Y2K ammo dump

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wadewilson

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Alright, here's my situation: My uncle got scared before Y2K (I know) and he has a few thousand rounds of .45 and 9mm that have been stored in his closet, in old military surplus ammunition boxes. They're in pretty good shape, I've fired some assorted bullets. He wants to sell some of it off, and I'm planning on buying as much 45 and 9mm as he'll let go. Now, I've looked up prices for all of this stuff, at what it's selling for today, and I told him that, and he said to make him an offer. It's a large assortment of bullets, black hills, federal, pmc, hornady, american eagle, el dorado, black talon, and winchester. I'm just not sure what to offer him for 12 year old ammo. 75% of retail value? Half? I'd appreciate in suggestions, comments, advice.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    That ammo is just as good today as it was then, so that's not really a factor. You do know he paid a lot less for it, so definitely consider that. I'd honestly offer 1/2 of what it costs today, he probably wouldn't even lose money on the deal.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    If its been stored in the AC in ammo cans it's as good as new but I wouldnt pay near what I could buy new for. You should check gun-deals.com for the cheapest of each type of ammo? Remeber 12 years ago ammo was much cheaper than it is now, and if hes not big into guns the ammo in his closet is probably not worth much to him. Id probably offer 50% of what its worth today then maybe rebound to %75. Anything closer to what its going for now I woulnd't think its worth it.

Last edited:

wadewilson

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    ill take whatever you dont want.

Sorry, I think between me and a couple of my friends, we plan on cleaning him out over time. If he does decide to sell it all at once, I'll let you know, I'll probably post an ad in the classifieds here as well.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna talk to him about that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom