First suppressor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I have a SilencerCo Omega45HD and so far I have only shot 9mm through it (147gr) and it was very quiet. I need to get a threaded barrel for my HK 45 compact or my 1911 so I can shoot 45 through it.

chrisdcd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    anywhere
    So I'm considering my first suppressor purchase. Currently, it's main host would be a Stribog in 9mm, although I would also like to be able to use it on my G19 OR my 14.5" AR in 5.56 (one or the other, not both). From the little research I've done, it seems I can't get one for all three and have it be practical on them all. The Omega 36 seems to fit the bill for all 3 but I'm not looking to drop $1k right now on a suppressor, I'd like to stay around $800 or less including stamp.
    So far, the ones that stand out to me are the omega 9k, obsidian 9, and the liberty centurion.
    Should I consider a 45 can instead of a 9? I do not own anything larger than a 9mm currently but having that option is appealing. Is there any real disadvantages to using a 45 can for 9mm?
    What are the advantages of setting up a trust these days and is it worth it?
    Are there any advantages/disadvantages to ordering online from somewhere like silencershop.com?

The trust is definitely the way to go for an NFA item. I could go into a long explanation, but the gist is this......you can start a trust with you being the only member initially. Once the item, or items, are moved into the trust, you can legally add pretty much anyone to the trust, giving them access to that NFA item. If you don't have a trust, you and you only, are the only responsible person for the item. No one else can transport, have in their possession, or otherwise have use of the suppressor..according to the ATF anyway. It's not difficult to set up, and its def worth it. There are some local attorneys that do it for $300, or you can do it online for $100.

As far as 9mm suppressors, that's one of the few that really are not broadly interchangeable with multiple calibers other than 300 blackout. Whether it be bc of thread pitch, can rating, or whatever. If you don't have a 45, I would not buy a 45 can. Yes, there is a large advantage to having the the same caliber can on the same caliber gun. Overall performance, in my experience, is always better. Along with decibel reduction. If you have the opportunity to shoot some and try em out that's good advantage, but even doing that it's difficult to really understand how much the specific caliber affects performance without the hands on experience of shooting with them regularly. I can tell you this, once you start shooting suppressed, you won't ever go back. You will find a way to suppress everything you have I'm almost certain of that. A lot of guys start off with 30 caliber cans bc they work on everything generally, from 300 win mag down. Some have QD attachments, some you can swap out the thread cap to 1/2" 28, or you can buy bushings that you can screw on and cross it over. They sell them at Brownells. If you have any questions on suggestions of something affordable feel free to reach out to me here.

I will tout the Acadian Armament stuff here in Lafayette. He's a local guy, and his cans are legit. He's a great guy, and he's put a lot of energy behind making his brand be the best he can make it, and he's done a good job with his stuff. They have a website.

longshot308

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    This is a great question. I know a lot about rifle suppressors but pistol is out of my comfort zone.

Do you know where to get it? I highly suggest finding a small shop to at least do the transfer. A bigger store will hold your paperwork until they get a pile of orders and send them all in at once. A small shop (think really small) will take care of you individually and usually you're dealing with the owner and he/she will send off paperwork same day. They want to give you good service to get you to come back. I would suggest Landry's or Abita Outfitters. They are both very knowledgeable and friendly. I know Abita Outfitters is registered with silencershop but dont have a kiosk yet. You can go and register in any kiosk and just give him your name when you buy/transfer.

I know neither are super close to you but I live in Prairieville also and I go to them.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Do you know where to get it? I highly suggest finding a small shop to at least do the transfer. A bigger store will hold your paperwork until they get a pile of orders and send them all in at once.

Most "big shops" use Silencershop now. So whatever big shop is still doing paper forms is behind the times.

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    I've also been considering a Supppressor for about a year now. Initially I wanted one in 9mm but after doing research, it seems 9mm isn't a great caliber to suppress because of how light the bullets are generally. I mean you can, but you lose a lot of force apparently in subsonic rounds because a 9mm's lethality is generally dependent on speed producing hollowpoint expansion, you lose that largerly in subsonics but that can be mitigated to a degree.... I think it makes wayyyy more sense to get a 45 can. 45 ball, regular range ammo, is already subsonic, it just makes your life easier and doesn't sacrifice too much ptency in your firearm! Right now, I'm on the verge of actually getting a .22 suppressor as my first suppressor, I been looking at threaded 10/22, the takedown models, with a little red dot and a can that would be one great vegetable patch defense rifle and a great survival rifle. Anyway... go with the 45!

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I've also been considering a Supppressor for about a year now. Initially I wanted one in 9mm but after doing research, it seems 9mm isn't a great caliber to suppress because of how light the bullets are generally. I mean you can, but you lose a lot of force apparently in subsonic rounds because a 9mm's lethality is generally dependent on speed producing hollowpoint expansion, you lose that largerly in subsonics but that can be mitigated to a degree.... I think it makes wayyyy more sense to get a 45 can. 45 ball, regular range ammo, is already subsonic, it just makes your life easier and doesn't sacrifice too much ptency in your firearm! Right now, I'm on the verge of actually getting a .22 suppressor as my first suppressor, I been looking at threaded 10/22, the takedown models, with a little red dot and a can that would be one great vegetable patch defense rifle and a great survival rifle. Anyway... go with the 45!

9mm subs are plenty of fun. They have cycled Sterling, Lanchester, Uzi, Sten, MK760 and Glock machine guns in my personal experience. I sure wouldn't want to be hit by one.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I'm still on the fence with the 9 or 45. I really like my 9mm ammo costs vs 45 so I'm really not sure I will ever own a 45. However, what's to say I don't run up on a killer deal on one or just get the fever to own one, ect. I really wouldn't mind owning a 45 sub gun to be honest. Decisions, decisions.
    At the moment, I am leaning towards the 45 but I just don't have enough (any actually) experience with this subject to determine how much of a difference it would make vs a 9 can on a 9mm.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    If you are getting a pistol caliber can get one that is for 45cal. You can shoot 9mm through a 45 can but you can't shoot 45 through a 9mm can. Buy one can for multiple hosts get a 45 cal can I can't say that enough.

I have an Octane45 can that I shoot my 1911 through and also my M&P 9mm and AR9 the bigger 45 cal opening doesn't make that big of a difference when shooting 9mm. 9mm subs are stupid quiet and giggle-inducing just like shooting 230gr 45s through the same can.

If you shoot the can on a pistol you will need the spring that goes over the piston so that it helps the slide cycle it has a name but can't remember it right now. If you shoot it on an AR9 you need to get a spacer for the piston so it doesn't mess it up.

I have mentioned it before and if you are trying to keep your can count low then the most versatile setup is a .22cal can, a 45 cal pistol, and 308 rifle can. That covers 99% of peoples shooting neeeds the rest is all personal preference like quick attach system versus direct thread and what brand you like....

Oh yeah almost forgot some manufacturers have minimum barrel length restrictions for their rifle cans so pay attention to that in case you might want to go the SBR route.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm still on the fence with the 9 or 45. I really like my 9mm ammo costs vs 45 so I'm really not sure I will ever own a 45. However, what's to say I don't run up on a killer deal on one or just get the fever to own one, ect. I really wouldn't mind owning a 45 sub gun to be honest. Decisions, decisions.
    At the moment, I am leaning towards the 45 but I just don't have enough (any actually) experience with this subject to determine how much of a difference it would make vs a 9 can on a 9mm.

Considering 9mm subsonic ammunition exists, I have zero reason to own a .45 ACP pistol. 9mm is also cheaper and a dedicated 9mm can will sound better with 9mm.

MOJO@AKLYS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    B.R.
    Absolutely 9mm over .45, sub 9mm Ammo is typically cheaper than .45.

Sound performance is MUCH better, and you can often use a 9mm can on .22 and 300blk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom