Join BayouShooter For Free
Meplat

Page 1 of 8 12 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

ammo 'stash' question

i've been loading my ammo 'stash', you know the ammo you use for plinking, zombie attack, emergency self defense with fmj and cast lead. does anyone load hollow points for non-carry self defense?

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

JHP’s are common for folks reloading 9 Major.

If you want to reload JHP for target use, go for it.

Don’t reload ammunition for self defense.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grantn View Post
    i've been loading my ammo 'stash', you know the ammo you use for plinking, zombie attack, emergency self defense with fmj and cast lead. does anyone load hollow points for non-carry self defense?
    Just my Zombie rounds I load cast 158 gr.HP's
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    JHP’s are common for folks reloading 9 Major.

If you want to reload JHP for target use, go for it.

Don’t reload ammunition for self defense.
    What Dave said.

Guns are my crack!!

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I would never use reloads for self defense unless that is all I had. I load lots of 9mm JHP for competition and never had an issue, all inspected and case gauged, but there is also the legal aspect of shooting someone with reloads which I'm sure most knowledgeable gun guys know already.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I carry a gun because I'm too old for an ass whoopin', and too young to die!

USPSA # A55195
    NRA # 138603535

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilante Sniper View Post
    ... there is also the legal aspect of shooting someone with reloads which I'm sure most knowledgeable gun guys know already.
    I understand that everyone "knows" this but has there ever been an actual court case? I've looked several times over the years but can't find anything that legitimizes this common knowledge.

In full disclosure, there is no sarcasm font and I'm not looking for the tired debate of "just because you can, should you" or "you be the first". I'm genuinely curious if anyone can site a case that was successfully prosecuted.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I prefer carrying LEA proven rounds such as Gold Dot, HST, Critical Duty, PDX1, Golden Saber, etc. to "Roll Your Own Rounds".

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Redd508 View Post
    I understand that everyone "knows" this but has there ever been an actual court case? I've looked several times over the years but can't find anything that legitimizes this common knowledge.

In full disclosure, there is no sarcasm font and I'm not looking for the tired debate of "just because you can, should you" or "you be the first". I'm genuinely curious if anyone can site a case that was successfully prosecuted.
    This is because Massad Ayoob has preached that narrative. Whether there have been actual court cases or not is irrelevant, because the simple fact of the matter is that you cannot perform reliable testing to ensure your reloads are effective as a jacketed hollow point defensive round. Pistol rounds suck at stopping people. They are good at poking holes. Unlike rifle rounds, they lack the velocity needed to create permanent cavities in human tissue.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    I prefer carrying LEA proven rounds such as Gold Dot, HST, Critical Duty, PDX1, Golden Saber, etc. to "Roll Your Own Rounds".
    This is the only answer when it comes to defensive ammunition in modern semi-automatic firearms in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP calibers.

JBP55 understands what goes into testing for self defense/duty rounds. It's not shooting watermelons and milk jugs.

Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot are the standard in modern defensive ammunition. Don't reload defensive ammunition and don't by gimmicky junk.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Redd508 View Post

You're correct,Like you I have never found a case either!
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    This is because Massad Ayoob has preached that narrative. Whether there have been actual court cases or not is irrelevant, because the simple fact of the matter is that you cannot perform reliable testing to ensure your reloads are effective as a jacketed hollow point defensive round.
    The legal argument is the only one relevant to my question. The fact that you survive a shooting event to be prosecuted testifies to the fact that your reload was just as effective. "Reliable Testing" is not a disqualifier for the need of any individual to use lethal force to protect themselves. FMJ's or hard cast bullets wont expand, even factory loaded. If you watch enough penetration/expansion videos of factory defensive ammo you will see that they dont always expand as well as the designers hope.