“Negligent Suicide” with a .500 Smith & Wesson revolver

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should the owner of the gun be charged?

• The owner should be charged

Votes: 11 34.4%
    • The owner should not be charged

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters

Grendal

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Metairie
    http://bearingarms.com/negligent-suicide-with-a-500-smith-wesson-revolver/

The overwhelming super-majority of gun owners are thoughtful, kind, and generous individuals. They’re good people and fun to be around, which is why almost every kind of rifle and pistol shooting sport is experiencing significant growth in recent years. Unfortunately, in every large group there are jerks, and the shooting sports are no exception.

One particular kind of jerk is the sadist that delights in giving a new shooter a powerful, punishing gun to shoot, knowing that the shooter lacks the skill and experience to handle the recoil.

The Internet is full of “funny” videos of this kind, where people are battered, bruised, and cut open by guns they have no business firing, like this woman nearly killed after a jerk put a Desert Eagle chambered in .50 Action Express (.50 AE) in her under-trained hands.

If you watch the video, you’ll see how the handgun spun around in her grasp, and the barrel hit her in the face. You’ll also note that the gun did not lock open on an empty chamber; the idiot had provided her a gun that cycled and put another round in the chamber before it was pointed at her head.

It was only through dumb luck that she didn’t take the top of her head off.

Unfortunately, a woman visiting from South America just went through a nearly identical experience with a revolver chambered in .500 Smith & Wesson Magnum, except for the fact that she did manage to pull the trigger a second time while it was pointed at her.

She is now dead.

The Ralls County Sheriff’s Department says the shooting happened Sunday at the Salt River Gun Range near New London. Authorities say 25-year-old Andrea Jinneth Corredor-Rivera of Colombia died at the scene.

Corredor-Rivera died of a single self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Ralls County Sheriff Gerry Dinwiddie tells WGEM-TV that the woman was shooting a .500-caliber Smith & Wesson handgun when the strength of the gun’s recoil caused her to lose control. She was visiting family in the area.

The sheriff said the gun spun around in her hand, leading to a second fatal shot.

The Ralls County (Missouri) Sheriff is not expected to file charges in this case, which frankly infuriates me.

If someone put to an inexperienced driver behind the wheel of a 865-horsepower NASCAR Sprint Cup Car and turned them loose, and that inexperienced driver killed herself, would the person who knowingly put an inexperienced driver in the car not be held responsible for a criminal act?

While the specific charges would depend upon prosecutor’s discretion and local laws, several possible felony charges could be brought against the person who or persons who created the situation. Society would demand for charges to be brought for such gross irresponsibility ending in death.

In this situation, giving a .500 Smith & Wesson Magnum—the most powerful commercial sporting handgun cartridge made—to an inexperienced shooter with multiple rounds in the gun, is roughly the equivalent of putting an inexperienced NASCAR car behind the wheel with a half tank of gas.

The odds of a shooter without substantial experience firing and controlling heavy magnum handgun is incredibly low. As a result, loading the firearm with more than one round, when knowing that the shoot has little to no chance of controlling the gun after the first shot, is criminally negligent.

Andrea Jinneth Corredor-Rivera is dead by her own hand, but she was put in the situation where she died by the negligent, idiotic and frankly barbaric acts of someone who loaded multiple chambers of a gun that she had little to no chance of controlling.

The person who handed her that firearm should face charges for her death.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm undecided as to negligence, but decidedly disgusted with the "person/persons who created the situation".

Assuming this was a S&W .500 revolver, aren't they single action?

Question answered: SA/DA

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Last edited:

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I am on the fence as to charges being filed as well. Yes, it was a very stupid and irresponsible thing to do but in the end (no pun intended) it was the shooters choice to fire the weapon; no one forced her to pick up the weapon and again, no one forced her to pull the trigger. Very sad and tragic situation all the way around that could have and should have been prevented and i think we can all agree on that.

That said, if charges were filed, what sort of punishment would you see fit for this situation?

toyota38

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2014
    Lake Charles Louisiana
    S&W 500 is Double Action, the person that let her use the gun surely likely didn't expect the end result of his/her actions. "Stupid" yes, but I don't think they should go to jail!

Grendal

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Metairie
    S&W 500 is Double Action, the person that let her use the gun surely likely didn't expect the end result of his/her actions. "Stupid" yes, but I don't think they should go to jail!

I am a responsible gun owner. I would not hand an inexperienced female with a small stature such a powerful handgun as a practical joke.

What if that female in the story was a close family member? Would you feel any different?

I am on the fence about the charges also, but I feel the gun owner definitely shares the responsibility in her death.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    Thanks for the post. It hits close to home. I can't watch it till I get home.

The daughter of my neice, home for the summer, missed our last 500 outing and wants to shoot mine this weekend.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I have a 500 and have had close to a dozen other Shooters fire it. Even if they are experienced shooters I walk to the line one on one and tell each one individually, even if two or three are going to fire it within a moments time, exactly what to expect only after watching me fire two rounds myself. The world is full of assholes and this unfortunately tends to bring them to light.
    Criminal charges in my opinion do not fit this situation of accidental death.

Last edited:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Wow....

I was reading the comments from the other video posted. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT9RUC-UHAo ) Not sure if he is correct...but it sure is odd to see multiple cases like this of double firing.

Robert Watson's post reads.....

Slow motion videos of this gun firing show the hammer bouncing backwards from the heavy recoil--which in turn rotates the cylinder into position and the gun fires the next shot by itself. A friend of mine had this happen to him while shooting his. He is presently arguing with Smith about the issue--they say there is no problem. Personally I won't shoot one if these until Smith corrects this issue. Early Model 29s had a similar issue where the cylinder would unlatch and turn backwards under recoil which caused a "click" for the next shot instead of a bang. Smith and Wesson's position was there was no problem--and it took years for them to admit there was an issue.

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Old news. Point noted though.
    I only give inexperienced people who want to shoot a limited # of rounds initially, 1 for pistols and usually 2 on a semi-auto rifle that isn't a .22.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Next time I go, I will take a picture of the ceiling of the local indoor range. Don't think this is only the high powered guns. It has gotten where I rarely shoot if anyone that I do not know is at the range.

As far as Smith fixing it, barring a lawsuit, good luck.. Sent a M&P back because if a loose slide, poor trigger reset. They fixed the trigger, love that, did not address slide fit in paperwork or on the gun, I sent a note telling them NOT to replace the sights, they replaced the sights. Oh, and they replaced them with expired night sights. You can see them in a dark room... if you put your eyes a few inches from the rear sights. But you can't see the front sight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom