$1,000 running/driveable car possible?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    Hey guys and gals,

Looking for another car and was wondering if it was possible to get a functional one for $1,000 or less.

Don't need AC but a heater would be necessary to defrost windows.

Would prefer not to do much work to it as I'm not in the car repair mode right now.

Is it possible?

belmor

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Monroe
    Should be quite doable, I have a friend who has an ugly but good running /driving/cold A/C Miata for that kind of money.

~B~

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Hey guys and gals,

Looking for another car and was wondering if it was possible to get a functional one for $1,000 or less.

Don't need AC but a heater would be necessary to defrost windows.

Would prefer not to do much work to it as I'm not in the car repair mode right now.

Is it possible?
    very. You have to look a while to find a good one, though.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    Absolutely can be done, I'd say. However, expect work to be done.

A friend of mine (lives in Hammond) picked up a '98 Honda Prelude for $1K today in Lafayette and drove it home. The back bumper and truck lid is black, the right rear is black primer, the hood is grey primer, the rest of the car is what's left of the factory red paint. Interior had no rips, stains, or broken plastics. No strange smells either. Everything works....power windows, locks, power sunroof, cruise, radio, all the lights, gauges, heater, AC, etc. It needs new tie rod ends, CV shafts, and an IAC valve. About $400 worth of maintenance and a tune up. Runs like a champ.

I bought a 1994 Nissan Sentra for $350 once. Original paint, just faded bad. Owners didn't know what was wrong with it. Ended up being a dead battery. Ran great. No AC but the heater worked. Wasn't pretty but it got me from A to B for a little while.

Just gotta look!

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    ive been looking for a good car for under $3k for 3 months or so now.

for $1k you can indeed find a vehicle on craigslist that runs.

pickup trucks and vans go cheaper than cars.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Absolutely. Have cash in hand look on craivslist daily and be ready to go as soon as ad is up. When I was in high school I would find many and only way to get them was to sign out of school with cash ready to go. Good luck.

scottjajr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Oakdale
    Check the thrifty nickle paper. There is always cheap one in your price range around leesville and Alexandria aera, also there is a few car dealers in your aera that have cars in your price range.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    I bought one for $1400 off the wholesale cars at a new dealer. Never did anything to it other than having my daughter put 40,000 miles on it. Sold it outright three yrs later for $2,100.

New car dealers take in a lot of cars that are nice but not what they want on their used lot. They make great deals on these cars to get rid of them.

Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    Nope, she doesn't have to be pretty. Been searching around here but it's a much smaller area than the larger areas like Alexandria or Lake Charles.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Like said above, go to some dealers and look in the back before they send em to auction. I just bought my daughter a truck for $1000 and all it need was a rear universal joint.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324335831.283538.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324335831.283538.jpg
      18.2 KB · Views: 36

Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    Well, found a few that might fit the bill. Most of them need very minor repairs that I'm familiar with such as brakes, etc...

Question about getting plates:

So when I buy a vehicle, we both go to the DMV and the seller signs the title over to me, correct?

From what I've gathered, looks like I'll pay tax and a title fee. I'll also have to show proof of insurance.

Is the tax the amount the vehicle was sold for or the book value?

Looking at a few vehicles with 4 or 6 cylinders. Just trying to get something more practical than my Z06.

Top Bottom