.38spc range gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Never messed with the revolvers but RIA 1911s are impressive. My Rossi experience has been good too. Charter has a good reputation now and are on the inexpensive side. Not sure about the used market but they should both meet your price point.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Never messed with the revolvers but RIA 1911s are impressive. My Rossi experience has been good too. Charter has a good reputation now and are on the inexpensive side. Not sure about the used market but they should both meet your price point.

I'd pick up an older Rossi before I looked at RIA or Taurus. Be wary though, new Rossi firearms are made by Taurus.

With new and used S&W revolvers in the $3-400 range, I don't see a reason to look elsewhere unless you only want to spend $200.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    my girl may shoot the gun 2x a month, likely less than 50rds each time. i am still currently debating to get an old sw/ruger/colt for $350ish, or a taurus/rossi/ria for >$200

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I have a couple of Taurus 605 .357s that I just run .38s thru and have never had any issues. Also, a Dan Wesson .357 is a cheaper, smooth as butter, low recoil piece. Might be a little large for her hands, but they are a pleasure to shoot.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I have a couple of Taurus 605 .357s that I just run .38s thru and have never had any issues. Also, a Dan Wesson .357 is a cheaper, smooth as butter, low recoil piece. Might be a little large for her hands, but they are a pleasure to shoot.
    where have you seen dan wessons cheap?

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A big consideration I make when I buy *any* gun is resale value. I'm not a fan of buying anything that will plummet in value the second I own it (and it technically becomes "second hand"), and that would be the biggest argument I'd make against buying a new Taurus / Charter Arms / RIA.

Case-in-point: a used S&W Model 10, bought for $350, will sell for about that same amount, assuming that there's no big corrections in the market for these guns. A new $350 Taurus will probably sell for $200 used.

If you know you're going to keep your gun forever, then get what you want. Otherwise, sit low and look for the used bargains to pop up. A good .38 caliber revolver is not a rare thing; just about every gun show I go to has some Smith & Wesson hand ejectors that can be had for a few hundred dollars. As others have said, it's worth giving the gun a once-over to make sure the lockup is tight ... assuming that, there's no reason that a well-maintained Model 10 won't outlive several generations of owners -- and should one of those owners decide to part with it, they'll get most of their investment back out of it.

Mike

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    A big consideration I make when I buy *any* gun is resale value. I'm not a fan of buying anything that will plummet in value the second I own it (and it technically becomes "second hand"), and that would be the biggest argument I'd make against buying a new Taurus / Charter Arms / RIA.

Case-in-point: a used S&W Model 10, bought for $350, will sell for about that same amount, assuming that there's no big corrections in the market for these guns. A new $350 Taurus will probably sell for $200 used.

If you know you're going to keep your gun forever, then get what you want. Otherwise, sit low and look for the used bargains to pop up. A good .38 caliber revolver is not a rare thing; just about every gun show I go to has some Smith & Wesson hand ejectors that can be had for a few hundred dollars. As others have said, it's worth giving the gun a once-over to make sure the lockup is tight ... assuming that, there's no reason that a well-maintained Model 10 won't outlive several generations of owners -- and should one of those owners decide to part with it, they'll get most of their investment back out of it.

Mike
    Very good argument. I'm not in a rush to buy one, so ill keep an eye out for a deal.

Jolly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Central Louisiana
    Taurus revolvers have waxed and waned in the quality of product leaving the factory over the years. Having said that, I own three...A model 82 and a Model 66 from years ago and a Model 85 I bought last year. The 82 has a trigger job and has put thousands of rounds downrange since the 1980's. The 66 has had some handloads shot through it that bordered on the silly stage. Both have been decent weapons.

The 85 is ok for what it is. The trigger pull is less than desirable, but a two-inch snub is a get-off-of-me gun, anyway. If I was just looking to get in a firefight, a five shot snub ain't what I'd reach for.

Are the Smiths going to be better? yes. Is something like a Ruger Security Six an option? Sure, they're good guns, but a bit heavy. Bought a used one last year with two speedloaders and pouches for $150 in a private sale.

I've seen more problems with old Rossi products and Llamas than with Taurus. Just IME.

If I was looking for affordable and shootable, I'd look for a used Taurus 82, change the grips out to what she likes and find a round the gun likes. Will it hold its value? Maybe, maybe not. But I bet it depreciates less than two boxes of shells over a few years and probably not that much.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Very good argument. I'm not in a rush to buy one, so ill keep an eye out for a deal.

If you are not already signed up, get on the email list for AIM Surplus. I often see them selling police trade in revolvers and autos. There are other online sites that do this as well, but their names escape me at the moment...

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    S&W Model 15 or 67 would be my pick...and if shooting 38's, I'd get a 38spl and pass on the magnum. The 19 and 66 seem to command a premium, too. I have come across a few good deals on 67's and esp, worn finish model 15's, lately. I have a 15-4 with some finish issues that is an absolute laser...just cant miss with it!

Dave Porter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    Troy you seem very comfortable articulating what you are looking for. My input on this subject is to find the nearest police outfitter in your area and buy a used service weapon. If the gun is available used it will almost certainly be a S&W. Also watch for local gun shows. The 38 spc is by far the most common used revolver gun to be found and can be found for cheap by comparison to brand new.

Good luck,

Dave

kcomeau10x

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2008
    Lafayette
    I have a S&W model 14 that I will sell you. It has a 6” barrel, wooden grips and is blued. It has seen little use and I have never fired it. I bought it used on the Bullseye forum with the intention of shooting it in Distinguished Revolver matches, but never did. It is in the original box but has no accessories or paperwork.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Troy you seem very comfortable articulating what you are looking for. My input on this subject is to find the nearest police outfitter in your area and buy a used service weapon. If the gun is available used it will almost certainly be a S&W. Also watch for local gun shows. The 38 spc is by far the most common used revolver gun to be found and can be found for cheap by comparison to brand new.

Good luck,

Dave

Most LEA's went with semi auto pistols before most BS Members were born.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    If you are not already signed up, get on the email list for AIM Surplus. I often see them selling police trade in revolvers and autos. There are other online sites that do this as well, but their names escape me at the moment...

I have a S&W model 14 that I will sell you. It has a 6* barrel, wooden grips and is blued. It has seen little use and I have never fired it. I bought it used on the Bullseye forum with the intention of shooting it in Distinguished Revolver matches, but never did. It is in the original box but has no accessories or paperwork.

6" is a bit too long. thanks tho.

1wise1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Carrollton, Texas
    Before I offer advice I have a question: Is a revolver for your girlfriend always going to be used as a range toy or are you/she preparing her to carry a weapon? If carry is the projected end point then a snubby for an inexperienced shooter is not the answer. Most people can't hit the broad side of a barn with a snub nosed anything. Close quarters work, say from 6 feet in, she will probably hit an attacker with 50 percent of what she shoots. Do the math and then gently move her thinking over to a larger magazine capacity. AIM is/was selling ex-Leo Glock 19's for $300. A 16 round mag loaded with Critical Defense will stop anything on 2 legs and most things on 4 legs. Why do you think police departments forced everybody to turn in their revolvers? Too many dead detectives.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Jim's has some trade-in model 64's for around 400, several in the case. Not sure what the market price is currently on them to compare, just passing it on

Top Bottom