Are you vocal about owning firearms?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I saw an article on WWL tonight about residents arming themselves due to an increase in crime, even profiling two or three people in their homes with their firearms.

Am I the only one who thinks this is completely idiotic? This opens those people up to being robbed even more now that people have seen what they're armed with as well as a glimpse of what they have in their homes.

Just me $0.02. I'm curious to know what others think as well.

Article just in case you're interested - http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/local/orleans/2015/01/13/new-orleanians-fighting-fear-during-uptick-in-violence/21717761/

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Thats not near as bad as the dumb shits putting signs in their yards "Home protected by Smith n Wesson" or "Violators will be shot, Survivors will be shot again". I put them in the same catagory with Open Carriers.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I always feel as if any sort of indication you have firearms (window decals, yard signs, even t-shirts) is a bad idea. I have even heard people say that wearing "tactical" pants is dumb although I do have a few only because I found them real cheap and find them very useful and comfortable. I don't even like to really talk about my guns to anybody except those closest to me. A couple of times my wife has mentioned them to company and I immediately change the subject unless they are close and have very strong feelings about self defense themselves. I feel nervous when I load up my car to go to the range which is why I have gone to the rectangle rifle cases instead of the traditional rifle shaped ones. I would never want to be on television showing the world what I have. That is just asking for trouble.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    This time of the year I may or may not wear a bit of camo, To some this indicates that I kill animals and eat them.
    Therefore it also indicates I may own a shotgun and I drive a 4x4 truck which another red light that I may or may not be a wild and crazy guy.
    However, I really don't care what people think, Someday the rest of the people will catch up with me.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I don't flaunt it, but don't hide it either. Can't think of a single good reason I shouldn't wear a gun company shirt or throw a sticker on my car if floats my boat. I love guns. It's kinda my thing. Not gonna not wear a gun shirt because I'm skurred of getting robbed or having some hippie throw granola at me.

Back to the original question, lots of news stories show lots of people in their homes. You could say the same thing about them. The question is does showing that they own guns really make the more of a target, or less of a target? I think the latter, or that it doesn't make a difference at all. I'd say most burglaries and similar crimes are crimes of opportunity and/or desperation. I just don't think thugs are sitting around watching the news to plan their next robbery. And I can't imagine them saying "hey they are armed, breaking in their house sounds like a great idea!". But then again it seems like more gun stores are getting robbed lately (which NEVER works out), so they may be dumber than I can even imagine.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I prefer to leave the advertising to the gun companies. I do not have any social media accounts like Facebook. There is nowhere on the net that I am identified as a gun owner under my actual name. There are no pictures of me on the net even holding a firearm. Enjoying firearms with my family and friends is enough. Gun owners should enjoy privacy.
    I only wear gun shirts to the shooting range.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Thats not near as bad as the dumb shits putting signs in their yards "Home protected by Smith n Wesson" or "Violators will be shot, Survivors will be shot again". I put them in the same catagory with Open Carriers.

I think those signs could probably be bad if you do shoot somebody. WAFB would have your yard on the news saying look he wanted to shoot somebody

Craig8sm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    I don't necessarily agree with this case, but IMO responsible gun owners need to be more vocal about guns and responsible gun ownership. For far too long the anti-gun left has controlled the discussion to the point that people fear the guns themselves and not the people wielding them. The left is all too happy to lump all gun owners together into one category with the irresponsible gun owner as the cover photo. We responsible gun owners are at fault for letting this happen by not setting ourselves apart by showing examples of responsible gun ownership and handling vs. unsafe and irresponsible behavior. The great majority of parents no longer teach their children about guns and their proper place in the world, they leave it up to the kids to learn that from TV or society. Well TV/movies are a bad place to look for responsible gun ownership practices, and society is teaching that guns kill people. Example, Louisiana is an open carry state, however IMO, it is usually going to create more problems for you than you care to deal with by carrying open in public these days. Just the other day a frantic call came into BRPD about a man with a gun in a parking lot in downtown. As it turned out (as I understand it) the man had a toy he was putting in his trunk because he didn’t want someone to see it in his care and get the wrong idea. My point is people have been conditioned to see guns as bad, and automatically assume the worst. That has to change or the right to own guns is doomed.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I always feel as if any sort of indication you have firearms (window decals, yard signs, even t-shirts) is a bad idea. I have even heard people say that wearing "tactical" pants is dumb although I do have a few only because I found them real cheap and find them very useful and comfortable. I don't even like to really talk about my guns to anybody except those closest to me. A couple of times my wife has mentioned them to company and I immediately change the subject unless they are close and have very strong feelings about self defense themselves. I feel nervous when I load up my car to go to the range which is why I have gone to the rectangle rifle cases instead of the traditional rifle shaped ones. I would never want to be on television showing the world what I have. That is just asking for trouble.

Damn man! You are paranoid!

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    So everyone invests in the firearms, but no one invests in a means to keep them secure? That's why we have Safe's people. You want more security? Actually bolt them to the floor!

Here's another, SPEAK to your neighbors so one day when there's a moving van parked in your driveway... they will ask questions (actually happened to a buddy).

Or maybe invest in a... ALARM system? And maybe have it MONITORED? Spend the extra couple of bucks and get the cellular option also.

If you take on the responsibility of owning the weapons, then take the responsibility of securing them properly. No, you don't have to walk around town boasting about how many weapons you have... but you also don't need to be so paranoid about it that it makes you stand out. That will make people more inquisitive and curious.

I hold no reservations about walking to my vehicle with my rifle in my hand (specific one not even in a case) or pulling my carry firearm to place it in my holster under my steering column. My neighbors know I have weapons... not how many... not the details... but they know. In turn, they also know mine is the house no one wants to mess with... and where they will run to if something goes down.

I know plenty of you have gotten "Well we know where to go if anything happens around here! I'm coming over to your house!" I always here that "If there's another Katrina... I'm coming over!". However, neither myself NOR my weapons will be home if that happens again! Or will I???? If you're willing to take that chance.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I encourage everyone I speak to, to embrace a CC permit. I vociferously advocate personal protection via some type of firearm. I couldn't care less what others (neighbors, co-workers, friends, or Martians), think about my obsession with firearms, shooting sports, hunting, killing and eating animals, etc. DO NOT CARE WHAT OTHERS THINK! And I will not truly befriend anyone that speaks out against the 2nd Amendment or advocates stricter gun controls. And if you verbally attack my gun ownership personally; you are just f'n stupid! You WILL lose the argument!

I will respect their Rights, their homes, their opinions; but like Gator; I, am the important one in the discussion about guns! Unless you are brethren or speak the language yourself. I am very outspoken about my affiliation with the NRA, and raising money to promote even more shooters to come into the "Love!" All done safely!

My two kids will want to fight over my collection on my death bed; and that is okay! Except I will have already decided what they each get. :p

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I prefer to leave the advertising to the gun companies. I do not have any social media accounts like Facebook. There is nowhere on the net that I am identified as a gun owner under my actual name. There are no pictures of me on the net even holding a firearm. Enjoying firearms with my family and friends is enough. Gun owners should enjoy privacy.
    I only wear gun shirts to the shooting range.

I like your style.
    I try to limit what information I have out on the internet too. It's sad that I have to do that though. I am mainly trying to protect my children. God forbid a picture of them holding a firearm was to be found by their school or for the school to find out what I own or don't own. Right or wrong, it's a fight I don't have the time or money to invest in.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm in the middle of the road I guess. I'm less "molon labe" than some I know and more "pro 2a" than many of my friends or colleagues. I don't advertise what I have to anyone- hell I've kept 99% of my gun collection absent from bayoushooter for years. When I make trades I'm not one that brags about everything in my safe at home. It's not so much about being a secret squirrel as it is just not being their business.

Regarding general public/idiots on the street/etc: I prefer them to not know I have a weapon until they feel it. I'm not interested in fair fights.

Regarding family/friend/someone worthy to hear it - I'm armed. Furthermore, you've never seen me unarmed. I'm certain of this because we've never taken a shower together.

Last edited:

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I'm in the middle of the road I guess. I'm less "molon labe" than some I know and more "pro 2a" than many of my friends or colleagues. I don't advertise what I have to anyone- hell I've kept 99% of my gun collection absent from bayoushooter for years. When I make trades I'm not one that brags about everything in my safe at home. It's not so much about being a secret squirrel as it is just not being their business.

Regarding general public/idiots on the street/etc: I prefer them to not know I have a weapon until they feel it. I'm not interested in fair fights.

Regarding family/friend/someone worthy to hear it - I'm armed. Furthermore, you've never seen me unarmed. I'm certain of this because we've never taken a shower together.

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who keeps a Glock in my shower.

Top Bottom