120 yr. old tombstone...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfgang1952

LOCAL Fla. Par, Cha. Pres
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Mt Hermon / Franklinton La, USA
    I don’t know if this has been around before.

Even 120 years later, many people haven’t learned through history.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

And this guy died 120 years ago!
    --
    In God we trust, not government.

blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    This reminds me of the headstones I saw in Virginia. Not as political as this but alot of veterans from just about every war ever fought. I recall one where the officer had flown in WW2,Korea and Vietnam.

Takuan

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    NOLA
    The "Democratic Party" then weren't the Democrats of today. Since Jackson was a "Democrat" in his day, it might be interesting to know what made this fellow so mad.

Takuan

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    NOLA
    Since Jackson is referenced on the tombstone, it seems reasonable to assume this fellow didn't much like ol' Andy.

wobble

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Lafayette
    The "Democratic Party" then weren't the Democrats of today. Since Jackson was a "Democrat" in his day, it might be interesting to know what made this fellow so mad.

Actually this is a bit of revisionist history that most of us younger than 40 were taught in school. The Democrats haven't really changed from how they started. What actually changed was the term "liberal." The classic meaning of liberal used to reflect a desire to promote individual responsibility and freedom, which was how the Republican party (the party that ended slavery and advocated for civil rights legislation) was described. That has been perverted today to mean, "I can do whatever I want with no consequences" and as such was co-opted by the Democrat party right around the same time they decided to try to take credit for the civil rights movement even though the Democrats were primarily the ones standing in the way of civil rights legislation. Specifically, the president who gets the credit for signing civil rights legislation, LBJ, was one of the loudest congressmen speaking out against civil rights legislation when it was first attempted.

Jackson believed in predestination and used that belief to justify many overreaching and extra-constitutional things. So, the Democrats of the 1820's were not that different from the Democrats of today. They've just done a really good job of playing the PR game and controlling what is printed in history books. Our last 70 years or so is the only time in history that I can think of where history was not written by the victor. Instead, the Republicans allowed the Democrats to bully them into butting out of the class rooms using the reasoning that government should let the educators educate. Rather than acting directly, the Dems used their community groups like Planned Parenthood to push for the agenda they wanted in the class room while maintaining in political circles that neither they nor the Republicans had anything to do with setting educational curriculum. Now we've come full circle and they've had defacto control over what's been taught in our schools for so long that they don't think us little people can do anything about it. Which is why they've stopped trying to hide their influence any longer.

Takuan

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    NOLA
    Not sure what you mean by "revisionist history," but there really isn't any disputing that Andrew Jackson was a Democrat... indeed, the party that became the Democrats of the 19th century was the product of Jackson's presidency, though they didn't have their first "official" convention until the 1840s. Book recommendation: Jon Meacham's "American Lion."

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Revisionist history really exist and its surprising how quickly they do it. I took American history in seventh grade and again in eleventh grade things I was taught in seventh grade had changed by the eleventh. History was always may favorite subject and the only one I kept straight a's in all through school. So I know it wasn't just what I remembered. I wish I had both of the text books so I could really compare.

Takuan

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    NOLA
    Well, unless you're getting your history from someone like David Barton (a decided revisionist), there's absolutely no chance of making Andrew Jackson out to be anything but a Democrat.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Im referring to american history in general things get twisted and left out. Even things I hear and read now are different them they were 4crazy years ago when I was junior.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I'm far from read/learned in this subject, but...

Wasn't the Democratic party of the Civil Rights era big business in the South with the need for minority votes? Which in turn alienated the working class and pushed them towards the Republican party-- thereby forming the more modern "liberal/conservative" distinctions we use today?

And oh, yeah-- a two party system at extreme ends of the poles = epic fail. Life and death aside (and we could argue that point)-- what on the face of the Earth is so black and white?

wobble

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Lafayette
    Not sure what you mean by "revisionist history," but there really isn't any disputing that Andrew Jackson was a Democrat... indeed, the party that became the Democrats of the 19th century was the product of Jackson's presidency, though they didn't have their first "official" convention until the 1840s. Book recommendation: Jon Meacham's "American Lion."
    I'm not sure how what I wrote can be read to suggest that Jackson wasn't a Democrat. I was referring to what you said about the parties switching sides. They haven't changed much, only the image has changed.

