1911 Barrel Link replacement

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yamaha0343

Glock > XD
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm new to 1911s, so please bear with me..

This past weekend while practicing with my +P defense ammo (Hey, I much prefer finding out my gun doesn't like them at the range!), my Para P12 stopped ejecting shells. Took it apart and found the barrel link broken. How hard are these to change, and any suggestions on where to get one?

Thanks,
    Alton

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    There should be a number engraved on the link (from #1 to #4 IIRC)...that is the size you need. You can order them from Brownells, Shooters Connection, Midway, etc. As I understand it, you just knock out the pin, replace the link and check to make sure no other fitting is required for proper operation.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will chime in if I've missed anything.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    If the link broke, the barrel lugs ain't cut right. Get thee to a smith for proper fix. Changing the link would be equivalent to putting a bandaid over a 2" deep gash in your groin.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    What Scooter said is most often true but your gun is a Para which means thee link is a MIM part. With the links being cheap I would swap it to make sure I didn't just get a bad MIM part before I sent the gun off. IT may break again fairly quickly, if it does your lugs need work.

yamaha0343

Glock > XD
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    Thanks guys! I'm gonna try the new link first and see what happens. I ran 100 rounds of FMJ no problem through it, then as soon as I tried the +P, it malfunctioned.

Top Bottom