How To: Refinishing AR mags w/ Dry Film Moly

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    So I picked up a dozen 20 round AR mags that were in well used shape today, and decided to try my hand at refinishing them with Dry-Film moly, and take some pictures of how I went about doing it. I Didn't get a good picture of the overall condition of the mags, as I was disassembling them on the ride home from the store.

I found the CRC Dry Moly Aerosol lubricant at the Grainger store in Geismar, and it was $9.40 O.T.D. It can be found online, but there is a hazmat fee associated with shipping it, making it close to $25 or so if you only get one can. A word of caution, this stuff STINKS, it is very strong, and I would HIGHLY recommend against using it inside your home. I also used Acetone, a couple scotch brite pads, and some steel wool during the process.
    razcygrv05rfbu2pv5ir.jpg

First step was to disassemble the magazines, and scrub the magazine bodies in hot soapy water to get all the crud out of and off of them. The mag at the top is a Colt in very nice condition, used as a "control" to see the difference in the final results.
    bfuq4q4fl7u14us4kjkg.jpg

after drying off the mag bodies, I then (with appropriate chemical gloves) scrubbed them with 0000 steel wool soaked in acetone to remove any of the old dry film that wasn't adhered very well, along with any oil/grease. after they had dried, I wiped them down with a paper towel that was damp with acetone, and placed them on the newspaper to dry.

I followed the directions on the can, and sprayed thin, even coats from 8-10" over all the magazine bodies on one side. I put 2 coats on each side, before flipping over to do the other side.
    After first coat:
    s6tj60eej9oy0jt7s82v.jpg

2nd coat while still wet. I started to get upset when I first sprayed it on, as it was really dark, splotchy, and funny looking, but after the carrier dries, it lightens up in color, and evens out.
    j53qp0ex4mf20n6q5cm9.jpg

2nd coat dried:
    3bu43ujkf1wjt0i59yd.jpg

the alloy followers were in pretty crummy shape, so I tossed them in my brass tumbler as it was sitting right there on the bench, and they came out nice and cleaned. I wiped them down with acetone as well before spraying to remove any grease/oils.
    p3bn84ucgwadti9k1n1o.jpg

most of the information I have read about the dry film moly, says to bake/heat it after it dries for about an hour @150-200 degrees. This stuff STINKS, and there is no way in heck I'd bring it in my house, and put it in the oven, so next best thing was the top rack of the BBQ pit. I covered the rack wtih Aluminum foil, spread the mag bodies and coated followers out on it for about 30 minutes or so, flipping them a couple times.
    mo8kpdbknhvkcgsrz1lm.jpg

after removing the parts from the heat and letting them cool, all that is left is to re-assemble them, and buff out any overspray or spots.

0imz0ew17gjdj0sfe96k.jpg

Close up of finished mag
    dcez9mkf4vlhi2tvrmi2.jpg

and a comparison of the finishes on the Old 70's era Colt from 1st pic, brand new NHMTG/Colt 20 round Dry film, and the refinished mags.
    renqhuxq5itzrh1r01oh.jpg

I also sprayed a 30 round mag that had NO dry film left on it, in fact it was all gold anodizing. I did not clean it, or heat it, rather use it as a guinea pig to see if all the prep work is just overkill or not.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Very nice. Something old is new again. Guess I should have go off my hinny when I saw this in the Hot Deals thread. Damn northerners came and swooped up the good stuff. :)

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Nice search ARFcom for this too, but Perma Slik-G, is the Mil Spec stuff and its $18 a can and can do about 100 mags

I dont believe Permaslik-g is THE mil spec stuff, just meets the requirements.

Perma-Slik G is an air drying, MoS2 based, solid film lubricant with an epoxy binder system. This coating provides a low coefficient of friction, good corrosion resistance, and performs best in higher load carrying applications. Perma-Slik G is qualified to MIL-L-23398 and MIL-PRF-46147C.

Also, everywhere I read before attempting this, says 20-25 mags with 2 coats, depending on if 20 or 30 rounders. The PS-G and CRC are the same size cans, and no F'n way can you do 100 mags with it.
    That said, its the same stuff as the CRC dry film moly, that can be found local for 1/2 price at a grainger store. If ordered online, this stuff classifies as hazardous materials, and requires an additional HAZMAT charge, so you are looking at $30+ for 1 can.

Where can I buy the Perma-Slik G, also where is Perretts Surplus ?

Thanks

Shane

Just google it, and you will find results. Look at the results, and save yourself some money using the CRC dry film lube, it was $9.40 with tax included at the local Grainger store, and they had 30+ cans in stock.

Perrets is in Kenner, and they are out of 20 rounders, but still had 30's.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I picked up some of the same magazines as Richard did.

They are dirty on the inside so I have been taking them apart and cleaning them up. One had a ding on the one of the feed lips but that is easily fixed with some needlenose pliers.

I am not going to refinish these they seem to be in pretty good shape as is.

Hankroberts

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    On the CRC can, at the bottom (hidden by the curve of the can, in the pic) is either a Stock #, product # or a CAS #. Can you post that number? CRC has three different products listed by the same name.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom