parts. And Springer makes the best parts. If you aren't comfortable with the install (it does require minor fitting), then I'd worry about finding a smith.

FISHSTICKER

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    French Settlement
    So if you can rebuild a Toyota 22R you should be more than capable of handling the trigger work on the XDM? I am mechanically inclined, I just have not looked into what is required to replace the trigger parts in the XDM. I don’t suppose it’s as simple as replacing the trigger group in an AR by chance?

I’ll check into the DIY possibility. Has anyone here done their own?

Thanks for the info guys.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I did four of them for myself and buddies back when I was into XDs. It's not hard at all. All the parts are drop-in with exception of the trigger bar, which requires minor filing in two spots which affect the pre and over travel. You just go slow and keep trying the trigger along the way until it's right. The instructions are available online, once you read through them I'd bet you'd be comfortable with it. I'd help ya out if I was closer.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Lloyd Landry is an excellent local gun smith. Call him and see if you get the parts if he will put it together for you.

The Gun
    12326 Palmer Road
    Gonzales, LA 70737-6435 map

Phone: (225) 647-1909

moonshoxx

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I dont have any mechanical skills at all. I ordered the drop in kit from Powder River Precision and installed in 30 minutes. Zero pretravel and overtravel, Pull is about 3 lbs and reset is about 1/8 inch. Totally incredible and makes it a new weapon.

FISHSTICKER

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    French Settlement
    Moonshoxx:

I visited that site today. Which kit did you get? "Ultimate Match" or the "Drop In". You said drop in but just making sure......looks like the Match is a drop in with very minor fitting required.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    My .02...the PR kit is simpler and cheaper, but not on par with the Springer kit. It's a nice improvement but not quite all the way there. Also, the Springer kit only replaces parts, whereas the Powder River kit adds parts to the gun and I'm just not a fan of that.

moonshoxx

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I went with the TOTAL drop in. remember zero mechanical skills here. so minor fitting scared me.

Moonshoxx:

I visited that site today. Which kit did you get? "Ultimate Match" or the "Drop In". You said drop in but just making sure......looks like the Match is a drop in with very minor fitting required.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    i am not sure, and maybe i should know, what parts the PRP kit added. I took out 6 parts and put six parts back in.

There used to be a piece you would shoehorn onto the trigger pin, after taking another look it appears they integrated that into the trigger and striker safety. It still requires replacing more parts to accomplish the same thing as the Springer. Probably not a big deal, but I still prefer simplicity and retaining as many OEM parts as possible. That's just me though.

To be honest I've never messed with the newer PR trigger, so it may very well be magical, but just based on logic I prefer the simpler design. That said I've never heard anything bad about the PR, so I'm sure either will get the job done.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    There used to be a piece you would shoehorn onto the trigger pin, after taking another look it appears they integrated that into the trigger and striker safety. It still requires replacing more parts to accomplish the same thing as the Springer. Probably not a big deal, but I still prefer simplicity and retaining as many OEM parts as possible. That's just me though.

To be honest I've never messed with the newer PR trigger, so it may very well be magical, but just based on logic I prefer the simpler design. That said I've never heard anything bad about the PR, so I'm sure either will get the job done.
    I run the PR parts in my XD and have never had a problem. It's got quite a few thousand rounds through it, too.

FISHSTICKER

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    French Settlement
    I think I am going to order the PRP kit. Both have a lot of positive reviews gut thats the route I think I am going to go. After I get it home and installed I'll give a report.

Top Bottom