1911 45acp vs 9mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I didn't want to hijack a thread here so I figured a would start one here. For those who have both or shot both, is the 9mm (single stack versions) as good a shooter as the 45 in recoil, accuracy and overall pleasure to shoot? I love the powerful recoil and ergonomics of the 1911, but I really am not a huge fan of 9mm Pistols for range guns. I would think I would love a 10mm and researching these and have shot them before, so I know I like this version, but more docile 9mm I'm not sure. Opinions??

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I have a handful of 1911s and am down to only one .45 remaining, the others are all 9mm. The main reason was caliber consolidation, but the 9mm is obviously cheaper. Felt recoil is less, although that wasn't part of my decision making. It makes smaller ventilation holes than the .45, but I trust the 9mm to accomplish the job should it ever be needed.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Dont know about the tisas but i have one of these and was suprised at the trigger in it. All around smooth shooting.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Dont know about the tisas but i have one of these and was suprised at the trigger in it. All around smooth shooting.
    I was looking at the 10mm version of it. If I were to get a 9mm version I wouldn't want to spend alot for one.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    If you looking for a range gun, go with what you enjoy. If you looking for a real world defensive weapon go with long gun but if pistol is only option, 9mm beats it with capacity, and most shooters can better control 9mm. That’s not to say, 45acp can’t be controlled just as well but cost is a limiting factor for many. The gun you shoot most is the gun you will shoot best.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If you looking for a range gun, go with what you enjoy. If you looking for a real world defensive weapon go with long gun but if pistol is only option, 9mm beats it with capacity, and most shooters can better control 9mm. That’s not to say, 45acp can’t be controlled just as well but cost is a limiting factor for many. The gun you shoot most is the gun you will shoot best.

A Long Gun would be difficult to conceal carry.

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    Got both and have shot both for years---without going into all the ifs, ands or
    buts and all other things mentioned above it's 9MM for me ---still shoot the 45
    from time to time though!!!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I looked at an alloy framed 9mm 1911 recently. very nice. I expect recoil would be similar to a full weight 1911 in .45.
    I shot a 10mm s&w years ago. Recoil felt odd. Probably between 9mm and .45, which is not what I was expecting.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    At 65 with hints of arthritis creeping in to my wrist, I am sending more .356 lead down range these days than .452. 200 rounds per session of 230gr hard ball is not as much fun as it used to be.

I load the 9's to gnat fart levels that still cycle the slide while punching holes in paper.

But I still carry the caliber God instructed St. John Moses Browning to build the 1911 to handle so aptly.

Top Bottom