Your surroundings

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    So we have all these threads about holsters, where to carry, drills, and yet I have not seen much on awareness. I figured I would start this to see what other people are looking for as they go about there day. Do other folks on here pay attention to their surroundings when they go about the day or just go on without a care because they carry?

I personally tend to stay very alert and have a pretty good memory for where things and people are in a room. Additionally, I alway try to position myself where I can have a good view of the entire room and often the main entrance. If you stay alert what do you look for, or how do you position yourself?

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    This topic is very timely for me, Sigforty. When I was walking out to the car this morning, I was so caught up in listening to my wife (she was walking me out), that I did not pay a bit of attention to my surroundings. I had no clue anyone else was around until a young man said hello as he passed by. If his intentions had been other than honorable, I woudl have started out the fight in a DEEP hole.

I did stop and have a discussion right then with my wife about awareness and confessed how stupid I had been. She surprised me though - she had seen the guy down the block, sized him up, and made a conscious decision to proceed. Good for her, but shame on me.

I am looking forward to reading other people's techniques. Apparently, I need them!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The average person doesn't. Most of us do.

ALWAYS pay attention to your surrounds- whether you're walking to your vehicle, stopped at a red light, going into the local hardware store, walking to your deer stand, or walking out your front door. We should all know what being careless will get you.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Expect the unexpected, leave yourself an out. Its like driving in heavy traffic, being aware of what the other vehicles are doing is key to not getting in a accident. Pro-active is much better than re-active. :)

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Awareness of your surroundings is perhaps the most important survival tool. Predators often will not even bother with an attack on potential prey when spotted in advance. This is true for two-legged, as well as four-legged predators, who prefer to prey on the unaware.

I am generally pretty good, and do not have to consciously make an effort to be
    aware. I generally sit in corners with good views, etc. I find that technology is not our friend in this regard, as it is quite easy to be distracted while talking on a cell phone. Even worse, you are dangerously distracted while texting or using any data functions. I do make a conscious effort to not be on the phone, or looking at documents, while walking to and from my car, especially at the office or in public. If anything, I am not as vigilant at home, as I feel generally safe in my neighborhood; this is not good and thank you for making me think about it.

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    Your welcome from the post. It even gave me some more insight that I need to be a little more alert at home as well. I know while we all try our best everyone has some slip ups and realizing it is the best way to fix it.

If we think about today's world, as you mentioned Lou, there are so many gadgets to distract us. Just think about people cutting their grass using ipods or the such. There are a lot of areas we forget about that we would be vunerable in. Honestly, grass cutting is potentially a very vunerable position. It is hot right now, so someone may not have their gun handy, you could be tired, and there is a lot of noise.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I think I was 12 or so when I read Rogue Warrior (the original). Fairly early in the book, Marcinko discusses the practice of constantly war gaming with himself-- "what would I do if...?"

I thought it would be a cool thing to do, as my mind even then never really slowed down and I had a wonderful imagination. 15 years later, situational awareness and subsequent war gaming are second nature for me-- just like he said it would be in the book. The only time it lapses is when I have to really focus on in something specific, like being at work and being forced to pick up on every little detail. Although I don't miss a thing within my cone of focus, my general surroundings sort of melt into the back ground. Sucks, but it's unavoidable-- I'm not Superman, after all.

I notice more and more the people around me and their own levels of situational awareness. My girlfriend has flashes of genius, but is typically as oblivious as a doorknob. Her sister is worse. A couple of my friends are naturally cautious, as are a few members of my immediate family. While personality and mind set can certainly steer you in the right direction, it's my belief (and experience) that a conscious effort must be exerted to stay aware. Eventually, if someone remains diligent, it will become second nature and won't even seem like effort anymore.

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    Good posts here. I would like to think I am generally aware, but this morning definitely taught me that I can get much better. I guess it is a testament to my wife's beauty and lilting voice that I was off my game! "Uh, honey, I have decided you are a security risk . . . ."

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    I understand the desire to be aware of ones area and situation but I think some people take it a bit too far. Sure I maintain an awareness of what's going on around me but I don't have my head on a swivel and constantly scan the area. I relax and go about my day. Just because I carry a gun doesn't mean I'm going to stay on high alert. I relax and handle my business.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    The average person doesn't. Most of us do.

