Be careful if you carry cash

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I think that might be the case in certain areas still, but I tend to doubt it's a large problem in several areas.

I have a friend that flies low in everything he drives. He has the speeding tickets to back it up too. He doesn't make apologies, doesn't try to wiggle out of them.

He also happens to travel with quite a bit of cash. I know because I happened to be pulling out his driver's license in front of an officer a couple weeks ago, and a wad of $ fell out into my hand. I nearly jumped out of my skin.

Last edited:

Just A Number

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    This is the most egregious abuse I've seen in a while...time for this to be struck down. Of course it never should have been instituted in the first place. Here we get a lesson in the law of unintended consequences when legislators pass poorly written laws.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    No defending the cops on this one..

If it went down as the report states, I'd be one pissed off dude. I would have given them $22,000 worth of fight if it was my money.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I remeber seeing a investigative report a while back about another town (in texas I believe) being well known for this and targeting out of state tags. IIRC, they would garee to drop whatever BS charge they had tacked on in exchange for forfeiting the cash. I remember several people interviewed being taken for several thousand dollars each. They used some sort of law that basicly said if you had more than X amount of cash o your person, it was assumed to have came from criminal activity and could be confiscated.
    I know there are a lot of good LEos out there and on this forum, but how can they still wonder why people wont give up useless info because they feel it was going to be twisted and used against them. Reasons like this are why even people with absolutely nothing to hide will not willingly submit to searches. What ever happened to the burden of proof being on the accuser? How much more widespread would practices like this be if it never made it to the news? As much as I cannot stand liberal media, this is one roll they do serve well.

LouisianaGuy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Walker, LA
    That is truly insane, i suppose they assume that in this day and age of debit and credit cards that ppl dont carry cash anymore.

Granted this guy had 22k on him, but he broke no laws and appeared to be the normal joe, and likley had a business card on him etc to prove he had a job, and then to automatically tell the cop he had cash in his car was basically the honest thing to do.

I know several people who dont use debit or credit cards at all, they are strictly cash only people, altho i dont know if any of them carry that kind of cash ever but its possible.
    I once worked for an old man who owned a tire store....He carried 2 small brown paper bags....in one he kept his small money as he called it, basically demonitations less than 50's
    And the other brown bag had 50's and up...this was actually the First of Two times in my life that i ever saw a 1,000 dollar bill, and he had alot of them....he was one of those old school guys...if i had to guess i would say that he probably had 10k plus on him at all times....i can say it would have been a VERY BAD DAY for the police department had they have come across some one like this old fellow, who actually had all the money he would have needed to keep lawyers on the cops constantly.
    He was one of those guys that didnt care about the cost of something, it was the principal of the matter that mattered most, and he would pay what ever it took to prove his point LOL

This just a clear case of BS on the police's part, and i usually agree with the boys in blue.
    Heck i bet that officer had some criminal offenses in his day LOL
    Mike

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    That is truly insane, i suppose they assume that in this day and age of debit and credit cards that ppl dont carry cash anymore.

Granted this guy had 22k on him, but he broke no laws and appeared to be the normal joe, and likley had a business card on him etc to prove he had a job, and then to automatically tell the cop he had cash in his car was basically the honest thing to do.

I know several people who dont use debit or credit cards at all, they are strictly cash only people, altho i dont know if any of them carry that kind of cash ever but its possible.
    I once worked for an old man who owned a tire store....He carried 2 small brown paper bags....in one he kept his small money as he called it, basically demonitations less than 50's
    And the other brown bag had 50's and up...this was actually the First of Two times in my life that i ever saw a 1,000 dollar bill, and he had alot of them....he was one of those old school guys...if i had to guess i would say that he probably had 10k plus on him at all times....i can say it would have been a VERY BAD DAY for the police department had they have come across some one like this old fellow, who actually had all the money he would have needed to keep lawyers on the cops constantly.
    He was one of those guys that didnt care about the cost of something, it was the principal of the matter that mattered most, and he would pay what ever it took to prove his point LOL

This just a clear case of BS on the police's part, and i usually agree with the boys in blue.
    Heck i bet that officer had some criminal offenses in his day LOL
    Mike

They would just kill/threaten him to call the lawyers off, and it would cost him more than his money. People who think a lawyer is going to get them somewhere against police injustice have obviously never tried it.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I recall a story several years ago where it was presented as the officers targeting blacks but I ASSUME they would target whomever they assumed they could abuse with "forfeiture laws".

Nothing new, I'm afraid. There is so much going on that if one can wrap his mind around it all it's blatantly obvious what has been planned and what is yet to come.

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Last edited:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I remember when Sulphur did this, they were seizing thousands of dollars and dope, made national news. Think 20 / 20 or one of them did a show on it.

That was really when Sulphur made the jump from local yokel cops to what they are now. New Court house, new cop cars...they seem to stay on top of everything still. Lots of people were pissed though, losing sacks of cash.

And IIRC the pay went straight up for the street cops, like commission or blanket raise.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I recall a story several years ago where it was presented as the officers targeting blacks but I ASSUME they would target whomever they assumed they could abuse with "forfeiture laws".

Nothing new, I'm afraid. There is so much going on that if one can wrap his mind around it all it's blatantly obvious what has been planned and what is yet to come.

Not to sound racist but a lot of blacks deal in cash only. They have no bank account, debit/credit cards. Thus making them a high profile cash target.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Not to sound racist but a lot of blacks deal in cash only. They have no bank account, debit/credit cards. Thus making them a high profile cash target.

I know. That's why I worded my response in the manner that I did.

There always has been a huge distrust of the System in the Black Community that is finally becoming more mainstream in this country.

Canaries in the coal mine and all that good stuff.

Top Bottom