Buffer Zone Suggestion Thread ** Official

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Note from Penguin: I decided to move and sticky this thread after reading some of the other threads. I moved it to the range thread because..well...I'm now officially jealous that I don't have an AK (v.whateva).

A couple things have been eating at me about the Stennis range. I've noticed, that ever since we cleaned it with the front-end loader, there is now a depression in the middle where there used to be a low ridge. The result is that water now always stands from one side to the other 30 yards downrange. It pretty much makes it impossible to get downrange - ever. IPlayBass, if you can it would be really good if you could push some of that dirt that you dug out back into the center, so there'd be a ridge again down the center of the range. That way we'd have a raised path we could use to set up targets again at all different ranges.

The other thing that bothers me is the table. Guys, we have to fix it. If ya'll want I'd be willing to supply the pressure-treated 4x4's and a couple pressure-treated 2x6's to make the frame if seven other guys will volunteer to supply a pressure-treated 2x6 each. Ya'll bring them to my house or bring them next weekend to Stennis where I can collect them. I'll pre-drill the holes, and supply the bolts and washers, then the next time I go up I can assemble it. We'd have a second shooting bench that's a lot more sturdy than the one there now, bolted together with pressure-treated wood with spaces for water to drain off.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

SimonJester308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Is there a way to make a donation for this project? Im offshore right now but wouldnt mind chipping in $20. Just to let you all know, I'll probably never get to see stennis as its to far for me, but I like the idea of some people volunteering their time to clean up a shooting spot. You all did a great job.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Hey My-rifle we can borrow my bosses trailer and haul two tables up there next sunday.The reason I say next Sunday is because IPB just left my house and we agreed to meet up next sunday to set the 2 new targets with the backhoe. We can set the tables also.Ill also bring the rakes and bags for everyone to put some trash in put it on the trailer then dump it at my shop.If someone knows where some pipe thats around 2 inches in diameter we could make the legs and frame ( All but the top)out of metal and set the legs in the dirt with the backhoe.Then make the tops out of treated plywood.When the top gets worn or shot up it can be replaced.Surley someone here has or knows where we can get some pipe.Ill supply the plywood and welding fabrication the transporting of the goods up there.My-rifle we need 3 more 2X4 slabs can you do this by say tuesday.In the words of Pink Floyd "This can be made into a monster if we all pull together as a team.I know this is a short time table but then again slAKers aint pussies so I think we can do it.If we have to do it in wood ok lets just do it.the BZ will be better for us.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    What I had in mind was essentially building a workbench - 7 feet by 3 feet and about 36 inches high - basic desk-top height. I want to use the 4x4's as legs and bolt a 7 foot long 2x6 frame around it at the top and another frame around it midway down the legs but leaving one side open for chairs. I'll attach three 2x6's across the frame as supports then plank it with 2x6's.

I'll collect the stuff, then build the legs and frame in my garage drilling all the bolt holes, and bolting it together. When I know it all fits, I'll disassemble it, then transport the legs, frame, and pre-cut supports and planks to Stennis where we can re-assemble it and nail in the supports and planks. Since the wood is all pressure-treated it should hold up a LOT better than the stuff that's there now. It shouldn't cost anyone more than about $10 each. I don't think any donations are necessary - unless you want to donate a pressure-treated 2x6 or two.

I'd like to build this thing in about two weeks - say the weekend of April 12th?

Last edited:

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Is there a way to make a donation for this project? Im offshore right now but wouldnt mind chipping in $20. Just to let you all know, I'll probably never get to see stennis as its to far for me, but I like the idea of some people volunteering their time to clean up a shooting spot. You all did a great job.
    SJ we mite have meets in the future at the BZ that you wouldent miss for the world.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Oops. Bambam it looks like you and I posted at the same time. Next Sunday sounds fine.

I think steel would be a good choice for the frame. I do think though that we should leave the table free to be moved, so people can move it to clean around it as we have to do last month. On the other hand it may be too heavy to be moved.

I considered plywood for the top, but it just doesn't hold up long at all. The laminated layers separate soon after it gets wet. I think pressure-treated 2x6's will hold up a lot better. I was thinking of building it the same way you build a deck - with 1/8" spaces between the planks to allow water to drain off. I've done a lot of decks this way, and they hold up very well. Of course when I build a deck I usually sink the legs in 16" holes filled with concrete.

Oh, and bad news - I haven't seen any more of those steel 2x4's in the scrap bin anymore. I'm afraid we may have missed our window, but I'll ask the shop guys. By the way, when we plan this we have to remember we won't have electricity when we assemble stuff at Stennis.

230gr

Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    Jefferson Parish
    My-rifle,
    I have some PT lumber to donate to the project. I can help put it together if you work on it during the week, and a trailer to get to the BZ. If it is a site built project on April 12, I have cordless tools and/or a generator. Sounds like a great idea!! I'm in

230gr.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Oops. Bambam it looks like you and I posted at the same time.

I think steel would be a good choice for the frame. I do think though that we should leave the table free to be moved, so people can move it to clean around it as we have to do last month. On the other hand it may be too heavy to be moved.

I considered plywood for the top, but it just doesn't hold up long at all. The laminated layers separate soon after it gets wet. I think pressure-treated 2x6's will hold up a lot better. I was thinking of building it the same way you build a deck - with 1/8" spaces between the planks to allow water to drain off. I've done a lot of decks this way, and they hold up very well.

Oh, and bad news - I haven't seen any more of those steel 2x4's in the scrap bin anymore. I'm afraid we may have missed our window, but I'll ask the shop guys.
    They probably only needed so many support arm thingy.Thats ok get what ever we can fabricate into targets that will do.So how can we score the wood?What is the size of the tables?

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Right on! Or should I say, "Bump On!"

I'm thinking 84" x 30" for the table top. That would give us space to set 5 - 2x6's with 1/8" spaces between the planks. Thats 1 nail-width between planks, and the planks on the edges will overhang the frame by about 1/4". I think having supports under the table-top every 28" will give us enough support under the table-top to allow people to pile ammo on it or jump on it or throw a deer carcass on it if they want to without making it bow. Having the extra supports will also prevent the table-top planks from warping as time goes by.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Ok people. It's time to pony up. I would like to try to assemble this in my driveway this weekend. Who can produce a 2"x6"x8' pressure-treated plank this weekend? I'm going to get the frame parts, so I'll need ya'll to come up with 7 planks.

GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    Guys, one of the things that got to me when I was out there was a lack of rifle racks, and either having them clutter the table or laying on the cases on the ground.
    I'm willing to build a couple racks, but I'd have no way of getting them out there in my car. I'll build them if someone wants to swing by before a weekend shoot and pick them up from my place in Lacombe.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Guys, one of the things that got to me when I was out there was a lack of rifle racks, and either having them clutter the table or laying on the cases on the ground.
    I'm willing to build a couple racks, but I'd have no way of getting them out there in my car. I'll build them if someone wants to swing by before a weekend shoot and pick them up from my place in Lacombe.
    When you gonna have them ready?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cherry-Bandit
    Top Bottom