young adult seeking advice on hunting clubs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C.M.O.

Private Contractor
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2013
    Chalmette
    I am interested in getting into a club with land that I can shoot targets and hunt. I am a private security contractor working in new orleans and want to be able to go to land and practice shooting and moving. Mag change drills. Shooting from behind cover etc. Pearl River range just doesnt cut it. I have an 8 month old son and want to get familiar with hunting game so i can be a somewhat avid hunter to introduce him to hunting when he comes of age. Is there anything i.can look into to satisfy both of my needs without breaking the bank? I have no idea how renting land or joing a club works but "prime real estate" is not an issue for me whatsoever. Links would be greatly appriciated. I live in Chalmette so the closer the better. Thanks

Last edited:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    In most clubs, shooting targets and hunting do not go together. Every lease I have ever been on restricted shooting to hunting only. They don't want to scare the critters away and for safety reasons. I found my lease on Louisiana Sportsman. Check Mississippi Sportsman also.

Warning: Louisiana Sportsman was having problems with a virus. A GOOGLE search shows a red X next to the name indicating there is still a virus.

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    good luck with that, most places i looked at wouldnt even allow sight in shooting. also many clubs have seniority rules so the noob gets the worst areas, and crappiest days.

the "hunting clubs" down here either seem to be businesses(just want your money), or a group of "good ol boys" that are going to stick you in the worst chunk of land on the property(while paying the same as every one else)for a few years until somebody leaves so you can move into a better spot.

your best bet is leasing on your own, or with buddies. lots of land for lease down here, but its all $$$.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    A bunch of shooting scares the game away. I know some clubs are fine with sighting in your rifle, but practice for pistol shooting competition would rub other members the wrong way. Your best bet is to separate the two.

As far as hunting goes, you just have to find the clubs near you..... or hunt far away like I do. I hunt up in Mississippi, but the out of state license isn't cheap $375/year for Archery/Primitive Weapon/Gun Season for Deer.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    due to the lack of accessible public land Louisiana is the most expensive state(out of the 5 states i have lived in, and the other 8 i have traveled to for military or hunting activities) to hunt in.

C.M.O.

Private Contractor
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2013
    Chalmette
    My priority is training over hunting. So leasing some land would be my best option? Also, in honey island swap can u shoot targets not @ the range or is target shooting only allowed in the range? I would be happy with some land that was 50 meters wide by 200 meters long and deal with hunting grounds separately like Gus suggested. Is there that small of area available to lease , and i would or course make a back stop for safety . Thanks

Top Bottom