ALWAYS pay attention to your surrounds- whether you're walking to your vehicle, stopped at a red light, going into the local hardware store, walking to your deer stand, or walking out your front door. We should all know what being careless will get you.

I fully admit that I am clueless.. I am usually texting, talking to someone or on the phone. I know I should be better.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'll give an example. A few years ago, a guy who works with my brother @ one of our local plants in BR was on his way to work one night on a call-out. It's not the best area of town- but the guy travels the route everyday, so it was familiar territory. But familiar terrritory doesn't mean there's never a possibility of trouble....

It was a cool night, so he was riding with his window down. While stopped at a redlight, some guy runs up and knocks the crap out of him and tries to drag him out of the vehicle. He was TOTALLY caught offguard, and the only thing he had time to do was punch the accellerator, dragging the guy down the road- while throwning punches trying to dislodge him from the door. He succeeded, and the carjacker fell out and rolled on the pavement- then got up and ran into the dark. He was a lucky guy. What if the guy had been armed? What if he actually WAS?

Needless to say- that opened a few eyes where he worked, along with his own.....

Bama2LA

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Good Post!

I'm typically very aware of everything around me and my girlfriend is always surprised how aware I am. I'm trying to get her to be more aware, I do drills now with her while we are walking anywhere.

An example from me is about 3 months ago I was near LSU campus going to a bar (which means I was unarmed). I just got of my truck and started walking up through the parking lot were a guy walks up lifting a bandanna over his face. The first thought to go through my head was "SH*T!! I don't have my gun on me!" the second was "he's about 150lbs, and skrawny I can probably knock him out". Guy walks up and shows a gun to his side and says "Wallet and phone". So I reach back and pull my wallet and he starts to grab at it. I pull back and tell him in a stern voice "Nah cuz, you can have the money but you can't take the wallet, nor can you have my phone". He looks puzzled at me and I can tell his gears were turning. He still to this point has not pointed the gun at me so my triggers where still telling me I wasn't in a threatening situation.

Well the guy then starts asking me for my wallet again, and I tell him no and attempt to walk by him. He stops me and starts saying "Man i don't normally do this but my mom's sick and I need the money". I take this opportunity to play his heart strings telling him that if he had just asked me for some money I would have given him some (64 bucks on me). Well the guy starts to cry and actually gives me 20 bucks back when he finds out I didn't have any of my own money (debt card had about 500 on it and I had 2 credit cards).

This guy tells me his whole name, address and his mom's name. He eventually ran off after more people started walking up.

I finally found a cop and told him but I haven't heard anything yet. Honestly I'm just glad that I'm still around. I'm sure most people would call me stupid and others say "Oh I'd do this and I'd do that". But honestly until you're in that situation you never know what you're going to do. I'm just glad I have a million dollar mouth piece.

So it can happen to you.

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    I understand the desire to be aware of ones area and situation but I think some people take it a bit too far. Sure I maintain an awareness of what's going on around me but I don't have my head on a swivel and constantly scan the area. I relax and go about my day. Just because I carry a gun doesn't mean I'm going to stay on high alert. I relax and handle my business.

You do not need a head on a swivel or be constantly scanning. I tend to take a mental picture of a place when I walk in and even before I make it to the door. I notice things and while I am in there going about my business I marked the people in that picture and what they are doing. So while I am looking away I know that guy getting a coke is probable going to the register next. It is like a check list I make of the location, items, people and their next logical courses of action.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I try to be aware. Its hard to stay constantly vigilant.

One thing I nag my wife about is how long it takes her from the time she puts the car in park to the time she enters where she's going.... She spends way too long organizing inside the car, getting keys put away, checking for her cell phone, etc. I can't seem to get through about that. Any of your wives that way?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Good Post!

I'm typically very aware of everything around me and my girlfriend is always surprised how aware I am. I'm trying to get her to be more aware, I do drills now with her while we are walking anywhere.

