Why not just pinch the pipe?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inewton55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Instead of a blind flange, why not bolt on an open valve and then close the valve once it's secure?

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Just wondering why the pipe leaking oil could not be pinched to greatly reduce the flow till the releif wells are finished.

That is because the riser is 20" ID and then you have the choke and kill line that are 5". One jt of marine riser weighs 92,000 lbs. Not to mention the wall thickness of the riser either.

Old_Demon

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    Thanks for the laugh there...

Actually I was talking about a slip blind. And I can show you a design that requires the removal of only 2-3 bolts to slip blind it.

And the installation of an open valve is not such a laugher either.

We used these same methods in refineries, and they work well. Granted it's a lot more difficult using ROV's at 5,000 feet, but is much easier than most of the things they're trying now. And it will work - laugh all you want to.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Actually I was talking about a slip blind. And I can show you a design that requires the removal of only 2-3 bolts to slip blind it.

And the installation of an open valve is not such a laugher either.

We used these same methods in refineries, and they work well. Granted it's a lot more difficult using ROV's at 5,000 feet, but is much easier than most of the things they're trying now. And it will work - laugh all you want to.

So "since you know so much then", please explain to me and the peanut gallery just how are you gonna remove those riser bolts when it requires 3 people to do such on the rig floor?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Thats kinna like the ICE agent that asked me at the Dallas Airport when I flew in from Guatemala "Why we cant just send a team of divers down there to get the job done?" I looked at him with the stupidest look I could posible find and smile back, then I asked him how many times he has seen a diver at 5000 of water, and then he proceeded to TELL ME the GOM is NOT THAT DEEP. :wtc::wtc:

Top Bottom