10/22 rifle bbl on a ruger 10/22 charger

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunbeaux

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Boothville La.
    Have been looking for a target rifle and am thinking of converting my 10/22 charger into a rifle has anyone tried to do this put a 10/22 rifle on a Ruger charger.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I haven't seen one done(haven't really looked) but I suspect the receivers are the same and would accept a Ruger or aftermarket barrel.
    You can check on rimfirecentral.com for other info.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    They are the same receiver but I strongly urge you to check all ATF/NFA rules prior to attempting to do this.
    You may be making an illegal firearm and that's not a wise thing to do...

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Why would it be illegal to put a longer barrel on a pistol? is it illegal to put a longer than 16" barrel on an AR pistol? I don't think its illegal, maybe not the best handling pistol in the world, but I don't see how it would be against any ATFE regs.

Now if he were talking about putting the charger barrel on a 10/22 rifle receiver with a stock, completely different ballgame.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Why would it be illegal to put a longer barrel on a pistol? is it illegal to put a longer than 16" barrel on an AR pistol? I don't think its illegal, maybe not the best handling pistol in the world, but I don't see how it would be against any ATFE regs.

Now if he were talking about putting the charger barrel on a 10/22 rifle receiver with a stock, completely different ballgame.

This. Silly, but legal.

JokerGun2.jpg

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    A Charger receiver is the same as a 10/22. Why Ruger ever thought the Charger was a good idea is beyond me... Of course I bought that 10" MKII that time. :rolleyes:

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Feel free to look into the legalities on your own. You will get a lot of internet bravado without a lick of any legal knowledge here. Also known as any advice here is worth what you pay for it. On the other hand there are a lot of companies currently offering carbine conversions for glocks, take it for what you can find on your own.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    The only reason I advise caution is that depending upon what you do illegality is quite easy to stumble upon. I believe you can put any length barrel desired on a pistol but a slight change in the stock can run you into NFA territory.
    Better safe than sorry is the way I see it.
    Not trying to invoke the sarcasm gods of the site with ill-fitting advice.
    ;)

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    The OP stated that he wanted to convert the charger to a target rifle. This is totally legal. He can put whatever length barrel and whatever stock he pleases. The rule once a rifle always a rifle applied to this type of conversion.

What the mystery is, now that the NFA branch is flip-flopping in this issue lately, is can he convert it back to a pistol after since it began life as a pistol.

Like stated earlier, always cya and check the legal requirements yourself.

Gunbeaux

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Boothville La.
    Just wanted to know if the bbl would fit. the reciever is marked Charger and the 10/22 rifle is marked 10/22 I guess this to say it is allowed to have a short bbl on it. I would live just to trade it for a 22 rifle and not change it but I put the gun in the Firearms thread but havent got any offers thanks for the replys

Top Bottom