Xs big dot sights....your thoughts?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I've always run trigicon 3 dot sights and on my carry gun (G27) I'm really thinking about getting Xs Big dot sights installed on this gun. Anyone running these sights? I've read good reviews on them.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I've used them before and hated them. I'm used to sights where the top of the front sight meets the top of the rear sight.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Haven't shot with them, but the few times i've handled a gun with them, they are not for me. I can see how they could be fast up close but I don't see how they are as precise with that huge front and v'd rear

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I like them. They do take some time to gain proficiency with the sight picture. Once you gain proficiency with the sight picture I think they give you a fraction of second edge over other sights at concealed carry distance; the Big Dot is a easier to acquire. They don't provide any real advantage at distances outside of concealed carry ranges ~15 yards or so.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    My wife has vision problems due to retina surgery on her dominate eye. I thought the Big Dot might be the answer. She really did not like it and would up liking a traditional 3 dot set up better.

From my point of view after messing those sights, they will obviously work up close, but what I have found from classes and experience is that UP CLOSE you are really aligning the gun and firing anyway. I don't think the massive dot is really needed. What you trade off with the Big Dots vs. say Trijicon HD's is any precision at 20+ yards if you really need it. Now the odds of any of us needing to make a 25 yard head shot is probably statistically nil, but there you go.

Last thought. If you only have one gun, or you put Big Dots on everything you would probably do fine. When I tried to go between guns it really messed with me as I'm used to having the front sight "down" in the notch. I have multiple Glocks for different occasions and want a similar sight picture on all of 'em.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    My wife has vision problems due to retina surgery on her dominate eye. I thought the Big Dot might be the answer. She really did not like it and would up liking a traditional 3 dot set up better.

From my point of view after messing those sights, they will obviously work up close, but what I have found from classes and experience is that UP CLOSE you are really aligning the gun and firing anyway. I don't think the massive dot is really needed. What you trade off with the Big Dots vs. say Trijicon HD's is any precision at 20+ yards if you really need it. Now the odds of any of us needing to make a 25 yard head shot is probably statistically nil, but there you go.

Last thought. If you only have one gun, or you put Big Dots on everything you would probably do fine. When I tried to go between guns it really messed with me as I'm used to having the front sight "down" in the notch. I have multiple Glocks for different occasions and want a similar sight picture on all of 'em.

Well said. I messed with the XS Big Dots for a minute, but found the same. You gain a whole lot of nothing up close, and give up speed of accuracy and target picure at any distance. I find an orange dot up front as found on Trijicon HDs or Ameriglos (my fav) accomplishes the same thing without any sacrifice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I didn't like the fact that you "glue" the rear sight in place. Had a set so loose you can just slide the sight left to right with little effort before the "glue" that's included is used

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Well said. I messed with the XS Big Dots for a minute, but found the same. You gain a whole lot of nothing up close, and give up speed of accuracy and target picure at any distance. I find an orange dot up front as found on Trijicon HDs or Ameriglos (my fav) accomplishes the same thing without any sacrifice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What he said.

tboy528

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2016
    Houma, La
    Can't go wrong with the trijicon, they are more faster to pick up your target then the big dots I try them and they where not for me, I just could not get the hang of them

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    +1 on the Ameriglo's. I have I-dots on several pistols. Would really like to try the Hackathorn's at some point, but I seem to need a little something on the back to help with alignment.

SuperSolstice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Metairie Louisiana
    They're nothing like any other set of sights. I had them on my self-defense EDC pistols. Always liked them. Easy easy to sight in quickly. However, just by the design of it, its clearly not a product designed for precision shooting. Gotta keep that in mind.

Top Bottom