Dash cam recommendation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Looking for updated dash cam recs. Has anyone upgraded or found anything else they like. I can't imagine a world in which Austin is still running the same cam from 2019!
    You would be correct, LOL!

I have the 4k BlackVue cam front and back, hardwired into my fuse box. When the vehicle is on, it also backs up automatically to my car's hotspot.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Capturing plates on moving vehicles is all about controlling the shutter speed. The size of the image isn't always important. With the dash cam, I'm going close to the same speed as the other vehicle so the relative speed isn't too great. Even then, the shutter speed is a little slow. I've got surveillance cameras on my house set to read plates but I was able to speed up the shutter to 1/3000 during the day and 1/1000 at night. This $70 doesn't have that ability. My main purpose for getting the camera was to share videos of people who's driving habits change when they see my car may be one they don't want to drive stupid around. I don't have public plates and I don't have external markings or lights. But it does have tinted windows and a spotlight on the a-pillar. I believe it's the spotlight that does it. Anyway, here are some screenshots from a recent video. I took a screenshot in VLC then cropped the screenshot due to size. I could probably get a better image with my stuff at home but I'm at work and I can't install much on this laptop.

vlcsnap-2024-03-27-16h22m34s949.png

vlcsnap-2024-03-27-16h22m46s580.png

vlcsnap-2024-03-27-16h22m54s119.png

vlcsnap-2024-03-27-16h23m03s863.png

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I got one of Amazon, not a name brand, but a good one none the less. It has a "IR night vison camera" supposedly and has dual cameras for recording inside and outside the vehicle consecutively. My truck has back up camera from the factory so I wasn't going to add another. I just got one for my wifes truck which doesn't have a factory camera so I got a dual channel one again, but this one just videos/records front & rear cameras . I won't leave home without one now. As stupid as some drivers are now days, I will be protected.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I got one of Amazon, not a name brand, but a good one none the less. It has a "IR night vison camera" supposedly and has dual cameras for recording inside and outside the vehicle consecutively. My truck has back up camera from the factory so I wasn't going to add another. I just got one for my wifes truck which doesn't have a factory camera so I got a dual channel one again, but this one just videos/records front & rear cameras . I won't leave home without one now. As stupid as some drivers are now days, I will be protected.

My car has a backup camera. I hunted down a dash cam that would record the 2nd channel rather than use the 2nd channel as a backup.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Capturing plates on moving vehicles is all about controlling the shutter speed. The size of the image isn't always important. With the dash cam, I'm going close to the same speed as the other vehicle so the relative speed isn't too great. Even then, the shutter speed is a little slow. I've got surveillance cameras on my house set to read plates but I was able to speed up the shutter to 1/3000 during the day and 1/1000 at night. This $70 doesn't have that ability. My main purpose for getting the camera was to share videos of people who's driving habits change when they see my car may be one they don't want to drive stupid around. I don't have public plates and I don't have external markings or lights. But it does have tinted windows and a spotlight on the a-pillar. I believe it's the spotlight that does it. Anyway, here are some screenshots from a recent video. I took a screenshot in VLC then cropped the screenshot due to size. I could probably get a better image with my stuff at home but I'm at work and I can't install much on this laptop.
    What cameras at your house capture plates well? I'm in the market for new cameras.

My car has a backup camera. I hunted down a dash cam that would record the 2nd channel rather than use the 2nd channel as a backup.
    That's the same reason I went with the BlackVue as it does a good job recording from the rear.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What cameras at your house capture plates well? I'm in the market for new cameras.

That's the same reason I went with the BlackVue as it does a good job recording from the rear.

They're not small cameras and they're more expensive than the Costco Swann bundles. I painted them and they do kinda blend in.

I have two EmpireTech IPC-B52IR-Z12E cameras. It's a rebranded Dahua. It's got a 5mm-60mm zoom lens. I've got it zoomed in quite a bit with a 1/2000 s shutter speed during the day and 1/500 at night. Those cameras were set up to capture plates. That's all they do. I have other cameras set up to get the rest. The distance from the camera to the cars is about 150-170 feet and the cars are going around 20-30mph on average.

plare right day.jpg

plate left day.jpg

plare right night.jpg

plate left night.jpg

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    They're big bot they're not really huge cameras. They just aren't the small ones that are mostly useless. Here's a composite video with footage from a good camera and a vivint camera. I saved a clip from each and put them together keeping their relative size difference. The big video exported in 4k. The small is 360p.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom