keep the sale price in the ad once it is sold

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Here's a thought. When you sell something and mark it as sold, update the price it sold for, or at least leave the asking price in the ad, so others may use the price as a reference. Since the old ads aren't ever deleted, might as well put them to some use as a reference.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    As far as that yes it would be nice. I would no do it and do not see many that would. Since if sold cheap, everyone would say oh the next thing he sells I am beating him/her down on he is willing to give it away. They need $ bad
    You know good and well if listed at $800.00 and you sell it at $600.00 or less! At that point everything ya listed from then on they would want 20% off.
    This is just my opinion. Looking at advertisements here. Items listed at a fair sale price from the start sell quickly. Lots of things here and elsewhere are listed at or above cost of new and higher. Same at every type board Cars etc.

As far as knowing what stuff goes for Gunbroker is the best bet as it is a true what someone is willing to pay

The best thing a member can do with the add when sold is Mark it SOLD! or NLFS. In the prefix not bump it to the top, to say sold.

Since we are talking ads and how yo make it better.
    Put the location, you are in the signature line, or the advertisement

Put a Picture at the time it is listed.
    If it is a WTT out what ya want in Trade
    If it is a Sale put price not make offer.
    Put the advertisement where it should go
    All just common courtesy to other members and the rules
    https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums...Marketplace-Rules-*READ-BEFORE-PARTICIPATING*

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    As far as that yes it would be nice. I would no do it and do not see many that would. Since if sold cheap, everyone would say oh the next thing he sells I am beating him/her down on he is willing to give it away. They need $ bad
    You know good and well if listed at $800.00 and you sell it at $600.00 or less! At that point everything ya listed from then on they would want 20% off.
    This is just my opinion. Looking at advertisements here. Items listed at a fair sale price from the start sell quickly. Lots of things here and elsewhere are listed at or above cost of new and higher. Same at every type board Cars etc.[/url]

Ok, well, then that goes along with the second part of my sentence, "at least leave the asking price in the ad". If you don't want all of your crack negotiating tactics to be revealed, just leave the asking price. Many "sold" ads will leave the description and remove the price. That just doesn't make sense.

And Gunbroker is certainly a decent reference, but something local means more. This board would be another data point to look things up, and we have the benefit of knowing it's fairly local and from people we may already know.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Ok, well, then that goes along with the second part of my sentence, "at least leave the asking price in the ad". If you don't want all of your crack negotiating tactics to be revealed, just leave the asking price. Many "sold" ads will leave the description and remove the price. That just doesn't make sense.

And Gunbroker is certainly a decent reference, but something local means more. This board would be another data point to look things up, and we have the benefit of knowing it's fairly local and from people we may already know.

Overall I like to see an ad left up and intact. Some strip all the text, maybe so they won't get 15 more calls about it.

While I like to see the price an item sold for as a reference, it is only so accurate of an indicator. Some items prices (& availability) rise and fall with more volatility than others. I prefer Gunbroker to get a larger sample size of current price. I have not found locality to be that much of a difference. More likely it would come down to a seller not knowing what the going price is or how long it took to move.

Bottomline is the seller has the option to edit the ad. Of course we don't really know what an item sold for vs listed price on here. A seller could leave the asking price for a couple of reasons. We still could see the price drops if left up though. I don't know how the mods could effectively handle micromanaging this aspect of the sale ads. My first step in pricing is usually what does it cost new or full retail if applicable.

Most everything I bought on here was either because it was an an obvious good deal or I totally trusted the seller.

Last edited:

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I would rather buy from here on BS then online. But when I see a gun listed for more used then new at Buds, Ect then I would go with Buds or one of the other online sellers.
    Wingate

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Most everything I bought on here was either because it was an an obvious good deal or I totally trusted the seller.
    Same here No one is buying a used Glock {or other} with some cheapo holster at more than retail so they do not have to Sign An FFL
    Good deals sell. Ones that are not sit.
    Even some good deals sit, now that the market is saturated with new at great prices.
    So new is less than what some sellers want for used.

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Same here No one is buying a used Glock {or other} with some cheapo holster at more than retail so they do not have to Sign An FFL
    Good deals sell. Ones that are not sit.
    Even some good deals sit, now that the market is saturated with new at great prices.
    So new is less than what some sellers want for used.

Right, and I'm not talking about mainstream stuff, for the most part. I'm really talking about one-off, interesting stuff that someone may have sold on here at one point. I found an ad on here for a 90's rifle that I'm trying to research and it was a perfect match. But the seller pulled the price off it. Just frustrating.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Your rifle is worth about $300 if in like new shape from what i have seen in past sales maybe 350 with box if new ask $400 obo
    Looks like Savage used Simmons for a time and Bushnell's after that.
    Yoy can get brand new in box entry level cheap scope rifle s for the same
    They do that or edit the whole info out so no one bothers them. Then it is done n over with
    As I said above lots edit it out. And then post delete. And bump it to the top with no info.
    Not really fair to others that have ads.
    Then both post have to be taken down Hard Deleted so it takes the post down not the just content.
    Very frustrating for Members as it is at the top. As well as moderators who have to do mutable deletes
    Only reason i listed above, what the main problems with the ads are above. Was to show what the main things are that mess the classifieds up are.
    Not to be hard nose.

