Tax Season is Over!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I've worked as a tax return preparer for a major chain for the past seven years, but I have never been as relieved to see the season end as I am today! I've worked with a lot of really good people who have really suffered from the August flood, and it was satisfying when I could help them at least get some relief in their tax return. But every season also has it's share of clients we talk --and often laugh -- about afterward, but this one seemed to include a noticeable increase in real a-hole clients: clueless parents who bring spoiled kids in and let them run wild, entitled jerks who think they should be able to walk in at any time and get served before those already waiting (make an appointment or take a number!), clowns who bring in a shopping bag full of receipts and expect us to sort that crap out, would-be crooks who want us to file an (obviously) fraudulent return so they can collect the max child tax or earned income tax credit, sad-sacks who waited until the last day or two to come in and are outraged when their return can’t be filed on-time because they’re missing some required document, etc, etc, etc(!). Through it all I kept my cool, even though I often wanted to tell the client to **** off and to feel free to go to any of our competitors -- but I think I'm done with it. I'm retired, just doing that as a diversion for a few months, but when the diversion becomes the problem it's time to move on!

Last edited:

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    If you still want to stay active during the year, there are a lot of small, home-base businesses that could use your help. Charge a monthly fee and do the book keeping.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    My cousin was a CPA for one of the oldest firms in BR for years. During tax season you didn't want to even talk to him. He wasn't that old when he died from heart trouble.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    On the other side, I went to a major chain to have my taxes done this year. I found three glaring mistakes after the taxes were done and paid. Simple stuff, like not including a 1099-INT. Then three weeks later I received a letter in the mail from the IRS. They found another mistake. It has been two months and I still can't get a regional manager to return my call. I will go to jail for not doing my taxes before I let H&R Block do my taxes.

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Next year you could be the Bayou Shooter Tax Service...for a small fee of course. Probably cut down on the amount of people wanting you to deceive the IRS or at least asking you to deceive the IRS. LoL

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    H&R Block in Laplace charged a friend of mine $234 for a 1040EZ return. I asked her what sort of handgun did they brandish during the holdup?

Now I know why I have done my own taxes for 25 + years, other than a couple years which were complex and I resorted to a co-worker who was a CPA/did income taxes on side job.

I cannot imagine dealing with the public today, doing their taxes, other than friends and family. Entitled, unorganized, lying and deceiving, procrastinating, and little patience. No thanks.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    H&R Block in Laplace charged a friend of mine $234 for a 1040EZ return. I asked her what sort of handgun did they brandish during the holdup?

Now I know why I have done my own taxes for 25 + years, other than a couple years which were complex and I resorted to a co-worker who was a CPA/did income taxes on side job.

I cannot imagine dealing with the public today, doing their taxes, other than friends and family. Entitled, unorganized, lying and deceiving, procrastinating, and little patience. No thanks.

I do my own taxes also and I agree with you on dealing with the public doing their taxes John! I even hate doing my own! :(

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I've always did mine too. Next year I anticipate having a CPA do them due to a new job that is going to involve traveling (housing stipends, per diems, new work clothes, unforeseen itemized things I wouldn't catch, investments, etc.)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    People are dumb. The end.

I always use TurboTax and have never had any problems with it.

Top Bottom