New Guy from BTR/P'ville..and asking advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dydog4566

LA CHP Instructor # 411
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Greenwell Springs,LA
    Military is a great place, you may want to pick something that translates well to the civilian job market, in case you decide that ain't where you want to spend the rest of your career.
    I would definately go the officer route too....speaking from an ole noncom's perspective,
    but definately listen to your senior noncom's when you are a rookie officer, they didn't get where they are being stupid. Good luck to you, go make us proud

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Welcome Cody! Good to see ya. Are you stuck on .mil or have you consulted any of the local agencies? I know State is on a hiring freeze, but a lot of the local SO's are beefing up, I know we are. We've even hired a few off the street and put straight into patrol that had good educational backgrounds.

Last edited:

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    Trust me, the recruiter cannot tell you where you will end up or what you will be doing.

I went in as a pilot with a college degree. I could fly anything up to a 727. I could plot a course to anywhere in less than three minutes. My vision was perfect and the health was great. They promised a flying job.

I got a duty assignment as a company leader for a bunch of infantry grunts. The only flying I did was as a passenger during relocation assignments.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Looking back, I regret that I didn't serve when I was young enough. The mid 80s were probably the best time ever to join the US military-largely because our forces had a Commander in Chief who was an ex Army Reserve officer who respected those he commanded. It was a combination of being talked out of it by relatives and having goals I thought I wouldn't be able to achieve while serving. Turns out I didn't achieve any of those goals anyway. I was kind of hard headed though. The Army recruiter even gave me a call after I was well into my 30s saying that my college foreign language credits (I didn't graduate) could get me an age waiver and get me into the Warrant Officer program because they needed interpreters.

Top Bottom