Open carry upheld by federal appeals court ruling today.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Last edited:

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    The 9th is just trying to keep that from SCOTUS... But soon enough.

As far as open carry - not so much. But the local Walmarts are a testament that there are people who do.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    As far as open carry - not so much. But the local Walmarts are a testament that there are people who do.

Why, you have seen people in walmart open carrying? I never have, and I do all my grocery shopping there. But I do go early, to avoid the natives.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have a few times, more in rural areas. I don't think I'd try it in New Orleans... legal or not I'd rather not make new friends in central lockup... :)

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Why, you have seen people in walmart open carrying? I never have, and I do all my grocery shopping there. But I do go early, to avoid the natives.

Yep - in Watson several times, Denham and Livingston too. Several guys using the super safe Mexican Carry method.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I live in Harvey, and work in Metarie. I open carry on a daily basis. I keep it discrete so that the average joe doesn't notice but still open enough that I'm legal and a officer can distiguish that I'm not trying to conceal. ( dickie type pants, collared polo tucked in with a belt. IWB holster. )

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The one time I went to WalMart here in the Red Stick, I decided to open carry for the hell of it. Wore my Sig P226 in a Safariland ALS holster. Nobody seemed to care.

Mike

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I live in Harvey, and work in Metarie. I open carry on a daily basis. I keep it discrete so that the average joe doesn't notice but still open enough that I'm legal and a officer can distiguish that I'm not trying to conceal. ( dickie type pants, collared polo tucked in with a belt. IWB holster. )

Kevin, approx how long have you been OCing? Have u had any negative experiences/interactions, say from other civilians, or LEOs?

I'm guessing that the same restricted places for CHP, apply for open carry. Or are there any restrictive differences?

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Kevin, approx how long have you been OCing? Have u had any negative experiences/interactions, say from other civilians, or LEOs?

I'm guessing that the same restricted places for CHP, apply for open carry. Or are there any restrictive differences?

I started getting over the nervousness and OC'ing about a year ago. For the most part, the general population I've noticed, doesn't pay attention to their surroundings enough to notice. The few that do, will usually, give me a dirty look, give a respectful head-nod of acknowledgment or ask me if I'm a cop. Around LEO, when they notice, they make a point to say hello, and if they have time, will try to make small talk, I'm guessing to feel out what kind of guy is carrying a pistol in their presence, which I perfectly understand. (I've met some really great people this way). I use the Laws and rules for CC as far as where I do/don't carry. I try to go by, if you can't conceal, then you surely can't open carry.

Last edited:

Cowboy55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2018
    Baton Rouge LA
    Yep - in Watson several times, Denham and Livingston too. Several guys using the super safe Mexican Carry method.

I shop often at WalMart in Baton Rouge and Denham Springs, and I've seen several guys open carrying. I've been thinking about doing it myself, especially since getting a concealed carry permit would cost almost $300 (including training class). I'm living on Social Security, so that's way too expensive.

What's the Mexican Carry? Never heard of it.

Top Bottom