.38spc range gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    recommend me a cheap .38spc range gun. 3-4 inch barrel.

a kind gent lent my girl his s&w .38spc at bass pro yesterday, she really enjoyed shooting it, liked the recoil characteristics over the autos i have.
    the only thing she did not like was the squareness of the grips.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Find yourself a K frame S&W, model 15 (38 spl. only) or a model 19 (38-357 magnum). these models have adjustable sights.
    There are also fixed sight versions (10 and 13)
    Many different after market grips available too.

Ruger SP 101 is also a viable choice.

While not the cheapest on the market, these do have a much better resale if you decide to sell it.

gcab985

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Raceland, LA
    Hi,
    This is only my personal opinion, so take it for what it is worth. I have both a Llama Martial from the 60s and also a S&W pre model 30 nickel model from the 50s. Both have excellent bores. The S&W has the squarish grips and the Llama has imitation pearl grips. Both of these revolvers evidently had Pachmayr grips on them at one time. I rank the S&W as the best, but the Llama (basically a S&W clone) is also good. If I were looking for a lower cost new revolver, I could look hard at Taurus revolvers. If I had more to spend, I would look at Rugers or S&W.

Incidently, I reload the 38 special rounds with lighter loads for plinking. Very good round for reloading.

GCAB985

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    For range use the Taurus 85 is a good choice . My son carries one while hunting .

Great for snakes and whatever has taken up residence in his blind while he was gone .

After watching two brand new Taurus revolvers have catastrophic failures in a handgun class, I will have to reaffirm that everyone should stay away from Taurus.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Taurus revolvers are a great choice if you like to buy revolvers that go down in price quickly.

Smith and Wesson are a good choice if you prefer the opposite.

Having owned both, the quality level is very much better on the Smith. I had 2 taurus revolvers that were well out of time, from the factory. I shimmed one, but was never really happy. The machining tolerances on the taurus are just sloppy. Even their top tier raging bull was not as well fitted as it should have been...

I would suggest a K frame of some sort, the 66 is a nice choice for 38spl and can be had with medium or heavy contour barrels, depending on how heavy you would like the gun to be. Any other K frame is a good choice, models 13, 15, 19 etc. As mentioned, you can get them with fixed or adjustable sights. And there are plenty of grip options available to suit. Both the K and L use the same grips.

A 686 or 686plus (L frame) would also be a good choice, can fire 357 or 38spl. These will be heavier than the K frame 66. Full underlug on the barrel, has the "Python" look. The regular is 6 shot, the plus is 7.

As an identification tip, any smith revo that stats with a 6 in the model is stainless. If it does not start with a 6 and is shinny then it is Nickle plated. Nickel is not bad as a firearm finish, but does require much more attention than stainless.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    If you shoot guns you're going to experience failures . I had a brand new Beretta 92FS have a minor kaboom in my hand . Sent it back to the factory and they never would tell me what they found . Just repaired it and sent it back . Ruger revolver that would hang up on double action pull . I have a S&W Mod 66 right now that spits lead and stings your face . Brand new Marlin 39A that locked up after the first 8 rounds . Back to the factory . It happens . I'm not doubting that there have been issues with Taurus revolvers but it's not epidemic .

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    After watching two brand new Taurus revolvers have catastrophic failures in a handgun class, I will have to reaffirm that everyone should stay away from Taurus.

Got a link of a documented case? Some actual proof? You must have pictures of these purported catastrophic failures that you personally witnessed?

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Two in the same class , you would think there would be an article in some gun magazines and even a hit on Google or Bing .

He handed them a rental G19 and we went about our way in the class.

One had cyclinder lock and the other had a broken firing pin. Going online to say a Taurus broke is like telling someone the sky is blue.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central

One had cyclinder lock and the other had a broken firing pin. Going online to say a Taurus broke is like telling someone the sky is blue.
    Oh hell , no wonder . You said " catastrophic failures " . I was envisioning something involving flying metal and blood . You and I have different ideas of what a " catastrophic failure " is .

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Oh hell , no wonder . You said " catastrophic failures " . I was envisioning something involving flying metal and blood . You and I have different ideas of what a " catastrophic failure " is .

Anything rendering a firearm unusable, that is requires repair or replacement, is a catastrophic failure.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    A friend of mine had ordered one of those new Volquartsen .17HMR Semi auto rifles a few years ago . You know , the ones that blow up when you shoot it ? Well it did . He came to work with some powder burns on his face and scratches on his hand and some cool pics on his phone . Now THAT'S catastrophic .

- - - Updated - - -

Anything rendering a firearm unusable, that is requires repair or replacement, is a catastrophic failure.
    I was waiting for that .

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Ask Barrett Kendrick. It was in his class.

So you got no proof but your flapping gums? Kinda figured as much.

"catastrophic failure" eh?

Pretty funny as I have never read or seen anywhere of a "catastrophic failure" of a Taurus handgun. Nothing on line or in forums, in 10 years plus. Sure some owners have had minor issues, send em back to Taurus and get em repaired.

Sounds like another Taurus hater with absolutely nada to back up his BS claims.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    A friend of mine had ordered one of those new Volquartsen .17HMR Semi auto rifles a few years ago . You know , the ones that blow up when you shoot it ? Well it did . He came to work with some powder burns on his face and scratches on his hand and some cool pics on his phone . Now THAT'S catastrophic .

Leadslinger doesn't have a clue what catastrophic is concerning a firearm. It might be "catastrophic" for him when he stubs his toe walking around in the dark in his house :)

cat·a·stroph·ic
    ˌkadəˈsträfik/Submit
    adjective
    involving or causing sudden great damage or suffering.
    "a catastrophic earthquake"

Top Bottom