1911 Decision. Go big or go home?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    Picture011.jpg

ParaUSA 14-45.
    Yes, the other semi-custom 1911's are sweet, but for the price difference between this one and those, I got my wife an XDm as well. I went through the same mental gymnastics when looking for a quality 1911, but in the end could not justify 2000+ on a range toy. Not sniping at anyone's Baer/Brown/STI/etc...but my Para does exactly the same thing, is equally reliable (youtube videos of the para 14-45 shooting 1000 rounds as fast as trigger can be pulled) and costs a hell of a lot less.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Picture011.jpg

ParaUSA 14-45.
    Yes, the other semi-custom 1911's are sweet, but for the price difference between this one and those, I got my wife an XDm as well. I went through the same mental gymnastics when looking for a quality 1911, but in the end could not justify 2000+ on a range toy. Not sniping at anyone's Baer/Brown/STI/etc...but my Para does exactly the same thing, is equally reliable (youtube videos of the para 14-45 shooting 1000 rounds as fast as trigger can be pulled) and costs a hell of a lot less.

The Para's are double stack with proprietary mags aren't they? I've shot a nice custom Para that was reworked and it shot like a dream. The price isn't an issue. I mean it's a lot of money to me, but at the same time I'd rather buy right the first time than buy lose a little money and then buy the one I wanted the first time.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    But then again, if money is NO object, I would personally buy one of these right here. Another TRUE piece of history...

Straight from the FS: ad...

I am posting two unique pieces of firearms history for a friend who isn't computer savvy. Many of you may or may not know about the FBI SWAT gun trials, but several gunmakers such as Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Novak's, Springfield, etc. were asked to build guns to FBI specs for their SWAT team guns in the nineties (RFP 6990 to be exact.) Springfield ultimately wound up winning the contract but the FBI had previously decided to go with Les Baer's 1911 based on their specs. Baer submitted a total of 5 pistols for evaluation and after winning the contract, the FBI sent the pistols back and requested Baer change the rear sights to Novak's as well as give them lifelong service/maintenance on all the contract pistols yet to be built. At this point Baer declined as he could see the storm clouds on the horizon and recalled all five pistols. Baer then sold these 5 pistols to Randy Currin at American Tactical and they were sold to the public. Well here boys and girls are 2 of the 5 pistols! With there only being 5 of these in existence, to say they are rare would be an bit of an understatement. These guns are similar to the current SRP (Swift Response Pistol) however they were shipped with extra parts as per request by the FBI. The parts are all fitted and serial numbered to the gun including:

-NM barrel/barrel link/pin
    -NM barrel bushing
    -3 x extractor
    -slide stop
    -firing pin/spring
    -firing pin stop
    -recoil plug

These parts were requested from the FBI for rebuilding the pistol after 20K rounds had been fired. The guns were also shipped with three Bear Coated Les Baer premium mags. If you will notice in the pics, the guns are not marked "SRP" as this was something Baer only put on guns sold to the public. Now comes the best part, the guns are both accompanied with hand signed letters by Les Baer himself stating that these are of the original 5 pistols sent to the FBI for RFP 6990! Both guns have letters from Baer explaining the history of them as well. One gun is NIB (the one pictured) and the other has had a box of Winchester 230gr white box ball shot through it as it was going to be a carry piece. I have pics available of the other pistol and I will post them later.

He has priced them at $3,995 for the used pistol and $5,995 for the NIB. These are truly unique and a must for any serious 1911 collector. Please feel free to email or call with any questions you might have and additional pics can be sent on request. I encourage you to search on Google or Yahoo for more information on these incredible pistols.

Thanks,
    Duncan Kimmerling
    gunrnnr@sbcglobal.net

JBFBI002.jpg

JBFBI003.jpg

JBFBI006.jpg

Here are some Q&A:
    Has that gun been refinished?

Absolutely not, this is the original DuPont Teflon coating (Bear Coat by Rocky Mountain Arms) that was used on these pistols. The newer Baer pistols have a more flat looking coating on them which is different. Baer stopped using this finish around 2000-2001.

Is the documentation truly a stand alone letter signed by Les? Can you post it? Does it reference the serial number in the letter?

The letter is a stand alone INK SIGNED letter by Les Baer himself on his letter head with each guns serial numbers on the letters. I will be happy to provide this letter to any interested parties but would prefer not to post it. They also have a letter on Baer letterhead that discusses their history as well.

If this is a real deal this is also likely a 100% magnafluxed gun.

This is 100% the real deal and any interested party is welcome to contact Les Baer and give them the serial number for verification. As far as magnafluxing goes, I don't know if Baer did that or not. They might be able to answer that for you.

Thanks,
    Duncan Kimmerling
    gunrnnr@sbcglobal.net

Here are pics of the USED one:
    DKFBI002.jpg

DKFBI001.jpg

DKFBI003.jpg

Last edited:

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    The Para's are double stack with proprietary mags aren't they? I've shot a nice custom Para that was reworked and it shot like a dream. The price isn't an issue. I mean it's a lot of money to me, but at the same time I'd rather buy right the first time than buy lose a little money and then buy the one I wanted the first time.

While mine is a double stack (14 + 1), Para makes many single stack models, in the standard SA action as well as their LDA proprietary action, in various grades of finish. The double stack mags are around 30/ea, which is not bad compared to some (HK) mags. Many fine 1911's out there to choose from, in fact it is an embarassment of riches, for a buyer looking for a truly quality 1911 these days.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Wilson, Baer, or Brown, dude.

All the rest are wannabe's. ;)

Of course, you can go total custom with the likes of Hoag, Yost, Burton, etc.; but you'll grow old waiting on it.

Examples of those first three mentioned are available for your perusal at Jim's. If you find one you like, then you can look for an example at less than retail +20%...

You are the reason I got a Brown. Should be in next week. George at www.migunslingers.com is good to deal with. He's well below MSRP :)

Last edited:

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Are there any particular reasons to go with Wilson over Nighthawk, Volkman, Ed Brown, etc.

The Nighthawk has the 1" 25 yard guarantee.

Back in 1998, I had a Colt Gold Cup NM that had a good bit of custom work done and I thought it was an EXCELLENT shooter until...

I wound up selling that due to my divorce, but I've had the chance to shoot a Wilson (not either of the ones I posted) but one of his other custom guns and I swore that if I ever spent BIG money on another .45, it would be a Wilson. That first one I posted (the Bill Wilson Carry) is the one that Bill himself claims to carry daily and after repeated request, he finally started selling that item.

Now I've currently got a Smith PD1911 Gunsite, and I would say that it is better than the Colt I had, but still no Wilson or Baer by no means...

Top Bottom