New Guy from BTR/P'ville..and asking advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YellowChevy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hey guys,
    I've been lurking for about a month now and thought I should introduce myself. I am 26 years old and currently living & working in the BR area. I am a Service Writer/Manager at TNT Performance on Airline Hwy. We specialize in repair & performance of light duty diesel trucks. I graduated from St Amant in 02 and then graduated from LSU with a BS in Management in 2005.

I currently own a XD .40, various hunting shotguns & rifles, and just purchased a Doublestar M4. The AR is totally new to me and I can already tell a bunch of you guys know your stuff regarding these weapons. I hope to learn from you guys and make some friends along the way.

And this is where the newbie asks for advice...
    I have always been interested in the LE/military line of jobs. I feel like I have the drive & talent to succeed in the profession. I am looking at joining the National Guard. I took the ASVAB last night and (without bragging) did well on it. The recuiter told me that I qualified for just about any job I wanted. This will sound cliche, but I want a "cool" job. Something exciting and that many people do not get a chance to do. For example: helicopter pilot, military intelligence, fly an UAV, special forces. Does anyone have experience in these fields and can tell me the pros or cons?

Also, I am thinking of going into OCS. My recruiter recommended to go in as an E4 and go through Basic Training and then apply for OCS soon after. His reasoning was that an officer who went through enlistment has some experience of what the enlisted soldiers go through and that will help make a better officer. Is this valid?

Basically, none of my immediate friends or family is in the military so I need the advice from people who have direct experience. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks for the help!:cheers:

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Welcome. I originally enlisted in the national guard to help pay for college, went ROTC, spent several years in the regular army and currently in the army reserve (20+ years total).

If you have the itch to do the cool stuff like going airborne, ranger, SF, you need to pursue that path early in your military career.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have no personal experience, but over the years I have heard many people say that their recruiter lied to them; basically that they will say anything you want to hear to get you to join. I don't know this firsthand, and perhaps they are not all like that, but I would suggest getting some personal references for your recruiter, just like you would for a doctor or lawyer or employee. Find some people to talk to who can vouch for him/her and that their experience went just like they were promised.

On another aspect, did you really graduate LSU in three years? Are you that strong of a student? If so, I would consider other avenues as well, such as the FBI or CIA. If you want an opportunity to do something most people don't get to do, use your brains.

I know the Air Force has some pretty cool jobs involving high tech electronic equipment, satellites, etc.

Bob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Vernon Parish
    Welcome
    I was in the Army 23 years , loved every minute of it - well almost. I flew helicopters as a warrant officer. My suggestion would be to do the officer thing up front (commision or warrant). Your recuiter may have the best of intentions but when you get to your unit they may have other plans like work in the job you enlisted for and we trained you in and we will talk about OCS later.
    (My disclaimer) All this is from a active duty perspective and it may be different in the National Guard and or Reserve. Last thing whatever you do have both eyes open and DON'T raise your hand until you are 100% sure.
    Again welcome.

Bob

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Welcome
    I was in the Army 23 years , loved every minute of it - well almost. I flew helicopters as a warrant officer. My suggestion would be to do the officer thing up front (commision or warrant). Your recuiter may have the best of intentions but when you get to your unit they may have other plans like work in the job you enlisted for and we trained you in and we will talk about OCS later.
    (My disclaimer) All this is from a active duty perspective and it may be different in the National Guard and or Reserve. Last thing whatever you do have both eyes open and DON'T raise your hand until you are 100% sure.
    Again welcome.

Bob

Excellent advice. If you know for sure you want to be an officer, there really is no benefit to waiting. Get a contract that allows you to go from basic training to OCS. If you wait, there could be mobilizations, etc. that keep you from attending OCS...plus, there is no guarantee your commander would endorse your OCS packet.

YellowChevy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    On another aspect, did you really graduate LSU in three years? Are you that strong of a student? If so, I would consider other avenues as well, such as the FBI or CIA. If you want an opportunity to do something most people don't get to do, use your brains.

I know the Air Force has some pretty cool jobs involving high tech electronic equipment, satellites, etc.

Well technically 3.5 years (7 semesters). I tested out of the basic Math & English in high school and I also took summer classes for 2 years to get some of the prereqs out of the way. So I'm not a genius by any means but I like to think I have some intelligence. What I dont have is experience and thats what i want to get from the military/3 letter agency.

From what I've researched, its very tough to get into one of those 3 letter agencies without having some criminal justice/law enforcement/military background. I can join the Guard and get the military experience while having the Guard pay for me to go back to school to increase my academic qualifications.

Keep all the advice coming guys, it really helps.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I was in the Navy as enlisted and became a pilot 7 years later. Don't trust a recruter and get everything in writing. Since you already have a degree, sign up for officer program and flight training when you go in. DO NOT go E3 route hoping later to go to OCS. You have the credentials to become an officer, do not go the Warrant Officer route either. If you decide to fly helo's remember that fly by wire helo flight time isn't a plus in finding a job in the civilian market.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    That's comforting to us civilians.:eek3:

I wear corrective glasses and could see fine with them then, just as I can now. Actually, my corrected vision is 20/10. :p However, the army doesn't want, or have to take pilots that need glasses, so I took another route since that's what I wanted to do.

Don't worry; I've been flying for almost 28 years and over 8,000 hours. I can see just fine.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I wear corrective glasses and could see fine with them then, just as I can now. Actually, my corrected vision is 20/10. :p However, the army doesn't want, or have to take pilots that need glasses, so I took another route since that's what I wanted to do.

Don't worry; I've been flying for almost 28 years and over 8,000 hours. I can see just fine.

I was confident that you could see. I just thought it was funny the way it was written and couldn't pass it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Polizzi
    Top Bottom