An example from me is about 3 months ago I was near LSU campus going to a bar (which means I was unarmed). I just got of my truck and started walking up through the parking lot were a guy walks up lifting a bandanna over his face. The first thought to go through my head was "SH*T!! I don't have my gun on me!" the second was "he's about 150lbs, and skrawny I can probably knock him out". Guy walks up and shows a gun to his side and says "Wallet and phone". So I reach back and pull my wallet and he starts to grab at it. I pull back and tell him in a stern voice "Nah cuz, you can have the money but you can't take the wallet, nor can you have my phone". He looks puzzled at me and I can tell his gears were turning. He still to this point has not pointed the gun at me so my triggers where still telling me I wasn't in a threatening situation.

Well the guy then starts asking me for my wallet again, and I tell him no and attempt to walk by him. He stops me and starts saying "Man i don't normally do this but my mom's sick and I need the money". I take this opportunity to play his heart strings telling him that if he had just asked me for some money I would have given him some (64 bucks on me). Well the guy starts to cry and actually gives me 20 bucks back when he finds out I didn't have any of my own money (debt card had about 500 on it and I had 2 credit cards).

This guy tells me his whole name, address and his mom's name. He eventually ran off after more people started walking up.

I finally found a cop and told him but I haven't heard anything yet. Honestly I'm just glad that I'm still around. I'm sure most people would call me stupid and others say "Oh I'd do this and I'd do that". But honestly until you're in that situation you never know what you're going to do. I'm just glad I have a million dollar mouth piece.

So it can happen to you.

Whether he was telling the truth or not, he's an IDIOT. :rofl:
    I guess he never gave it much thought as to how exactly he could help his sick mother if he got his ass whacked while brandishing a weapon.:rolleyes:
    Glad you came out okay, though....

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Good Post!

So it can happen to you.

Bra, you got LUCKY. I carry a throw-down wad of cash usually its about $25 with a $20 on the outside that way if I get mugged I can just hand over the shot stack so to speak. I am confident in my abilities but I know I can't out draw a gun or knife thats already pulled and inside my personal space.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Most people are never aware of anything that goes on around them, I believe that is one of the reasson why if you check on statistics Conceal Carry Permit Holders tend to be more safe than the average joe, just due to the fact of pre planning. I read a great book that I highly recomend "The Combative Perpective" (the thinking man's guide to self-defese) by Gabe Suarez he talkes a lot about what should be involved in the thinking and planning process once somebody decides to take the responsability to carry a weapon, not only weapons training but also the right mind set and legal issues that we should be taking into consideration ahead of time. I know lots of LEO's talk crap about Gabe Suarez and his believes but IMO he is a great instructor and could always teach a thing or two to those who know it all, any great instructor should always be a student with an open mind only then he will become one IMO.

On the other hand I tend to be OVER protective and aware of where I am at, most people never pay attention to what side should they park at Wallmart for example I always park on the left side, or why my son is always walking next to me on my left side and NOT on my right side. At the same time how many of us get out of the store with a million and a half bags on our hands thats a big NO NO for me. How many of us actually pay attention when going to a restaurant where and how to sit, and where te exits and entrance is at??????????? How many of us ride around town with the windows open and doors unlocked????????? How many of us have actually ever trained on how to shoot from inside the vehicle?????? How many of us have done force on force training and are aware on how to walk into an aggressor who is lets say 4 feet away from you instead of making distance like most people believe??????????

Simple things like this are very important to take into consideration IMO to being able to stay alive on a real gun fight, lots of us train to hit bullseye at 25 yrds at a stationary range over and over and over, but most confrontations happen at less than 7 yards and both the target and yourself will be on the move so what then?????????

You'all be safe !!!!!!!!!!

KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Living in NOLA and DC before I started carrying, I developed a decent practice of being aware. I do what I can to notice people, cars, shadows and light. Now that I do carry, I'm still just as aware. I still want to avoid situations but its good to know that I may be prepared to deal with it.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Of course it's true that a threat to your well being can happen anywhere, but it's still not a bad idea to avoid the "hotspots" of your home area whenever possible....That's a no-brainer.

Yeah, I know. But I figured I'd say it anyway.:thumbsup:

img.cgi

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom