WTB: SKS 30rd mags

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dredd

Punisher
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    184   0   0
    Jun 16, 2007
    Folsom, LA
    Looking for some mags for my sks. 30rd preferred. Hopefully someone local has some, or I'll just pick some up from the kenner gun show in a few weeks.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Have you used them, did you like them & did theywork?

I converted someones to mags & had to do a lot of hand fitting. There were 5 SKS in a group. 2 decided it was a PIA afterwards, 3 decided not to even pursue it. I only did the 1. Left mine alone. The handfitting involve filing, hammering, smashing in a vise. I'm not sure if the 2 rifles were interchangeable with each others mags. I didn't do anything to the rifles just the mags. Basically I think it was shitty quality on the mags.

I find the 'duckbill" annoying. 30 rounds in the mag is hard to argue with though.

Just my experience, which has been echoed on the net. Also look for how it affects the compliance - 922R or whatever the number is.

Later,
    RDO

Dredd

Punisher
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    184   0   0
    Jun 16, 2007
    Folsom, LA
    I haven't used any yet. I was just looking for an upgrade from the factory 10rd. I'll do some more research on it.

Dredd

Punisher
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    184   0   0
    Jun 16, 2007
    Folsom, LA
    Well I did some research and find that most 30rd detachable mags are junk. I might pick up one 30rd to experiment with, but I'm gonna look for a fixed "red star" 20rd. They seem to work well from what I'm read.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I can track down a 30rd if you want to try it.

The stripper clips take a little getting used to & can be hard on your hands. All in all not a bad setup.

Also maybe we can each buy a 20rd & split the shipping if you want. I'm on the westbank also.

There are some SKS that take AK mags but the last one I saw the guy wanted $450 a few years back. I like thd SKS more than the AK in some areas.

I got an ATI folding stock & don't really like it for ultimate accuracy, the folding feature is great for portability. Not entirely sure about the law on that one though. The whole compliance thing is a can of worms.

I plan on getting the techsights fot the SKS also.
    http://www.tech-sights.com/

Later I might mess with the trigger.

The info I have gotten on the sights & mags off the net was from people that know there stuff not just repeating rumors.

I was going to look for the mags & got distracted by her:
    http://www.redstararms.com/index.htm?catalog.htm&1

http://www.redstararms.com/missrsa.wmv

Later,
    RDO

slickcdb2000

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2007
    Winnsboro
    I have the 30rnd for my sks and it looks great... that that is all it does good. it rattles horribly, and will only feed 1 rnd at a time. if I was gonna shoot it a lot i would definitely keep the factory 10rnd or try and find the 20rnd. but as you said the 20rnd aint cheap. anyways looks good but about as useful as **** on a bull

Last edited:

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I also heard that the 20 round fixed box tends to have problems with the spring and breaks sooner than the 10 rounder. Years ago, when I was a stupid college kid in 1993, I put all kinds of crap on my SKS, only to take it all off.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    There are those out there that say using stripper clips on an SKS is actually faster than changing the mag on an AK. Personally, I change mags on my AK faster, but I have seen practiced people use stripper clips on an SKS and they were pretty damn quick.

Just get you about 20-30 stripper clips (they are dirt cheap on ebay) and then get an SKS bandolier like this one at CTD that holds 200 rounds.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SKS029-63787-616.html

Store it with the rifle and be happy :)

Also, there is a great forum for SKS rifles:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

Just stay out of the Survival sections. There are REAL tinfoil hat types there that make me look like a liberal sheep on prozac. Baaaaaahaaahh!

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I got my SKS when Rodney King did his thing. I received the rifle & the "Chinese Bra". Later I got the folding stock. All was bought & given to me for free. I did clean the Cosmoline off of all of them though.
    The price of the Red Star Mag puts it into low priority. The bad reviews don't help. They don't seem to be readily available either.
    Trying to make the SKS more than what it is is probably a mistake anyway.
    Later,
    RDO

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Just to reiterate what everyone else has said, the mags are junk. I bought two SKS's when I bought mine, one original and one "pimped out" with ATI stock and 20 round mags. After taking both to the range, I sold the one with mags the next day because it pissed me off. SKS's are not the most reliable rifles in the world, and they get even worse when you start sticking poorly made parts on them.

The SKS is a cheap, really fun rifle in its original form. If you want something with 30 rounds, buy an AK or AR. :D

Dredd

Punisher
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    184   0   0
    Jun 16, 2007
    Folsom, LA
    I just sold my DPMS AR, but I do still have a Ruger Mini-30 with a bunch of high cap mags. I think I'll just stock up on some stripper clips since I'm not having any issues with the SKS in it's current configuration. :)

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Also look for how it affects the compliance - 922R or whatever the number is.

Wise words. Merely changing the magazine on a C&R firearm like the SKS violates Title 18 USC § 922(r), meaning you'd now possess an illegally modified gun. 922(r), like almost ALL gun laws, is stupid and makes no sense. However, like all laws, it's the law, and you can get busted, bigtime, for breaking it. It is also complex, and you need to make sure you're following its many idiosyncracies should you decide to modify your SKS.

Take a look here for a ton of information on the subject: http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?board=12.0

Forrest

REO
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Wise words. Merely changing the magazine on a C&R firearm like the SKS violates Title 18 USC § 922(r), meaning you'd now possess an illegally modified gun. 922(r), like almost ALL gun laws, is stupid and makes no sense. However, like all laws, it's the law, and you can get busted, bigtime, for breaking it. It is also complex, and you need to make sure you're following its many idiosyncracies should you decide to modify your SKS.

Take a look here for a ton of information on the subject: http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?board=12.0

If by merely you mean only, that's true. However, if you go through all the parts counting nonsense, you can legally swap the mag out for a 30rd.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom