Open carry upheld by federal appeals court ruling today.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Got me. "Cocked and locked" to me is condition one carry.

Guys who mexican carry and have an AD become transexuals :)

come to Nola area. Its not hard to find a transsexual. I see 3 or 4 a week on average that are obvious. I wouldn't doubt that I've checked out a female or 2 in the past that weren't actually female, and I just didn't know. Sheesh... Just thinking about realizing that, makes me queasy...

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    come to Nola area. Its not hard to find a transsexual. I see 3 or 4 a week on average that are obvious. I wouldn't doubt that I've checked out a female or 2 in the past that weren't actually female, and I just didn't know. Sheesh... Just thinking about realizing that, makes me queasy...

Dude, i sure am having a good hard laugh right now :)

Plenty trans in da quarter :)

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So are you stating that the 9th US circuit court made the wrong decision and law abiding citizens in the USA should not have the right to OC if they choose to?

No. He's saying he's not a fan of open carry. Having the right and exercising that right are not the same thing.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I've Open Carried on and off for over 30 years, mostly in North Louisiana, without issue. I was asked to leave a Shreveport hospital once but the officers were very polite and were well aware that what I had done was legal as the hospital wasn't posted in any way and were very apologetic about it. I have NEVER had a negative interaction with the police either when carrying Openly or Concealed and I have had several. I've had a Louisiana CHP since back when it was "May Issue" instead of "Shall Issue" as it is now.

I am also the Chief Information Officer of the Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League. A gun rights and information source on Louisiana Open Carry issues and topics. There is also another Louisiana Open Carry/Carry group called Louisiana Carry as well that we are not affiliated with.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I've Open Carried on and off for over 30 years, mostly in North Louisiana, without issue. I was asked to leave a Shreveport hospital once but the officers were very polite and were well aware that what I had done was legal as the hospital wasn't posted in any way and were very apologetic about it. I have NEVER had a negative interaction with the police either when carrying Openly or Concealed and I have had several. I've had a Louisiana CHP since back when it was "May Issue" instead of "Shall Issue" as it is now.

I am also the Chief Information Officer of the Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League. A gun rights and information source on Louisiana Open Carry issues and topics. There is also another Louisiana Open Carry/Carry group called Louisiana Carry as well that we are not affiliated with.

First time I have visited the website. Very useful information, thx. http://www.laopencarry.org/statutes.shtml

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    so are you stating that the 9th us circuit court made the wrong decision and law abiding citizens in the usa should not have the right to oc if they choose to?

No John, i said i am not a fan of open carry!

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Ive been open carrying at work and during my commute to and from; often on my motorcycle as it is my preferred daily driver. I work at a gun shop so some may consider it a little more likely for me to do so. Its easier to sell a holster that way of a similar kind! I usually conceal carry but I am also waiting on a bigger carry belt to come in. I visit local gas stations/stores around the westbank open carrying without issue before,during,and after my work day.

Last edited:

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    To each their own. I see no point in letting everyone know what I have on me. I support it but choose not to do it.

Agreed. I would rather fly under the radar and be a bit of a surprise in the event that it becomes necessary to actually use my CCW. I also dress fairly nondescript - nothing yelling HE'S ARMED. That. said, I fully support the right to open carry and think that the 9th was correct.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Guys, whether or not open carry is the right decision for you is irrelevant. This argument has been hashed out a million times; those who will open carry have their own reasons for doing so, as do those who choose to conceal carry.

*Any* movement in the courts to protect gun rights (and especially in the 9th) is a good thing. Would you rather have the right to choose how you carry, or would you rather have the state legislature make that decision for you?

Mike

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Guys, whether or not open carry is the right decision for you is irrelevant. This argument has been hashed out a million times; those who will open carry have their own reasons for doing so, as do those who choose to conceal carry.

*Any* movement in the courts to protect gun rights (and especially in the 9th) is a good thing. Would you rather have the right to choose how you carry, or would you rather have the state legislature make that decision for you?

Mike

I've kept up with this thread. I don't recall anyone saying the decision by the court was a bad decision.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I use the Laws and rules for CC as far as where I do/don't carry. I try to go by, if you can't conceal, then you surely can't open carry.

Don't try to used one place we can CC and OC can't. Going to a restaurant that serves booze.

I might have OC'ed a few times over the years out here in the country but I've had a CHP since they started and been CC'ing all those years

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Don't try to used one place we can CC and OC can't. Going to a restaurant that serves booze.

I might have OC'ed a few times over the years out here in the country but I've had a CHP since they started and been CC'ing all those years

Ok, I think ur saying you are permitted to CC (with a Louisiana CHP) in a restaurant that serves booze to patrons/diners....and a guy cannot OC. Well you better brush up on ur CHP rules because on the LSP website it states under prohibited places, bullet #10: "Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises."

Link to CHP rules: http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#prohibited

PROHIBITED LOCATIONS
    R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

A law enforcement office, station, or building;
    A detention facility, prison, or jail;
    A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
    A polling place;
    A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
    The state capitol building;
    Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
    Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship; See RS 40:1379.3 (U)
    A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;

Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.

Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

Last edited:

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    To be picky, those laws are stated to apply to those WITH A CHP. It says nothing about openly carried guns. Now. do I want to be the one to challenge it? HELL NO! I can't afford a lawyer THAT good and I'd rather die than spend a night in jail due to my physical issues that force me to eat, sleep and pretty much LIVE in a recliner these days.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    To be picky, those laws are stated to apply to those WITH A CHP. It says nothing about openly carried guns. Now. do I want to be the one to challenge it? HELL NO! I can't afford a lawyer THAT good and I'd rather die than spend a night in jail due to my physical issues that force me to eat, sleep and pretty much LIVE in a recliner these days.

From everything I have read today on CHP and OC, on ur website, the other OC website, and the LSP website, there are no differences in the applicable Louisiana law pertaining to prohibited locations, CHP or OC.

Templar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    Chalmette, Louisiana
    How is it against the law to carry in church?? I have a couple of churches around my home that even the pastors carry, and I’m aware of LE doing the training?? How does that work?

Top Bottom