$1000 Reward for Custom Colt Commander 1911 .45

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jburn34

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I had a pistol stolen from me several weeks ago in Shreveport, LA. It was a Colt Commander frame, with extensive customization by Bob Martin and Wilson Combat. The slide was black and the frame was aluminum. It had "Martin Defender" etched into the slide.

I will give $1000 cash reward for the gun, no questions asked. Any information about its whereabouts is also appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    225-931-6946

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Any pics? You need to send that to every pawn shop and gun shop in LA, MS, AR and East TX. Whoever stole that one may go looking for a new holster, etc. even if they decide to keep it for themselves...

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I had a pistol stolen from me several weeks ago in Shreveport, LA. It was a Colt Commander frame, with extensive customization by Jim Martin and Wilson Combat. The slide was black and the frame was aluminum. It had "Martin Defender" etched into the slide.

I will give $1000 cash reward for the gun, no questions asked. Any information about its whereabouts is also appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    225-931-6946

Jeremy,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear of your misfortune. Do you have the serial?

jburn34

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of it or the serial number. The gun was owned my my grandfather and then by my father. I can assure you that every gun I have now is documented, pictured, and otherwise recorded.

The gun had checkering on the trigger guard, mainspring housing, and front strap, among other things. It had adjustable rear sights. The closest picture I can find is posted below, although the sights and grips are different from the one pictured.

20795-1.jpg

cajuncutter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2007
    Shreveport
    Will keep an eye out at the gun show coming April 5th and 6th I believe (I am in Shreveport). Also if I know the officer/'s checking guns in I will put the word out. You got a serial number? I can understand not posting it out on the public forum but if you like pm it to me or email it to me.

jburn34

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Will keep an eye out at the gun show coming April 5th and 6th I believe (I am in Shreveport). Also if I know the officer/'s checking guns in I will put the word out. You got a serial number? I can understand not posting it out on the public forum but if you like pm it to me or email it to me.

Thanks, I really appreciate that. Amazingly (or unfortunately), I do not have the serial number. Neither I nor any of my family members that owned the gun can find any of our records with the serial number.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Thanks, I really appreciate that. Amazingly (or unfortunately), I do not have the serial number. Neither I nor any of my family members that owned the gun can find any of our records with the serial number.

I'd contact Wilson or one of the other people that worked on it and have them check their records. The serial seems like it would be a pretty important part of regaining possession of the weapon.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    If it was sent to Wilson Combat in Arkansas for work done, they will have a copy of the s/n. You just need to give them the appx date it was sent, and the name of the person who had the work done. If it was you, then send them a copy of your DL and such, if it was the other family member, do the same unless someone is deceased, but they will direct you on what to do.

ridgerunner1488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    i will keep a eye for it at the gun shops and pawn shops around Mississippi
    because i think all people that steal peoples guns should be boiled in OIL

jburn34

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    contact Wilson then file report with the PD or SO, get that gun in NCIC..

Police report was filed day of the incident. Everything is entered in the NICS database. I will contact Wilson this week, although I have no idea what year it was sent there, but there should be some record of my last name, etc. I do have a lot of paperwork from the gunsmith Martin and, although I think he is since out of business, I will see if I can find him. I also sent it off for durakote on the slide a few years ago and I'm going to see if I can find the records from that.

Jeremy, was anything else stolen along with the 1911?

I had a ton of car stereo equipment stolen, along with some random items like jewelry, shotgun shells, a kershaw knife, flashlight, etc. I never leave firearms in my truck overnight, but on that specific night I had gotten distracted unpacking my truck and did not take the pistol out of my middle console. I didn't even realize it was stolen at first because I was sure it was in my gun safe. Lesson learned, for sure. I now have a lock box bolted to the frame of my Tahoe for those instances where I leave my carry gun in my truck when parked somewhere during the day.

My neighbor's truck was broken into the same night and they stole a laptop and a couple of shotguns (they were going hunting the next morning). They also broke into another neighbor's truck although I do not know what was stolen. We live in a gated neighborhood but the gate logs have not turned up anything. They got so much stuff that they had to have had a truck or ATV's to cart it away.

One neighbor did report that he caught 6-7 young guys in a red full sized truck pull up and approach his newly built house at about 2am. They must have though he hadn't moved in yet and when he came outside they immediately waved at him, turned around, jumped back in the truck, and took off. He says it was around the same time period but we aren't 100% it was the same night.

I really appreciate everyone's advice and concerns. I did not expect to get this much support.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Police report was filed day of the incident. Everything is entered in the NICS database.
    I really appreciate everyone's advice and concerns. I did not expect to get this much support.

Not to rain on your parade; but your weapon was NOT entered NCIC if you did not give them a serial number.

Once the gun was entered in NCIC (National Crime Information Center); the state TAC (Terminal Agency Coordinator) will look over the information and approve the entry and then assign the gun with a NIC number. For a pistol the number assigned will start with the letter "G" and then a random digit number. This NIC number will follow this weapon until it is recovered. Once it is recovered, the agency who finds the weapon contacts the police dept who entered then stolen weapon to confirm it is said weapon and then it will be cleared off NCIC and given back to you.

I just want you to be fully informed of what is going on behind the scenes. I should know, I was a TAC on the local and state level for 5 yrs.

Also, any defining characteristics to the weapon, like the engraving of "Martin Defender" and the two tone slide need to be told to theses guys as there are separate fields on the NCIC entry that they can input all of that info.

ktate

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    New Orleans
    nickatnite is correct about NCIC although I expect Wilson will be able to connect your gun to a serial number and allow a proper entry to NCIC. Actually, it's a good thing that other items were taken from you and your neighbors. Hopefully serial numbers are known for some of the other stolen articles and guns. Many leads will develop from the pawning of the stereo, jewelry, etc. Further, the more perps involved the better the chance of recovery. My personal opinion is your Colt will be sold hand to hand on the street (a few times) before it makes it to a pawn shop. It may eventually make it to pawn, but side arms seem to stay on the street longer than long guns.

cajuncutter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2007
    Shreveport
    Was the gun worked on by Henry Martin here in Shreveport? If so and you need help getting in touch with him let me know. He is hard to get a hold of but he can be reached.

jburn34

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Was the gun worked on by Henry Martin here in Shreveport? If so and you need help getting in touch with him let me know. He is hard to get a hold of but he can be reached.

My dad is pretty certain his first name is Bob and thinks he moved to St. Gabriel. I think he knew or possibly was associated one time with Clark's in Princeton.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Have you contacted Wilson yet??

You need to get this stuff ASAP. When my shotgun was stolen, they recovered it about 45 minutes later in a traffic stop because I had the S/N's and a VERY detailed description in the truck and on my phone.

Not to bug you, but the more time you spend not researching the gun, the less likely it will be recovered.

DAVE

bayoukajun

Old & Cranky
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Gonzales, La.
    My dad is pretty certain his first name is Bob and thinks he moved to St. Gabriel. I think he knew or possibly was associated one time with Clark's in Princeton.
    Bob Martin was a 1911 gunsmith in St Gabriel in the 80,s and 90,s. He did some work for me but I think he is long out of business and I don't know if he is still around.

There is still a Bob Martin listed in the St Gabriel phone book and the location is close to where I remember his shop being. Maybe????

Martin, Bob
    440 Pecan Dr
    Saint Gabriel, LA 70776-5503
    (225) 642-8260

Last edited:
    You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom