04 4runner brake help.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    My 4 runner started making a buzzing noise all of a sudden. brake light came on and the pedal is very hard if you press it it barely stops. anyone have an idea what the hell it is.

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    i see the booster. not seeing vacuum line i see about 5 electrical connections and break hard lines. i could be missing something let me go recheck.

Last edited:

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    Pic of it

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342062941.908535.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342062941.908535.jpg
      58.2 KB · Views: 60

kdavis1984

Practice, Practice
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Denham Springs
    That picture looks like you are looking at the master cylinder. All the hard lines are for each wheel (4 wheel disc) the booster should be behind that, huge, round, black. Mounted on the firewall

kdavis1984

Practice, Practice
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Denham Springs
    It must be electric like Ben was thinking. In that case im not sure. Was hoping it was just a popped off vacuum line, easy fix. Good luck, hope it does turn out to be simple

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    It almost sounds like the ABS motor is engaged, explaining the noise and hard pedal. Possibly one of the ABS sensors could be loose? Try disconnecting the battery for 10 or 15 minutes to let the computer system discharge. Hook back up and see if noise still there and pedal hard.

Did you have a brake job or any suspension work done recently?

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    And no work has been done to it lately. we have had a bit of bad weather lately i thought it could possibly gotten some water where it wasnt supposed to be.

Charles1959

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.
    I'm thinking that the ABS motor is running constantly, try to build up pressure in the accumulator. The accumulator normally has about 2500 lbs pressure in it and it seems for some reason the pressure isn't building up. I don't believe there is a vacuum booster on this brake system and that all assist comes from the accumulator. From the pic it appears that the front of the reservoir and the fill cap have had dirt knocked off of them recently as if fluid was added. Did the fluid level get low enough that air entered the system? Air in the system will prevent it from building enough pressure to shut off as it is designed to pressurize fluid, not air. The whole brake system may need to be bled, best done by pressure bleeding. NOTE: BEFORE SERVICING AN ABS BRAKE SYSTEM YOU MUST BLEED ANY PRESSURE OFF THE ACCUMULATOR BY PRESSING THE BRAKE PEDAL DOWN ABOUT 20 TIMES WITH THE IGNITION KEY IN THE OFF POSITION!! This pressure stays high even when the car is turned off. Even if the system hasn't built up enough pressure to shut the motor down you still could have well over 1000 lbs pressure in the accumulator. If you crack open one of the lines you could have brake fluid injected through your skin if the pressure isn't bled off first. That would make for a nasty medical problem. Look up the brake bleeding procedure for your vehicle.
    Now, if there is no possibility of air getting into in the system, you probably have had a hardware failure and I'd get it to a good mechanic. ABS brakes are complicated.
    Good luck with it!
    Charlie

Last edited:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    There should be a fuse for the ABS system. If so, unplug the fuse and start up and test your noises and brake pedal then. But don't drive like that.

That has got to be the most on topic and coherent post I have ever seen you make... :eek3:

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    No fluid was added. It actually is over the full line. i think it is high because the brake pedal is probably down causing the fluid to go into the reservoir.

Top Bottom