Old ww2 munitions bunkers by English turn

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldsman350

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Hammond
    I was at the seafood festival and they offered helicopter rides. Well long story short we flew around the bends of the river and they had some really cool looking ammo bunkers out there. Just wondering if anyone knows the history of them. All i can find online was they were ww2 navy muntions bunkers. They were really close to the river and had some kind of antenna by it. Seems like they were maintained I.E grass being cut. Just pretty cool stuff you never get to see. Got to ride on a helicopter for the first te and I feel like a kid. Need to find a gas turbine powered helicopter for my next ride.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I camped out by them when I was a kid in the Boy Scouts. You pretty much got it. They used to be interconnected by a small rail line that went out to the river to load the transport ships during WW2, IIRC. I remember finding some old corroded brass during one of our hikes by one of the more overgrown bunkers. I think the area is now covered with comm antenna for the .mil.

yamarider450

EO1(SCW)U.S NAVY SEABEE
    Rating - 92.3%
    11   1   1
    Jun 1, 2008
    Slidell, la
    It is the coast guard base . I use to go there and do my annual shooting qualification for the seabee's. Up unti 5 yrs ago they were still being used and housed enough ammo you probably would not comprehend lol. That also had an unbelievable armory, I have been in it.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    When I was in the Boy Scouts, we camped there a few times. It was called Charlie's Pond. It was am ammo dump in WWII but I think it may have been used as recently as Vietnam because I can remember finding spent brass from M16s all over the place.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    When I was in the Boy Scouts, we camped there a few times. It was called Charlie's Pond. It was am ammo dump in WWII but I think it may have been used as recently as Vietnam because I can remember finding spent brass from M16s all over the place.
    Yep, Charley's Pond. It's actually labeled on Google maps. Man, did that bring back memories. I remember building a big ass tower right next to the pond one trip and it was there for at least the next few years, IIRC.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    There were some bunkers on the airbase in Houma. I remember a scout trip when one kid got his foot stuck in the air vent. They were built with a big cement wall with a steel door for the front. The rest of it was covered with dirt and grass grew on it so it couldn't be seen from the air. Don't know if they are still there. Another interesting thing is the cement pillars on the airbase. They were used to tie down the blimps that patrolled the coast.

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007
    It is rumored that some training for the Bay of Pigs was done on the site. Originally Navy site and closed when Alvin Calendar Field was opened.(Joint Reserve Base New Orleans). If you drive the area you can see the remains of warehouses and a above ground swimming pool, unless they have been demolished in the last few years. Most of the land belongs to the parish now. I knew some guys who had worked there.

oldsman350

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Hammond
    I think that coast guard base has something to do with directional gps signals transmitted from that location. Just happend to google coast guard base english turn and it pulled up something about a dgps site.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    There is a Coast Guard post in the woods near Clinton. It was for the old LoranC directional system. You could use triangulation from sites to figure out your location.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Ok, another question for you NO dwellers.

Off General Meyer, NE of Terrytown, there appears to be an abandoned hospital. What is the name of it?

Also, somewhere on the Westbank, I can't find it now, there is some sort of monument. It has 5 squares arranged in the shape of a star. Anyone know what it is?

Jar922

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Belle Chasse
    I'm a deputy in Plaquemines and it is part of a coast guard base but also part of tulane research center. We get calls every now and then of people trying to sneak on or hunting hogs there.

Top Bottom