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    Since Jackson is referenced on the tombstone, it seems reasonable to assume this fellow didn't much like ol' Andy.

I reckon so.....he was with the Union army's 10th Indiana Cav (125th Vol Infantry).

One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Indiana Regiment (10th Indiana Cavalry). — Cols., Thomas N. Pace, George R. Swallow; Lieut. -Cols., Benjamin Q. A. Gresham, George R. Swallow, Thomas G. Williamson; Majs., George R. Swallow, George F. Herriott, Thomas G. Williamson, Sylvanus Milner, DeWitt C. James, George R. Mitchell. This regiment, the 125th of the line, was organized during the fall and winter of 1862-63 at Vincennes and Columbus, was mustered in Feb. 2, 1863, and left the state May 3, moving via Nashville to Pulaski, Tenn. It was stationed at that point and Decatur, Ala., on railroad guard duty during the Atlanta campaign, having several skirmishes with the cavalry forces under Roddey, Wheeler and Forrest. It fought with Forrest at Pulaski Sept. 28, losing 8 killed and 42 wounded. The detachment at Decatur, under Maj. Williamson, fought Hood's forces for four days in October and a portion of the regiment, under Lieut. -Col. Gresham, was engaged at Nashville, Little Harpeth, Reynolds' hill and Sugar creek, losing 8 killed, 43 wounded and 75 captured, but it captured 300 prisoners with their arms, and 4 stands of colors. During Dec, 1864, and Jan., 1865, the detachment at Decatur participated in the battles of Flint river, Indian creek, Courtland and Mount Hope, and captured 10 pieces of artillery, 150 prisoners, 150 wagons and 500 mules. The regiment was reunited in February and moved to New Orleans, thence to Mobile, where it participated in the reduction of Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely. After the occupation of Mobile the 10th cavalry proceeded to Eufaula and Montgomery, Ala., thence to Columbus, Miss., and from there to Vicksburg. From early in July until the last of August it was engaged in garrisoning and patroling the counties of Holmes and Attala. On April 28, 1865, Capt. Gaffney, Lieuts. Twigg and Reeves, and 35 men, paroled prisoners, on the way home were killed by the blowing up of the Sultana, and 5 men were killed and 70 injured in a railway accident in May, 1864. The regiment was mustered out at Vicksburg Aug. 31, 1865. The original strength was 1,254; gain by recruits, 93; total, 1,347. Loss by death, 167; desertion, 88; unaccounted for, 47.

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    Here's a little more about him:

Nathaniel GRIGSBY. Son of Reuben Davis GRIGSBY Sr. & Nancy BARKER. Born 11 October 1811 in Nelson Co., KY. Died 16 April 1890 in Attica, Harper Co., KS. Buried in Attica, Harper Co., KS. He was a Civil War veteran of the 2nd Lt. Co. G, 10th Indiana Cavalry. He was a farmer.

Nathaniel was a dear firend of Abraham Lincoln.

After Lincoln moved to Illinois in 1830, Nathaniel moved with his father to Carroll Co., MO in 1855.

In 1860, he was living in Norborne. He wrote to Lincoln and received an appointment as Republican Precinct Committee Man. He placed Lincoln's name on the 1860 ballot. All of Natty's neighbors were Southern sympathizers. He had been talking about electing Lincoln for president in town. One morning at about 2 or 3 a.m. a neighbor rode up and told Natty not to light any lights. The neighbor wanted to warn him that his neighbors were planning to murder him and if he wanted to live he should be on his way.

After the warning, Natty moved back to Spencer Co., IN where he and four of his five sons enlisted in Company C 10th IN Cavalry (Richmond Davis did not enlist). Natty was named 2nd Lieutenant.

The family appearently returned to Carroll Co., MO but in 1885 they moved to Harper Co., KS and settled on a farm in the extreme northwest corner of the county. In 1890, they moved to Attica, KS. Nathaniel was buried in Attica.

Takuan

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    NOLA
    Aha! So it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that this fellow wasn't one of those milquetoast Republicans who sought reconciliation after the Civil War. But wanted to punish the South, and those perfidious Southern Democrats who fomented treason, secession, and war. (And he probably didn't think much of the party's black-hearted Northern wing for supporting such half-measures as the Missouri Compromise, either.) Heh, heh...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom