HB43

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • met7881

Former Yankee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    mandeville,La.
    Check out HB43 which has been pre-filed for 2017 session. It bans possession of ammo within 1000 ft of school property. Even though CCW holders are exempt, I don't believe the 1000 ft exemption would exempt ammo that's in the loaded firearm of CCW holders. In fact in the exceptions area CCW holders are not even mentioned.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Sigh.

With all of the pressing issues our great state has, Rep. Horton is spending his time on this?

Even if this bill had any social utility (it does not), such minutiae is akin to splinting the nose of a car crash victim who is bleeding out. Our politicians need to triage our issues because right now our state needs tourniquets and fluids!

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    What if you live within 1000ft of a school? Can you not keep ammo in your home? This bill doesn't sit right on some levels.....

Did you read the bill?
    It doesn't apply to the situation you brought up.

http://www.legis.la.gov/legis/BillInfo.aspx?s=17rs&b=HB43&sbi=y

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:

(4) The possession of an imitation firearm, projectile, or ammunition
    25 occurring within one thousand feet of school property and entirely on private
    26 property, entirely within a private residence, or entirely within a motor vehicle.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    If this becomes law, then this:
    cheap-bb-dirty.jpg

Could result in $250 fine and up to 6 months in the joint.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    HB 43 - 2017
    Prohibits the possession of imitation firearms, projectiles, or ammunition on or within a certain distance of school property or at school-sponsored functions.

Sponsored by Dodie Horton (R)

These people are freakin mor*ns! For real!

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    HB 43 - 2017
    Prohibits the possession of imitation firearms, projectiles, or ammunition on or within a certain distance of school property or at school-sponsored functions.
    Sponsored by Dodie Horton (R)
    These people are freakin mor*ns! For real!

The way that initial statement reads is like this - Prohibits the possession of imitation firearms, imitation projectiles, or imitation ammunition....

It's poorly written, to say the least.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I sent Rep. Horton a email the other day asking about her bill and asking about me as a CHP holder. I guess she's so up on La. gun stuff that she has a CCP. You would think a La. State Legislator would know it's a CHP and not a damn CCP. Well below is her reply to my email.

Thank you so much for contacting me! I too have a CCP and am a member of the NRA and will always support our 2nd Amendment Rights. My bill is only to protect our students, who are painting toy handguns to mirror real ones, the ability to bring them to school. I too am concerned about the " Ammo" language in the bill and its possible impact so I have contacted our States NRA Rep and requested that she read the bill and advise me accordingly. I will either amend the bill in committee or start over. In Bossier Parish we have a Deputy at every school so our Sheriff requested that I author this bill in order to prevent a tragedy like we observed in a neighboring state from happening.

Thank you again for your inquiry and know that as I only seek to protect our kids from this type of behavioral choices, I am equally committed to making sure that my bill cannot be used for any type of gun control measures.

God Bless

Dodie Horton

District 9

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    How 'bout yer just drivin' by?
    Or picking someone up?
    Stopping at a store near a school?
    Stupid people write stupid bills.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Ok I emailed her back to ask about how the law would effect me with a CHP. I told her now as a CHP holder if I had a flat in front of the school (not on school property) it would be legal to get our of my truck and fix it and under her law when I stepped out I would be breaking her law.
    Also do any of you know of any LEO's killing students in La?

This is what I got back today

Thank you Sir for contacting me concerning HB 43. I too have a CHP and am always packing. This bill does not change our current laws in any way for CHP holders / this bill addresses students. Now in saying this, I have asked our states NRA representatives to examine the bill and if we need to amend it in committee then we will. My sole purpose of authoring this legislation is to prevent one of our officers from being in a position to have to shoot a student because this type of law was not in place. There have been several cases in LA alone where a student has been shot and killed because they pulled a modified toy gun on the school Deputy.

Forgive my long reply but it is important to me for you all to know that we are not on opposite sides.

God Bless,

Dodie Horton

District 9

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I can understand banning fake or imitation firearms, stop students from bringing a toy pistol to school. But the language about "imitation ammunition and projectiles" doesn't belong there, plain and simple.

A child's marbles could be "imitation projectiles or ammunition", for a slingshot or a homemade bomb. Many times these politicians just don't know when to stop, or use common sense. I'm all for banning toy or imitation guns from schools, but the rest of HB43 should be tossed ASAP.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My sole purpose of authoring this legislation is to prevent one of our officers from being in a position to have to shoot a student because this type of law was not in place. There have been several cases in LA alone where a student has been shot and killed because they pulled a modified toy gun on the school Deputy.

I just googlified a few different search terms and I got nothing related to cop killing student with a fake gun in LA.... The last fake gun shooting I remember was cops killing a mentally handicapped guy with a toy gun in downtown BR several, several years ago. I don't recall ANY students being shot on an LA campus because of a fake gun.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm going to make a firearm that fires pencils and pens. Let's play ban the ammunition now.

Hey, it worked on AP ammo in pistol ARs didn't it?

Top Bottom