06 f150 5.4 just took a dump

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Sorry about your problems, I can only add more bad news.
    If you bring the truck to a mechanic, he will want to check the cam solenoids/advance springs which involves taking the upper part of the motor down, about 8 hrs. labor.
    The alternative is to drop the oil pan (+- 3 hrs) and see how many parts (or remains of) are in the pan and base your decision from there. The oil pickup will likely be clogged and the pan will have metal shavings in it.
    A replacement motor is not a cheap option, for some reason they are in demand.
    The only thing that is really practical (from a cost point) is to start looking for a new truck.
    Friend of mine has been there, I tried to help him out but, the motor was just plain shot. Remarkably poor design from Ford.

As a note, these engines use 5w-20 full synthetic oil; anything else just will not allow the cam advance to work and will clog the oil galleries in the block/head.

Does it have to be full synthetic?

sgtdww504

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    I don't find the MPG to be that far off my 09 gets 23 on the highway. And that's at 74 mph. An op glad to hear your going to fix it. And that's a good price as my cost from Ford is about that.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    The 4.6 and 5.4 have always been tin cans. Big size, terrible power output, irritating to service, etc.
    Plugs changes are not bad with the right swivels/extensions, even with my whipple on top of the engine. It also puts down near 600rwhp. Runs 11.4's via a t56. It gets the jobs done to me.
    chain tensioners and cam phasers are the most common failures...
    well well vince. I see you are here as well. My truck is been through a little change since you swapped the engine in for me ;)

Last edited:

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think y'all need to do the math the old fashion way rather than believe an on board computer/there is usually a lot of difference...

He answered the question I wanted to know. The SCT (and all similar programmers) totally suck at fuel flow calculation. Only way to know for sure with a computer is to have a factory fuel flow rate sensor.

The PCM does not livestream injector pulsewidth or fuel pressure to the SCT. The SCT reads the PCM Load and RPM outputs, then guesstimates based on expected values (which tend to be very optimistic).

Easy test. Fill up tank near interstate. Travel 27 miles down interstate (or closest distance to fuel station). Put in 1.5 gallons of fuel. Blame last gas station's pump for not topping off. Drive back. Put in 1.5 gallons of fuel, blame headwind.

@SVT, 600rwhp isn't stock LOL. My 5.7 makes 400rwhp N/A but it's not stock either and it only gets 10mpg city, 16 hwy.

Last edited:

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Does it have to be full synthetic?
    Ford specs call for full synthetic oil. If you look at the latest API specs they have eliminated ZDDT/ zinc dialkyldithiophosphate. One reason is because of catalytic converters. This is the stuff which protects flat tappets in earlier motors. I add it to all my small 4 cycle equipment. Standard diesel oil like Rotella has it.
    Now if you want to get picky North American specs or API allows for synthetic oil to have a petroleum base. The European specs will call specifically for a synthetic base with some engines. Muddle through Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, Audi oil specs and I guarantee you will leave foggier than you were. It's a very confusing world we live in.

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I wasnt aware there was stipulations sir :)

technically it's just pointless dyno numbers. Youll never see a dyno line up next to you. Kinda of like a full size 3v ford getting nearly 30mpg. Not gonna happen

LOL you're right, but when it's modded it's not a tin can anymore :P

I agree it's pointless dyno numbers, I know my truck probably can't break 12's at the moment.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I rather see you in the 13's than with a broken truck. You gotta pay to play. I grenaded my trans in August. It's been sitting under a cover since. Just enjoy what you have and all will be fine.

5.7......a tundra?

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    2002 Tahoe. 5.3 overbored .120", ported/polished/milled .050" heads, 218/222 .600" 114LSA cam, ORY w/ 3" exhaust, 4L80E with internal upgrades and shift kit, 4600 stall triple disc converter, some weight reductions, etc ;)

Ugly as sin too.

Last edited:

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    If.......and this is a big if i can save the motor( i think i figured it out ) I will allow one of you sceptics to take a 100 mile trip with me. We will fill up. drive 100 miles and fill up again. Then do the math for for MPG and then compare it to the SCT and my laptop that data logs. And if I get the MPG that I claim Im getting the person riding with me is gonna walk his as back home. Any takers?

Top Bottom