Where to get a Great Burger? Kenner / Metairie

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    You are spot on, reel to reel, Bose speakers hanging from the ceiling thru out the restaurant. And those pewter mugs. The sound system was behind large sliding glass doors, minus the speakers, obviously.

If you remember, the mugs had a hollow base. Like an inch, inch and a half.
    I remember sliding the glass doors. I want to say it was in the wall facing David Drive. I am not sure if I noticed the mug bases back then. I did eat at all there locations and remember their chili was good too. Because of Ground Patti and Rub Red's I have to stop myself from just throwing my peanut shells on the floor.

I can't remember my first date. WB location did have a waitress in the late 80's that was a particularly stunning older woman. Then again we could probably have a whole thread just on good looking waitresses.

Tom Fitzmorris loves saying past a certain age you shouldn't eat hamburgers or some such nonsense. Really makes me wonder about what his major malfunction is. That just isn't right.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I'm surprised no one mentioned Port of Call on Esplanade Ave in NO. Port of Call used to be very busy. Good burger and some crazy huge tropical cocktails. Haven't been there in prob 8 years plus.

I know of two really good hamburger places outside of LA. Island Hamburger in NYC, and Bobcat Bites in Santa Fe, NM.
    Bobcat Bites used to be located in an old shop (originally was a trading post, then a gun shop before hamburgers, mud building) on this deserted road outside of town, like 50-70 years there but they moved to downtown SF a few years ago. The old place had a soda bar with the old fixed stools in a row. Never been to the new place n downtown.
    Man you talk about good, green or red chili on a big ole hamburger :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobcat_Bite

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Tom Fitzmorris loves saying past a certain age you shouldn't eat hamburgers or some such nonsense. Really makes me wonder about what his major malfunction is. That just isn't right.

Well he's a dumb azz. I'll be eating a good burger occasionally as long as I can. I LIKE a "really good" hamburger! And ur right on about the stereo glass rack, faced David Dr. Same wall with the restrooms and the center aisle to the kitchen area.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    You are spot on, reel to reel, Bose speakers hanging from the ceiling thru out the restaurant. And those pewter mugs. The sound system was behind large sliding glass doors, minus the speakers, obviously.

Ahhhh, Lilly. She resided in Texas, with long straight brown hair to her buttocks :) I must have been 13 or 14. My mother drove us there and dropped us off.

If you remember, the mugs had a hollow base. Like an inch, inch and a half.
    My mom and dad's best friends with the manager. He worked there for years. Said that they called the cops on a regular basis as they would steal the mugs. It was a popular thing to do. When confronted that the cops were on the way! Ladies they would run in the bath room and hide them. From the pusre to the toillet tank.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    My mom and dad's best friends with the manager. He worked there for years. Said that they called the cops on a regular basis as they would steal the mugs. It was a popular thing to do. When confronted that the cops were on the way! Ladies they would run in the bath room and hide them. From the pusre to the toillet tank.

LOL. I never in all the years thought of stealing a mug, that I can recall. I was sad to see GP close all the other locations. They had one in Hammond for a while, before my moving up here. Its a chinese buffet place now, pretty good one.

Wish they still had a GP restaurant in Hammond. I'd hit it regularly.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    GP was awesome. Its ok now... the kenner location had a sign out selling the mugs. I meant to order a set and never got around to it. It'd have been great to keep in the freezer!

RDO let me know if you want to hit laagers one night! (BS.com burger night in Metairie! )

Cheesecake factory has the biggest menu around. You can get anything there. Its all pretty good.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    GP was awesome. Its ok now... the kenner location had a sign out selling the mugs. I meant to order a set and never got around to it. It'd have been great to keep in the freezer!

RDO let me know if you want to hit laagers one night! (BS.com burger night in Metairie! )

Cheesecake factory has the biggest menu around. You can get anything there. It's all pretty good.

I will have to check out the Cheesecake Factory. Does that Girl on the Big Bang Theory work there?
    Other than my son being 20 so no bars, I was smoked out at the Chateau Pub. I am a non-drinker but do not mind drinking but smoke a filled room is a no go.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I like Ground Patti too. I really liked Ruby Reds but they are no longer open.....something about watching the burger be cooked on the coals gave it a great taste.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Ain't there No More. Ruby Reds was great. Kinda strange the 1st time going there you have to walk down a narrow alley them back threw the kitchen & pass the grill. And if you couldn't get in? Just walk over to Port of Call.

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    I like Company burger, and the owner is Pro-Gun. Based on all the stickers in the window.
    Atomic burger and Five guys come in second

port-of-call and Lakeview Harbor Burgers have gone down in quality. I remember one burger could feed you and your date, now they are tiny.

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    For me the best burger place.

#1 - Perrin's Restaurant and Bar on the corner of Sauve and Hickory in Harahan (about 3 block before Shooter's Club) The bar is smoke free.

#2 - The Ridge Bistro on Hickory in Harahan. behind Heads and Tails and next to Corretta's mexican

#3 - Shimmy Shack also in Harahan on the corner of Dock and Dickory has a really good burger.

#4 - Ground Patti - on David Dr. is pretty good also.

Desi's is also pretty good, The only reason the GF and I go there . We eat at the other place alot and want some thing different.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    For me the best burger place.

#1 - Perrin's Restaurant and Bar on the corner of Sauve and Hickory in Harahan (about 3 block before Shooter's Club) The bar is smoke free.

#2 - The Ridge Bistro on Hickory in Harahan. behind Heads and Tails and next to Corretta's mexican

#3 - Shimmy Shack also in Harahan on the corner of Dock and Dickory has a really good burger.

#4 - Ground Patti - on David Dr. is pretty good also.

Desi's is also pretty good, The only reason the GF and I go there . We eat at the other place alot and want some thing different.

Is your list ordered or in no special order? I'm gonna hit those.
    We almost went to the Shimmy Shack a while back with another couple. After reading the reviews we decided to not chance it that night. Shimmy Shack & Cheesecake Factory both have the diametrically opposed reviews happening, but I know first hand how that goes.

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Is your list ordered or in no special order? I'm gonna hit those.
    We almost went to the Shimmy Shack a while back with another couple. After reading the reviews we decided to not chance it that night. Shimmy Shack & Cheesecake Factory both have the diametrically opposed reviews happening, but I know first hand how that goes.

Yes, that's my list in order.
    Shimmy Shack can be hit or miss on service. The GF and I like most stuff on the menu. Pretty much the only thing we don't care for are their Salads.
    The Cuban and the Hot Shimmy are my other go to's at Shimmy Shack.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Yes, that's my list in order.
    Shimmy Shack can be hit or miss on service. The GF and I like most stuff on the menu. Pretty much the only thing we don't care for are their Salads.
    The Cuban and the Hot Shimmy are my other go to's at Shimmy Shack.

Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah, some times I don't mind a little bit of slow service. It's different if a waitress trying vs just not caring. For the most part I'm more worried about the food and no smoking. One place I go for breakfast has waitresses that are fine oneday, not too good another or sometimes flake out mid way.

I have seen reviews that made no sense. Like one where someone complained about where they were seated - in a you seat yourself place.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LazrBeam
    Top Bottom