Be careful if you carry cash

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    He had two clients where police agreed to drop the cases in exchange for a cut of the money -- $1,000 in one case, $2,000 in another. In both cases, that was less than what they might have paid in attorney fees.
    Miles called that "extortion."

Wow.

"Oh, you want your money back? Well then why don't you give us a cut? It's cheaper than paying a lawyer to get it back."

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    I was out with a friend one evening and he was bragging that he had $2000 cash in his wallet and flashed it to us. He was on his way home with a couple of other guys when he wrecked his motorcycle and was killed. His other friends called the cops and waited at the scene. When the first cop showed up he took his wallet out of his pocket to verify the identity. When the wallet was released to his parents there wasn't any money in it nor did they ever receive it.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I was out with a friend one evening and he was bragging that he had $2000 cash in his wallet and flashed it to us. He was on his way home with a couple of other guys when he wrecked his motorcycle and was killed. His other friends called the cops and waited at the scene. When the first cop showed up he took his wallet out of his pocket to verify the identity. When the wallet was released to his parents there wasn't any money in it nor did they ever receive it.

It happens, two LEO's from Jackson, LA were busted about a month ago for stealing stuff out of a car.

http://www.zacharytoday.com/view/full_story/18351232/article-East-Feliciana-Deputy--wife-arrested-for-computer-theft?

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Sulphur police dept does this on I-10 I believe.

Not too many years back SPD made ABC news about this very stuff. Haven't heard if they still do that. I remember they were sued in court and lost but the poor victims lost their money and property by having to sell it to pay legal bills. I think some of the smaller towns just east of LC do that.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Not too many years back SPD made ABC news about this very stuff. Haven't heard if they still do that. I remember they were sued in court and lost but the poor victims lost their money and property by having to sell it to pay legal bills. I think some of the smaller towns just east of LC do that.

Correct. Jeff Davis Sheriffs office used to do this. It made 20/20 if I remember correctly. They also used to confiscate drugs and let the people go. Keeping the drugs for themselves. This was all 20 years ago. I know the new Sheriff and he will not tolerate any crap.

southlaems

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Houma, LA
    Real quick story, Several years ago I flew into Houston to purchase a box truck with a liftgate for a side busisness i had. The truck was 37k new at the dealer. I found the truck online. They would not accept a letter of credit with a check, cashiers check or money order. I flew there with 40 k for taxes and such and was picked up from the airport by the dealership. When we got to the dealership, the truck that was in stock had hydraulic braked and i needed air brakes. I opted for a used truck off the lot so my trip wouldnt be a waste. The used truck was 17k. As I drove back home with 23k in a bank bag, I was stopped between the state line and lake charles where not only did I sit there being asked 20 questions about my trip and intentions but US Immigration came out to check the truck as did drug dogs. I explained since i was not financing the truck i had to bring cash, showed the website of my company and the sales reciept for the truck that day as well as plane ticket from that morning and it still was a hard sell. Not sure of the town off of I-10 but it was a huge PITA.... I left with my money though.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Real quick story, Several years ago I flew into Houston to purchase a box truck with a liftgate for a side busisness i had. The truck was 37k new at the dealer. I found the truck online. They would not accept a letter of credit with a check, cashiers check or money order. I flew there with 40 k for taxes and such and was picked up from the airport by the dealership. When we got to the dealership, the truck that was in stock had hydraulic braked and i needed air brakes. I opted for a used truck off the lot so my trip wouldnt be a waste. The used truck was 17k. As I drove back home with 23k in a bank bag, I was stopped between the state line and lake charles where not only did I sit there being asked 20 questions about my trip and intentions but US Immigration came out to check the truck as did drug dogs. I explained since i was not financing the truck i had to bring cash, showed the website of my company and the sales reciept for the truck that day as well as plane ticket from that morning and it still was a hard sell. Not sure of the town off of I-10 but it was a huge PITA.... I left with my money though.

I think the only towns between the border and Lake Chuck are Vinton, Sulphur and Westlake.

Top Bottom