You've been loading your AR all wrong...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    That article is full of derp, but serious question: Why would any leo every need or be authorized to use night vision equipment in the course of their duties?

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    That article is full of derp, but serious question: Why would any leo every need or be authorized to use night vision equipment in the course of their duties?

Because crime doesn't always occur during the day or in well lit areas.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Because crime doesn't always occur during the day or in well lit areas.

That is why we have flashlights, spotlights, searchlights, flood lights, weapon lights, every kind of light. I don't see a need for peace officers to operate clandestinely in the dark. It is their job to bring the light to any situation, both literally and metaphorically. I feel like that kind of equipment will only lead to bad practices. To my mind, night vision = clandestine/black ops, and that is something that only belongs in a war zone.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    That is why we have flashlights, spotlights, searchlights, flood lights, weapon lights, every kind of light. I don't see a need for peace officers to operate clandestinely in the dark. It is their job to bring the light to any situation, both literally and metaphorically. I feel like that kind of equipment will only lead to bad practices. To my mind, night vision = clandestine/black ops, and that is something that only belongs in a war zone.

Why do hunters need night vision?

Apparently you think "clandestine" or what we call "covert" surveillance is not necessary in modern law enforcement? Maybe we should send out press releases and Facebook and Twitter alerts whenever we plan to conduct surveillance? I'm sure that would be successful. The bad guys would probably just turn themselves and all their contraband over to us, because that's just the type of stand up people they are. :doh:

Of all the things to say cops don't need you pick NODs?!? But select fire carbines and semi auto M107s are ok?

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Why do hunters need night vision?

Apparently you think "clandestine" or what we call "covert" surveillance is not necessary in modern law enforcement? Maybe we should send out press releases and Facebook and Twitter alerts whenever we plan to conduct surveillance? I'm sure that would be successful. The bad guys would probably just turn themselves and all their contraband over to us, because that's just the type of stand up people they are.

Of all the things to say cops don't need you pick NODs?!? But select fire carbines and semi auto M107s are ok?

My main point was that I believe equipment like that could lead to bad practices. I will admit, surveillance uses didn't cross my mind until you mentioned it. In that sense, I could see a good justification for camera mounted night optics, but I am assuming the ones they are getting from this military hand-me-down program are not camera or spotting optics, rather helmet or weapon mountable NOD's. Could they be useful as cheap hand held devices? Definitely, yes. Are these tactically mountable NOD's likely to be used in inappropriate ways by an overly zealous police force? Most probably, yes.

I don't want you to think I am a 'basher. I aspire to become a policeman largely because I firmly believe there are some lines that must not be crossed by those sworn to protect and serve. There are some instances where I am not willing to accept a little security at the cost of a lot of freedom and I am prepared to stand behind these beliefs in every way.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge

Ever tried to find something in the woods with just a flashlight? Sure all those other things you mentioned in another post are excelent for open areas, but you get someone who bails out of their vehicle in a wooded area (like that boarders sooooo many of our roads these days) and you gotta jump into the woods and chase after them, N/V is a god send.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    The caption has been changed:

A plastic replica of a bullet is used to quickly remove a ammunition magazine from an assault rifle in a demonstration at the California Department of Justice in Sacramento, Calif. East Baton Rouge reportedly received 558 assault rifles from a federal Defense Department program since 2006, hundreds more than any other parish, according to data from the New York times. Livingston Parish received three helicopters and Orleans parish received 286 night vision pieces. (Rich Pedroncelli, The Associated Press)

Then at the bottom of the article:

Editor's note: An original version of the photo caption above this story incorrectly identified the plastic bullet replica as ammunition.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Ok. I was being too narrow minded. I can admit when I'm an idiot. (happens more that it should). My thoughts were fixated on NOPD inner city police getting the equipment in the article, and then I made a blanket statement that covered a lot more than that. You both make valid points. This is why I enjoy getting in discussions here. Forces me to expand my views. I still don't like the idea of what inner city metro will likely use them for, though.

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    They most likely got old 7b's or 7d's (covers both eyes) as any grunt will tell you only the best or highest ranking get to use pvs14's (monocular) they probably should get training on the new equipment as Mraps tend to roll over and are crap vehicles for areas with small streets and it takes awhile to get used to nightvision you know with depth perception and parallax issues but clearly I need to carry a snap cap for reloading drills ...smh makes me want to offer my free time to help get these guys up to speed I also work for donuts and or coffee btw

Top Bottom