Join BayouShooter For Free
Pelican

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    enthusiast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    The listing says the camera will pick up plates. It's 1080p and only 30 fps. How well does it capture plates at a stop? What about while driving?
    Strangely I never checked. So I just pulled my memory card and watched the video. Cars and scenery came in very clear, but plates not so much. I can see a plate on a car a few feet ahead of me while stopped, but cannot make them out on the cars passing by. Probably the camera, but I'm not sure what the resolution is on my 2012 macbook air.
    Stephen

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

I run this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Dashcam-Dashb.../dp/B07DF8MQX1

It takes great pics...except for in low light whenever someone breaks into your vehicle, pulls it off the windshield, and somewhat passes by their face while they're in your back seat stealing your stuff. Or so I heard.

Anyways, the videos are great while driving and it does pick up plates.
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AustinBR View Post
    I run this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Dashcam-Dashb.../dp/B07DF8MQX1

It takes great pics...except for in low light whenever someone breaks into your vehicle, pulls it off the windshield, and somewhat passes by their face while they're in your back seat stealing your stuff. Or so I heard.

Anyways, the videos are great while driving and it does pick up plates.
    Oh, and I have an extra one (NIB) and a 64GB memory card. Anyone who wants it is welcome to PM me with an offer.

Edit to add: I bought one for the GF and then decided that convincing her that she needed it in her car wasn't worth the headache.
    -- Austin

--Michael Jordan

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Strangely I never checked. So I just pulled my memory card and watched the video. Cars and scenery came in very clear, but plates not so much. I can see a plate on a car a few feet ahead of me while stopped, but cannot make them out on the cars passing by. Probably the camera, but I'm not sure what the resolution is on my 2012 macbook air.
    I would suspect it's the camera. I've handled quite a bit of surveillance video over the years. 1080p/30fps should be good enough to catch the stationary plates but I don't think I've seen that resolution/frame rate pick up a plate on a moving car without a bit of tinkering.

tacklebox

User Info Menu

Noob, that looks perfect. Thanks for those pics. Does the screen stay lit up the whole time it’s on or recording?

Austin, that one seems large and noticeable, I’d be afraid that would give someone a reason to break in in the first place.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself.
    ... the very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good"

-George Washington

Sic semper tyrannis

User Info Menu

I have this in my XJ. Works great and adjusts well to all light settings even with a tinted shield. I wired it in to the ignition-on hot wire on my overhead console and hid all the wires within. Came out super clean and now I know everytime the key is turned it will be recording automatically.

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Dashboa.../dp/B01M592J9C

I got one of the amazon universal mount kits that clamp on the goose neck for the rear view mirror. The suction cups dont hold up to heat as well as a clamp. Also you cant use that on tint.
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

I like guns because they're f*cking awesome.

tacklebox

User Info Menu

I like the idea of the clamp.
    It gets hot down here, I’m sure it could melt the adhesive on the sticky pad.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself.
    ... the very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good"

-George Washington

enthusiast

User Info Menu

How it looks on the computer. The video doesn’t actually look dark in the corners like this cell phone pic makes it look.
    Stephen

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xobelkcat View Post
    Noob, that looks perfect. Thanks for those pics. Does the screen stay lit up the whole time itís on or recording?

Austin, that one seems large and noticeable, Iíd be afraid that would give someone a reason to break in in the first place.
    It's not. You can't even see it from the outside. I have the top of it next to my rear view mirror behind my very dark tint line.

The only visible part is the little camera lens sticking down.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
    -- Austin

--Michael Jordan