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Your rifle is worth about $300 if in like new shape from what i have seen in past sales maybe 350 with box if new ask $400 obo
    Looks like Savage used Simmons for a time and Bushnell's after that.
    Yoy can get brand new in box entry level cheap scope rifle s for the same
    They do that or edit the whole info out so no one bothers them. Then it is done n over with
    As I said above lots edit it out. And then post delete. And bump it to the top with no info.
    Not really fair to others that have ads.
    Then both post have to be taken down Hard Deleted so it takes the post down not the just content.
    Very frustrating for Members as it is at the top. As well as moderators who have to do mutable deletes
    Only reason i listed above, what the main problems with the ads are above. Was to show what the main things are that mess the classifieds up are.
    Not to be hard nose.

Yep and I saw that on my other post, so I definitely appreciate the info.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Right, and I'm not talking about mainstream stuff, for the most part. I'm really talking about one-off, interesting stuff that someone may have sold on here at one point. I found an ad on here for a 90's rifle that I'm trying to research and it was a perfect match. But the seller pulled the price off it. Just frustrating.

It happens a lot on other forums too. I feel your pain.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, what's more frustrating is the amount of low-ball "something for nothing" offers, regardless of accessories, "includes" or anything else. For example, I could have a Glock 19 with Trigger, Tungsten guide rod, safety plunger, barrel, etc... and get the "A Glock 19 sells for... $$$, I will give you $$$". I remove EVERY sale ad I list... No one puts what the firearm sold for... they put what they want to get for it... If you want accuracy, use gunbroker... not the forums here. Look for items that are actually being bid on... if you look here, you could be looking at an ad from ten years ago... It's not going to be "going price" and would more than likely CAUSE more issues than it would assist with.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Well, what's more frustrating is the amount of low-ball "something for nothing" offers, regardless of accessories, "includes" or anything else. For example, I could have a Glock 19 with Trigger, Tungsten guide rod, safety plunger, barrel, etc... and get the "A Glock 19 sells for... $$$, I will give you $$$". I remove EVERY sale ad I list... No one puts what the firearm sold for... they put what they want to get for it... If you want accuracy, use gunbroker... not the forums here. Look for items that are actually being bid on... if you look here, you could be looking at an ad from ten years ago... It's not going to be "going price" and would more than likely CAUSE more issues than it would assist with.

I think what he was saying, and I know it's what I was saying, is looking up prices on things that aren't that popular or common. Everybody knows what a Glock goes for. Not everybody knows what a hardwood lower handguard for a Romy akm goes for.

Tanker

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Metairie, Louisana

+1 !! I really appreciate and like this forum, but IMO I've seen that many on here want to buy something for nothing. I'm not going to encourage that by leaving pricing or sale info.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I used to leave mine up with asking price but now I delete all ad info including the header and then close the thread. I decided I didn't want all the information of what guns I have sold/traded still in the public domain.
    Most people want to buy something for nothing or a screaming deal if they can do it. Some people think they are One Man Pawnshops and that you are selling your item because you are desperate for money to pay a bill or put groceries on the table.
    Seems to not matter what you list to specifically trade for because they are going to try to trade you their beat up Mossberg shotgun with no bluing on it. Then they want full retail for their stuff and below wholesale/scrap price for your stuff. That dog will never hunt for me on anything I have for sale.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

On the flip side, there are a number of items that are priced above what they should sell for. In general, as someone looking to buy used items, I tend to look at 80% as the cut off. If I'm going to spend more than 80% of the retail cost, I'll just buy the item new. But some people don't understand they are selling used items. LNIB = used. Safe kept = used. Low round count = used. In general, an item is used if the seller is not a retail store and the item has been opened. Then there are the people who place too much value on the extra add-ons. Unless someone else has the exact same tastes, it's a possibility a potential buyer views that awesome scope and mount as an unwanted $250 price increase for the parts he really wants, even if the scope and mount cost $450 new. To the potential buyer, the trigger, guide rod, etc., may be of no real value. He may be offering what he can afford to everyone who posts a G19 for sale. A number of sellers also refuse to break apart items to sell individually. They will only sell them bundled because they either see them as "belonging together" or they don't want to sell more than 1 item. Bundling items together devalues each individual item. Splitting them apart allows each item to be viewed by someone interested in that specific item. So some of the low-ball offers may be closer to fair market value that the seller wants. Or it may be a cheapskate looking for something for nothing.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    On the flip side, there are a number of items that are priced above what they should sell for. In general, as someone looking to buy used items, I tend to look at 80% as the cut off. If I'm going to spend more than 80% of the retail cost, I'll just buy the item new. But some people don't understand they are selling used items. LNIB = used. Safe kept = used. Low round count = used. In general, an item is used if the seller is not a retail store and the item has been opened. Then there are the people who place too much value on the extra add-ons. Unless someone else has the exact same tastes, it's a possibility a potential buyer views that awesome scope and mount as an unwanted $250 price increase for the parts he really wants, even if the scope and mount cost $450 new. To the potential buyer, the trigger, guide rod, etc., may be of no real value. He may be offering what he can afford to everyone who posts a G19 for sale. A number of sellers also refuse to break apart items to sell individually. They will only sell them bundled because they either see them as "belonging together" or they don't want to sell more than 1 item. Bundling items together devalues each individual item. Splitting them apart allows each item to be viewed by someone interested in that specific item. So some of the low-ball offers may be closer to fair market value that the seller wants. Or it may be a cheapskate looking for something for nothing.

^^^ this.
    I understand not wanting selling history so that the wrong people could find out. There are reasons why that information is better kept private, but another reason why I like prices kept up, especially for older sales, is that I like to see pricing trends.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Leaving the prices up only shows what the seller was asking at 1st. The buyer could have offered less in a PM and the seller could have accepted “the ad wouldn’t reflect that price drop”.

Now when comments were allowed in ads you could get a better idea of offers being made on items.

Top Bottom